sfmpco

"BBC Sherlock" articles & other miscellany

There’s always Facebook and YouTube, dearest amphibian princess! Both American, if memory serves. 

P.S. Are you sure you want to be classed as John Watson’s best friend? Are you a Kung-fu master or hold any self-protecting martial arts certificate? The dear doctor has a violent streak a mile wide, as became evident in TLD. That Sherlock forgave him is a totally different kettle of fish!

Yes you ALL have the internet and BC fans should be paying attention!

• Like 1

Sorry -- I didn't know there was going to be a quiz!!!   :P

• Haha 3

And no conferring!

• Haha 1

Oooh, Ducky… troest2.gif
We have to mention that he FINALLY won a BAFTA. After 8 nominations in (i think) 10 years. With Hawking, Richard III, Turing…

• Like 3

Yes, it really was "about bloody time".

33 minutes ago, J.P. said:

We have to mention that he FINALLY won a BAFTA. After 8 nominations in (i think) 10 years. With Hawking, Richard III, Turing…

Oh, for sure!  Please do mention it then.  ;) 

• Haha 1

Ah. Well, heck … congratulations, Mr. C!!! It is indeed about time! (Er…. psssst, Ms. Dabbler, what's a BAFTA? 😛 )

• Tongue 1

BAFTA stands for British Academy of Film and Television Arts.  It's their equivalent to the Oscars and the Emmys combined.

Sherlock has won several BAFTAs (as well as BAFTA Cymrus, which is to say Welsh BAFTAs).  Mr. C has been nominated for Sherlock (and other things), but had not won till now.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 1:18 PM, besleybean said:

the rest of you under rocks, or something?

I want to raise my hand to acknowledge it, but apparently my rock is qualified as gigantic boulder that it's soul-crushingly difficult. 😛

• Haha 1

To be fair, as the century continues...living under a rock may not only becomes appealing, it might actually prove to be essential.

• Like 3

Yes.

I am significantly happier after I detach myself from social media, and when I don't read the news.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:07 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

BAFTA stands for British Academy of Film and Television Arts.  It's their equivalent to the Oscars and the Emmys combined.

Sherlock has won several BAFTAs (as well as BAFTA Cymrus, which is to say Welsh BAFTAs).  Mr. C has been nominated for Sherlock (and other things), but had not won till now.

Er … I was being facetious, but thanks!

Can Americans win BAFTAS?

8 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Yes.

I am significantly happier after I detach myself from social media, and when I don't read the news.

I have virtually abandoned Facebook, but I get nervous when I don't have an eye on the news. That's just what THEY want ……..

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I have virtually abandoned Facebook, but I get nervous when I don't have an eye on the news. That's just what THEY want ……..

32 minutes ago, besleybean said:

Exactly.

Are you sure?  Seems to me like most of the people who are in the news spotlight are there because they enjoy the attention (mentioning no names....).  And it's often people who aren't in the spotlight who do a good bit of the harm (mostly appointees who make rules and regulations that we have to abide by even though we can't vote them out).

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Er … I was being facetious, but thanks!

Can Americans win BAFTAS?

I thought you might be joking, but decided that maybe some other people didn't know, so I used your question as an excuse.   :P

I'm pretty sure that non-British people (or at least their work) can win BAFTAs under certain conditions.  For example, they're not eligible for Welsh BAFTAs, but if for example they film a show in Wales, then the show is eligible.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Are you sure?  Seems to me like most of the people who are in the news spotlight are there because they enjoy the attention (mentioning no names....).  And it's often people who aren't in the spotlight who do a good bit of the harm (mostly appointees who make rules and regulations that we have to abide by even though we can't vote them out).

Oh, some of the best reporting is about the people who aren't in the spotlight, imo. But you're right in that you won't see much of that on the nightly news, that's why I've held onto my newspaper subscription. Can't really cover a story in a 30-second news bite, methinks.

Remember when the nightly news was actually an HOUR long? Hard to imagine, these days......

Heck, I remember when the nightly television news was 15 minutes of local and 15 minutes of national/world.  Near as I recall (i.e., not particularly well, since I was quite young), they told us what had happened, but didn't get into what we should think about it.  And they pretty much stuck to the big stories, since the sound bite had not yet been invented.

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... some of the best reporting is about the people who aren't in the spotlight, imo

But if reporters are covering them, then they *are* in the spotlight, by definition, at least briefly.  Just sayin'.  (And not disagreeing.)

What is particularly irksome about the Sherlock BAFTA is that it was awarded for HLV! Thanks a million Messrs Moftiss for making a thinking machine into a panicky one-man execution squad! Not that we haven’t analyzed the cons of this phenomenal mess-up in the related thread, just saying... especially in view of the easy--peasy solution the powers that be came up in TST! Why in Heaven (or Earth) their flipping technicians couldn’t have come up with the appropriate digital manipulation before all the grandstanding at the aeroport?  (Just an excuse for TAB?) 

Still another example of Mr Moffat’s sloppy, lazy, writing!

Mr Freeman is probably right in saying that enough is enough already. 

Actually, HLV won an Emmy, not a BAFTA.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Inge l-w said:

Mr Freeman is probably right in saying that enough is enough already.

I'm not sure he said exactly that.  I have seen him quoted as saying it may be a long time till the next installment, and also that he doesn't like doing the same thing all the time.

• Like 1

I disagree with Martin and hope his comment doesn't follow the logical conclusion.

But thank you Inge, thought I was the only person in the world that thought the summary execution of CAM was appalling and unacceptable...

and Mark and Steven actually cheer and laugh about it on the commentary.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, besleybean said:

I disagree with Martin ....

On which point?

thought I was the only person in the world that thought the summary execution of CAM was appalling and unacceptable

Nope, you have a lot of company here.  There was a lot of discussion on that point right after Series 3 aired.

Mark and Steven actually cheer and laugh about it on the commentary.

You must bear in mind that in their hearts they are still the two small boys who had just discovered Sherlock Holmes.  Neither of them could believe that some anonymous [scorn] female [/scorn] had dispatched Milverton and therefore both (independently, it seems) decided that Watson must have lied about Holmes doing it himself.  So they're celebrating having finally put it right.

19 hours ago, Inge l-w said:

Why in Heaven (or Earth) their flipping technicians couldn’t have come up with the appropriate digital manipulation before all the grandstanding at the aeroport?

Good question!  Though I suspect it was merely another case of filming Series n before deciding what would occur in Series n+1.

• Like 1

Personally, I believe that the Sherlockians should have collected enough signatures from other outraged members of their club and forced Mr Gatiss to resign after HLV. The cudgel before the brain, indeed, as it was so aptly put in the original story by ACD!

2 hours ago, Inge l-w said:

I believe that the Sherlockians should have collected enough signatures from other outraged members of their club and forced Mr Gatiss to resign after HLV.

Do you mean resign from the Sherlock Holmes Society (or whatever it's called)?  Is he even a member?