sfmpco

"BBC Sherlock" articles & other miscellany

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:
21 hours ago, besleybean said:

thought I was the only person in the world that thought the summary execution of CAM was appalling and unacceptable

Nope, you have a lot of company here.  There was a lot of discussion on that point right after Series 3 aired.

And for a long time thereafter. :D I confess to be one of the appalled ones as well. Although I do admit it certainly packed an emotional punch, which is what they were going for. I think I mourned for months.

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, Inge l-w said:

Why in Heaven (or Earth) their flipping technicians couldn’t have come up with the appropriate digital manipulation before all the grandstanding at the aeroport?

Good question!  Though I suspect it was merely another case of filming Series n before deciding what would occur in Series n+1.

Actually, I suspect it was a case of adding to the above mentioned emotional punch more than anything else. Worked on me! Actually, if I remember correctly, that's what drove me to find this forum … HLV made me so emotional, I had to find a support group to help me deal with it. :D 

But there is an in-universe explanation … Sherlock was genuinely being sent away, until the message from Moriarty arrived. Then it was decided it was more important to keep Sherlock around to deal with Mr. M than it was to punish him for his transgression.

Okay, so it's not a great explanation.... :smile: but in this instance at least they did make an attempt .....

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Inge l-w said:

Personally, I believe that the Sherlockians should have collected enough signatures from other outraged members of their club and forced Mr Gatiss to resign after HLV. The cudgel before the brain, indeed, as it was so aptly put in the original story by ACD!

Well, you might start your own. You would be in a great company.

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers
https://thecutteralicia.tumblr.com/post/156327163686/my-letter-to-the-london-switchboard
https://www.change.org/p/make-hartswood-films-bbc-gatiss-and-moffat-answer-for-the-queerbaiting-of-sherlock
https://www.change.org/p/michael-fassbender-for-sebastian-moran-on-bbc-sherlock-request-formichael-fassbender-to-play-sebastian-moran-on-bbc-show-sherlock
https://www.change.org/p/we-need-a-season-5-of-sherlock-holmes

• Haha 2

Well we know we need a Sherlock S 5.

If it will ever happen, who knows?

But at least I am one of the lucky ones who was totally satisfied with S 4.

2 hours ago, besleybean said:

I am one of the lucky ones who was totally satisfied with S 4.

I liked it well enough till somewhere around the middle.

• Like 1

I loved the way they left S 4...love Eurus and want to see more!

• Like 1

TLD is possibly my favorite episode. If just for the brilliant performances, if nothing else. But I love the construction of the plot, too. And the cinematography.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:35 PM, Arcadia said:

I have virtually abandoned Facebook, but I get nervous when I don't have an eye on the news. That's just what THEY want ……..

Yah, I can't stay off news forever. Sometimes I peek and regret it always. Most time I'm happy enough not to look.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:28 AM, Arcadia said:

Actually, if I remember correctly, that's what drove me to find this forum … HLV made me so emotional, I had to find a support group to help me deal with it. :D 

And me, TRF.  (Somehow I thought he was really dead)

I guess the moral of the story, somebody needs to die for us to come here. Nah, it's worth it. XD

On 5/18/2019 at 8:55 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I liked it well enough till somewhere around the middle.

Me too. Although for some reason, I really can't find the mood to rewatch it. I guess T6T is cringey, and TLD is disturbing so I never give it a go. Yet.

3 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I guess the moral of the story, somebody needs to die for us to come here. Nah, it's worth it. XD

Oh god, don't tell Moftiss, they'll kill off everyone!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Yah, I can't stay off news forever. Sometimes I peek and regret it always. Most time I'm happy enough not to look.

Me too, all of the above.

8 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Although for some reason, I really can't find the mood to rewatch it. I guess T6T is cringey, and TLD is disturbing so I never give it a go. Yet.

I haven't rewatched S4 either.  In fact, I don't recall rewatching any episodes from any series since S4 happened.  We did recently buy an Abominable Bride poster, though (the Victorian Holmes & Watson one), and put it up next to our S3 Sherlock-and-John poster.  So I still like the show in general.  Maybe I'm afraid that if I start rewatching S1, I'll somehow end up rewatching S4?

• Haha 2

I think I'd be fine with it, if not for all the WTF in "Final Problem."  Same thing with S3 and "Last Vow," though that wasn't as bad.  I'll probably feel a bit leery of S5, whenever that materializes, for fear that its third episode will be even worse.

• Thanks 1

Lucky you, Bonnie lass!

As for me, I rewatch S1&2 once a month, skip S3 except for parts of TEH and SOT, and watch TST selectively and TLD regularly. After that, TFP is simply not worth paying for the electricity to re-watch. The THIRD one is actually a super-brain, but, hey, she’s female, and intelligent females are all liable to be total nut-jobs if they aren’t freelance assassins! TAB  is another kettle of fish, because of its Granada subtext, but is women’s suffrage worth the death of several abusive husbands? Certainly a WTF issue, not to mention the moronic choice of super-fat Mycroft.

Mr Gatiss actually presented their project to the Sherlock Holmes Society of London before they even wrote the screenplay for the pilot episode, to test the waters. By the end of S4, they should have started a petition to have him resign his membership, IMHO.

That's  a tad unkind.

I don't know the full story of how we got what we did.

But we do know they had to leave the story in a sensible place: in case it was over forever, of if they do decide to go back to it.

I thought it was the most exciting TV I have ever seen, I loved the ride.

Yet the personal touches were my favourite:  Sherlock virtually declaring John as more of a brother to him than Mycroft, then almost immediately regretting it...when he learns what Mycroft has had to carry alone, all those years.

I love Sherlock reaching out to Eurus, healing her through music and restoring her to the family.

Even the Redbeard twist...lovely.

Most of all I love being left with the boys going back out on their adventures...what's not to like?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What’s not to like? Let  me count the ways: 

Scaring your brother out of his wits although you have already deduced the answer.

Surviving intact a fall from the first floor of a building by bouncing off a super-resistant awning over the cafe just below, vaulting so far out that you and your shorter best friend take a flying leap over said flat’s wrought-iron balcony.

Swallowing the whole Musgrave background whole, hook line and sinker. Poor little psychopath Euros just craving Sherlock’s attention as a child.

Being sedated and then miraculously transported back to said Musgrave ruin in time to save your best friend by deciphering the moronic tombstones (Nemo, indeed!) although the outward trip was clearly seen to last as long as at least in the middle of the Irish Sea. 

Being arrogant enough to think that an irredeemable schizoid personality (little girl on the imaginary plane and all-powerful controller of the asylum) can be ‘cured’ by playing music together. 

Having the absolutely overweening arrogance of Mary’s last voiceover simply to restore our two heroes to their factory settings, according to Mr Gatiss.

And that is just the major stuff. If I am forced to re-watch the flipping thing, I am pretty sure I shall find more WTF moments. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, besleybean said:

That's  a tad unkind.

I don't know the full story of how we got what we did.

But we do know they had to leave the story in a sensible place: in case it was over forever, of if they do decide to go back to it.

I thought it was the most exciting TV I have ever seen, I loved the ride.

Yet the personal touches were my favourite:  Sherlock virtually declaring John as more of a brother to him than Mycroft, then almost immediately regretting it...when he learns what Mycroft has had to carry alone, all those years.

I love Sherlock reaching out to Eurus, healing her through music and restoring her to the family.

Even the Redbeard twist...lovely. (Well, not so much for me. :smile: But okay.)

Most of all I love being left with the boys going back out on their adventures...

I would agree with all this, and there were other aspects of TFP that I … appreciated. ("Enjoyed" isn't the right word, it's too dark for that.) TLD worked for me, in part, because in spite of everything it's still laugh-out-loud funny. And audacious. And gorgeous to look at. That window deduction scene … zowie.

However:

15 minutes ago, besleybean said:

...what's not to like?

As far as TFP goes … story-wise, I'm okay with it. I thought Eurus' appearance (all that dark hair!) inexplicable, and the gifs of Moriarty downright embarrassing (to both the character and the actor) but those are minor things. It's more the technical aspects that bothered me; after the cinematic exquisiteness of TLD, I still can't understand why TFP is so visually … boring. All shades of blue, blank sets, static camera angles, and hardly a Belstaff to be seen. (The most visually interesting scenes were 1) Sherlock leaping onto the boat, and 2) Sherlock racing through the graveyard. What's the common denominator? :D ) For a show that made it's name partly on its visual imagination, those were strange choices.

• Like 1

Yeah, but Sherlock wanted to hear it from Mycroft's own mouth...we were still at the sibling rivalry stage, here.

Oh yes it was a bit far fetched and OTT.  Deliberate, it's TV and it's entertaining...I prefer that to gratuitous violence.

I think Eurus was mentally ill, Sherlock was just a feature of that.

Oh well, I still love the show.

• Like 1

Please not to forget the gratuitous insult to all true Sherlockians of the abominable Three Garridebs moment. It is probably true that Plaidadder is right when she says in one of her Ao3 essays that the universe must hate the Three Garridebs story. In the Granada version, Jeremy Brett was too ill to film this, so it was incorporated into the Mazarin Stone episode, with Mycroft (Charles Gray) filling in at the last moment. But in TFP, it was a deliberate nose-thumping , a poke to the eye, to all the Johnlock part of the fandom. Simply not cricket, Mr Gatiss, if you consider yourself a gentleman, which has been called in doubt in other forums. 

• Sad 1

If I want Canon, I read Canon....
Mark and Steven can do what thy like with their show.

I never fell for Johnlock.

A beautiful, loving  male friendship works for me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, besleybean said:

Yeah, but Sherlock wanted to hear it from Mycroft's own mouth...we were still at the sibling rivalry stage, here.

Oh yes it was a bit far fetched and OTT.  Deliberate, it's TV and it's entertaining...I prefer that to gratuitous violence.

I think Eurus was mentally ill, Sherlock was just a feature of that.

Oh well, I still love the show.

Again, I basically agree with all this. The show always was a bit OTT, just in different ways at different times. That's part of the fun. And Eurus was definitely mentally ill, that alone was tragedy enough for the Holmes family. That she was murderously so just made it even harder to bear.

9 minutes ago, Inge l-w said:

What’s not to like? Let  me count the ways: 

Scaring your brother out of his wits although you have already deduced the answer.

Surviving intact a fall from the first floor of a building by bouncing off a super-resistant awning over the cafe just below, vaulting so far out that you and your shorter best friend take a flying leap over said flat’s wrought-iron balcony.

Swallowing the whole Musgrave background whole, hook line and sinker. Poor little psychopath Euros just craving Sherlock’s attention as a child.

Being sedated and then miraculously transported back to said Musgrave ruin in time to save your best friend by deciphering the moronic tombstones (Nemo, indeed!) although the outward trip was clearly seen to last as long as at least in the middle of the Irish Sea. 

Being arrogant enough to think that an irredeemable schizoid personality (little girl on the imaginary plane and all-powerful controller of the asylum) can be ‘cured’ by playing music together. 

Having the absolutely overweening arrogance of Mary’s last voiceover simply to restore our two heroes to their factory settings, according to Mr Gatiss.

And that is just the major stuff. If I am forced to re-watch the flipping thing, I am pretty sure I shall find more WTF moments.  

Well, I can refute each one of those arguments line by line. Shall I? :D 

I think more to the point, you had something in mind you wanted to see, and you've made it clear from the start that you would accept nothing less than that. And that's fine; you've always been up front about what you WANTED to see. You weren't alone in being disappointed when your particular vision didn't come about. I was disappointed that the cinematic quality didn't live up to their previous standards, for example.

I think it's for each of us to decide what, and how much, disappointment we're willing to accept, though. And I confess that it's just makes more sense to me to keep my expectations tamped down, and go with the flow, enjoying the bits I can enjoy, than to condemn (or avoid) an entire project just because the creators didn't have the same vision I have. I sincerely doubt I will ever regret a moment I spent in the company of The Moftisses singular creation, even if I don't fully embrace the way it turned out. It was (still is?) one of those gems that rarely comes along. But even a diamond can have some flaws and still be precious. In other words … ease up a little, kid!

• Like 2

They can certainly do what they like with their show. If and when there an S5, we can take a head -count and see how many remain as loyal fans after TFP.

By which, I mean that at the moment, out of the 120,000 -odd fanfics in Ao3 nearly 59,000 are Johnlock. Frustrated fans taking up their keyboards to make up for the indescribable mess that was TFP? 

Personally, being old-fashioned in my Sherlock preferences, married to his work is my cup of tea, but tell that to almost half the fandom and see what you get!

I don't really do numbers, just watch what I like...

I gather they lost a few million on TFP...but they had a few million to spare!

Oh, thanks for the intel besleybean. 

‘Since you watch what you like, give the Granada version of The Dancing Men , The Norwood Builder, The Blue Carbuncle, The Red-Headed League, The Abbey Grange and The Second Stain a look-see. As Baryshnikov once said of Fred Astaire, “I dance, he’s doing something else.” Jeremy  Brett wrought magic at his best.