sfmpco

"BBC Sherlock" articles & other miscellany

I haven't either.  Sherlock is all that IMDb has on his acting credits.  Maybe his parents want him to finish school first.  He seems to have changed his stage name from Louis Oliver (which of course fooled no one) to Louis Moffat.

Maybe it was more than a hope on my part...

I know he was going for auditions.

Well I call it another non-story...lots of them about! Ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always thought that was the likeliest outcome....a standalone episode.

• Like 1

After reading this part:

However, any future Sherlock is likely to be a while off yet, given that according to Brealey, showrunners Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss “have had their heads turned by Dracula”

... it occurred to me that, given their history with Sherlock, their enthusiasm for Dracula is likely to wane a bit over time.  And maybe by then they'll have some new ideas for Sherlock.  How long this takes may depend to some extent on how well Dracula is received and whether it goes for more than one series.

• Like 1

I still kind of trust Steven that they would get back to Sherlock one day...as long  as they can synchronise  everybody else.

Oh and s few thoughts on Loo's comments:

- she is very loyal to the fans and may think we deserve more.

- she  possibly wants to do another while Una is still able.

- I am sure if Martin knew Una was keen, it may sway him  a little too...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, besleybean said:

- she  possibly wants to do another while Una is still able.

- I am sure if Martin knew Una was keen, it may sway him  a little too...

I agree that she may have Ms. Stubbs' age in mind.

I've never seen evidence that MF doesn't want to do any more episodes.  His remarks about some aspects of filming being "not fun" were taken way out of context, and he's said as much.  He does say he wouldn't want to do Sherlock all the time like a traditional American show, with no time for anything else, but once in a while seems to suit him fine.

• Like 2

Oh yeah sorry, I wasn't trying to cause trouble...I take no notice of stupid click bait journalism!

I don’t read all the Sherlock news to be honest but I think that everyone (involved in the show) assumes that there will eventually be another series. As soon as Dracula is done, which I’m sure will be a stand alone three parter, then talk of Sherlock will begin. Then it will just be a matter of when they are all available.

Twenty three years since the Grenada series I still keep expecting to hear that someone will attempt another traditional Holmes series? I think two things stand in its way 1) the popularity of Sherlock (and other modern versions) and 2) no one wants to follow and be judged against Brett.

who knows?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I don’t read all the Sherlock news to be honest but I think that everyone (involved in the show) assumes that there will eventually be another series. As soon as Dracula is done, which I’m sure will be a stand alone three parter, then talk of Sherlock will begin. Then it will just be a matter of when they are all available.

What's been announced is three feature-length episodes, true.  But if that's a huge hit, who knows?

• Like 1

True. Unless Dracula gets the stake through the heart at the end of the final part?

• Haha 1

Can't imagine that.

If Mark&Steven are doing it, it will be brilliant.

But then, you also need an intelligent audience!

😁

6 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

True. Unless Dracula gets the stake through the heart at the end of the final part?

If a horror movie is popular, there's generally a sequel, logic be damned.  Though the Moftisses do seem to have (more or less) resisted the temptation to bring JIm Moriarty back.

5 hours ago, besleybean said:

Can't imagine that.

If Mark&Steven are doing it, it will be brilliant.

But then, you also need an intelligent audience!

I'm sure we're all assuming it will be brilliant, and will therefore draw an intelligent audience.  Just like Sherlock -- which took them about ten years to get out of their systems (at least for the time being).  So I'm placing no bets.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:51 AM, HerlockSholmes said:

One can only hope.... 😛

(Sorry; never been a big fan of Dracula...)

• Like 1

I don't gamble, either.

But it isn't that Sherlock is out of anybody's system, it's getting them altogether in one place at the same time...

Plus we have to allow Mark and Steven(and everybody else!) to take on other projects.

EDIT: I'm not a Dracula/Vampire fan, either.

But Mark is and I accept that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, besleybean said:

... it isn't that Sherlock is out of anybody's system, it's getting them altogether in one place at the same time...

Plus we have to allow Mark and Steven(and everybody else!) to take on other projects.

Quite true.  We're actually fortunate that they're not contractually obligated to keep doing Sherlock when they have some really neat ideas for Dracula (we'd probably get Dracula episodes thinly disguised as Sherlock) -- and even more fortunate that they weren't contractually obligated to Dr. Who when they got the idea for Sherlock!  If it isn't fun for them, it's not likely to be much fun for us either.

However, I don't think getting everybody together is really the insurmountable problem that they make it out to be.  Nor is it the whole picture.  When they're in the mood to do more Sherlock, why don't they check with everyone and see when they *do* expect to be available, and get them signed up?  Surely they could find a slot in the not-too-distant future when everyone would be open, and during the wait they could be writing scripts and such.  But I've never had the impression that they've done that for past series, they just kept blaming the delay on the actors' busy schedules.

• Like 2

I really do think everypne's career has just gone mega.

• Like 1

Well, Benedict's has seriously taken off with the MCU, and the BAFTA he won for Patrick Melrose as Best mini-series tonight will be an extra boost. And they have already paid a kind of  homage to the Granada series with TAB, not to mention going up against Jeremy Brett's masterly interpretation. Whatever Mr Freeman's views are on the fandom, he could not replace Edward Hardwicke, either. 

We don't know if he'll win best actor.

But yes I was pleased for the team and lovely to have Andrew there to announce the win and congratulate Benedict.

• Like 1

??? What are you two going on about?? :smile: 

Apparently BC has just won a BAFTA for Patrick Melrose.  Hang on -- yup, he did.  And Patrick Melrose won for best miniseries (apparently presented by Andrew Scott and accepted by BC).

As for the rest of it, your guess is as good as mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I was just referring to the BAFTAS....

the rest of you under rocks, or something?

Ha!

• Haha 2

The "B" in BAFTA does stand for British, after all.  And some of us don't have cable TV.  At least that's my excuse!

• Like 3