Rupert Graves News

Arcadia

which episode of Doctor Who?  (Need to finish catching up on that series)

"Dinosaurs on a Spaceship"

I haven't seen it either, but it's a Matt Smith episode, which bodes well (in my opinion).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Rupert Graves has been cast in a lead role for an American (ABC) television drama.  That announcement describes his character as "handsome, warm and charismatic."

• Like 1

Yay! And I notice it's directed by Paul McGuigan. Wonder if we'll ever get to see it, already it sounds almost too good for American TV. :p

• Like 1

Well, if it does become a series, we'll apparently have first crack at it, since it's an ABC project.  Even if it doesn't become a series, they might run the pilot as a movie-of-the-week or something, if it would work as a standalone story.

• Like 1

Ever the optimist, eh? :smile: I hope so, I'd love to see it.

They should have a TV network where all they show is pilots. Imagine some of the overlooked gems ... although of course 99% would be dross....

• Like 1

Nope, only 90% (Sturgeon's Law!).  ;)

By the way, I came across the link to that article in a tweet by a "Graves Digger" -- first time I'd heard any expression for RG's fans.   Cute!

Eh, what does he (Sturgeon) know. :p

I'm off to join the Graves Diggers.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And those just happen to be some of my favorite moments in the series. Hmmm, I wonder what the common thread is...

And those just happen to be some of my favorite moments in the series. Hmmm, I wonder what the common thread is...

Lestrade?  ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Haven't watched it yet.  First episode aired on Thursday here in the the US apparently and the next episode is Sunday at 8 pm (I'm assuming Eastern Standard).  I might give it a watch.  I generally avoid the network stations here in the US unless I'm watching sports or the local news.

Have any of you seen 'The Family'? What did you think?

I watched it. I almost missed it; I was flipping channels and suddenly there was Lestrade Rupert Graves! And did you notice it was directed by Paul McGuigan?

As to what I thought of it ... it had its moments. Potential for a good story arc. Beautifully filmed (of course.) But my biggest problem was, I didn't like or identify with most of the characters. Graves' character was likeable, and I sort of liked the cop ... but I couldn't stand the wife, I didn't like any of the kids, and I have a hard time watching shows when I don't like the protagonist/s. So the jury's still out, for me. I think it will depend on the storyline.

By the way, it leaped back and forth in time, like a recent special I could mention ... I wonder if people will say it was "too complicated"? I had no trouble following the time shifts. But Rupert with an American accent ... that was confusing! :smile:

• Like 1

I really miss Rupert's lovely British accent.

I had no problem following the story either, but I'm not  sold on it yet. I'll watch again Sunday and I'll probably keep watching for a few episodes at least and see if I stay interested.

The only other character that intrigued me was the wrongly imprisoned man (can't remember his name) played by Andrew McCarthy.

So for right now, Rupert Graves and Andrew McCarthy are the only two reasons to watch, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

OMG, that was Andrew McCarthy? I kind of kept looking for him but never recognized him. But then it's been a really long time since I've seen him.

Yes, I'll give it some more time too, but ... we'll see.

Interesting storyline and Rupert's British accent shows up a tiny bit in the pilot.  There is a few tiny bits that make it a show that is not my thing.  I might check more of it later just to see Rupert's parts.

... my biggest problem was, I didn't like or identify with most of the characters. Graves' character was likeable, and I sort of liked the cop ... but I couldn't stand the wife, I didn't like any of the kids, and I have a hard time watching shows when I don't like the protagonist/s.

I have that problem too (if it is indeed a problem).  I don't necessarily have to like the characters, but I do need to find them relatable.  No matter how many times I tried (after hearing friends rave about the show) I simply could not watch Seinfeld (except for his monolog).  I felt absolutely no rapport with any of the regulars (though I did at least find Kramer tolerable).

But I may try to catch this show just to hear Rupert Graves speaking American!

• Like 1