Which male characters turn you on the most?

Carol the Dabbler

Which recurring male characters turn you on ....  

37 members have voted

1. 1. ... the very most? (Please read initial post before voting.)

• Charles Augustus Magnussen
    • Greg Lestrade
    • Jim Moriarty
    • John Watson
    • Mycroft Holmes
    • (Philip?) Anderson
    • Sherlock Holmes
    • Sherlock's father
    • Added: Tom (Molly's temporary fiance)
    • Added: Mike Stamford
  2. 2. ... second most?

• Greg Lestrade
    • Jim Moriarty
    • John Watson
    • Mycroft Holmes
    • (Philip?) Anderson
    • Sherlock Holmes
    • Sherlock's father
  3. 3. ... and third most?

• Greg Lestrade
    • Jim Moriarty
    • John Watson
    • Mycroft Holmes
    • (Philip?) Anderson
    • Sherlock Holmes
    • Sherlock's father

Note that the question is not which male characters are the best looking or the sexiest or any other supposedly unbiased description.  I'm looking for biased!  Who makes your knees wobble (in a good way!) or makes you pretend to cough (to disguise a whimper)?  Who would you be most tempted to flirt right back at?  Who would you find it hardest to resist a come-on from?  You can select a first, second, and third choice.

Persons of all genders and sexual orientations are invited to participate, and if guys aren't exactly your thing, you're allowed to use your imagination.  No one will be able to see how you voted, so if you want us to know, feel free to post your choices.

And if I've absent-mindedly omitted any recurring male characters (i.e., ones who appeared in at least two episodes), please let me know.

Is it only limited to 'crush' or also includes a need to test them out first? We females are evolutionary-driven to pick the best for the continuation of our line ;) 

• Like 1

Voted. Only one of them really can make me turn head more than once and it is for assessing and testing him, is he worth the effort or not (in my book, brainy is always sexy and this one would need a significant investment of time and efforts to snare).  :lol:

Hey, that's great -- if Mary ever dumps him and you've still got him in third place, maybe I can snag him for a bit of fictitious romance!

Well, even my imagination is a bit hesitant to consider him fair game while he's a family man.  But back before Series 3 ....

If you're asking in general why someone might find John attractive -- well, that's a matter of personal chemistry, of course, just as it is when we feel attracted to a person in real life.  But I consider John to be physically attractive, highly competent, kind, gentle, humorous, honorable, brave -- and yet willing to be vulnerable.  He's all man, but not macho.  What more could I want?

• Like 2

I concur 100% about John, but for some reason Sherlock's the one who raises my blood pressure the most...... even though in real life I mostly want to slap guys like that. Huh. Something to do with the way that coat swirls....

• Like 1

My votes were actually John, Greg, and Sherlock.  There's something about that bratty behavior that puts me off -- even though I do find Sherlock sufficiently intriguing to merit my #3 vote.

Mycroft Holmes (intriguing, darn hard to catch and the only one from the whole lot who might actually understand me)

Greg Lestrade (for date, yes. But in long term relationship, this man of law is likely would be bothered by the way my mind works)

Jim Moriarty (cute in a naughty way and make me want to poke, prod, tease and  :patpatpat:)

Sherlock.... just like Carol said.

My votes were actually John, Greg, and Sherlock.  There's something about that bratty behavior that puts me off -- even though I do find Sherlock sufficiently intriguing to merit my #3 vote.

Sherlock, Lestrade, John (sorry, Carol! :P )

Mine are in the same order. I'll explain Sherlock below.  Lestrade: I like his looks and his demeanor for the most part especially after the stag night fiasco.  John: Personality over looks except in his wedding tux.  (I love a guy in a tux with tails :inlove:)

I concur 100% about John, but for some reason Sherlock's the one who raises my blood pressure the most...... even though in real life I mostly want to slap guys like that. Huh. Something to do with the way that coat swirls....

Definitely Sherlock on the blood pressure.  I like his looks, sense of humor, intellect...then there's that coat, those eyes, & of course the wink and smile...total melt :wub:

The only think is the drinking...if this were real life then we would need a change there only because I'm allergic to alcohol otherwise I wouldn't really care as long as they didn't get drunk (sorry no stag night incidents allowed ;)).

The other thing I forgot to mention.  If I were about 40 years older then maybe Daddy Holmes would be more of my interest.  I like how Timothy Carlton plays him and the character's overall personality, but Timothy is a year younger than my own dad so that is just too weird for me.

• Like 2

Hmm, does "use you imagination" also include "imagine you were 40 years older"/"the character were 40 years younger"? Because I think I could quite like Sherlock's father, only that he is a bit out of my age class ;)

• Like 1

Yes Schlauer that could work. For me, as much as my imagination is in fine shape, it just wouldn't work.

Sherlock

Lestrade

Mycroft

Yeah, I know.  I can't quite figure out the Mycroft thing either, and it's my own head coming up with that vote!  I kind of have this fantasy about dancing with Mycroft, and I have zero idea where that comes from, except he just seems like the kind of guy who would do a killer foxtrot, and killer foxtrots make me a little weak in the knees (after the dance, of course).

I guess they all seem like they are unique, intelligent men who would keep me challenged.  

• Like 1

Sherlock, of course. And then nothing. Just Sherlock.

All that salacious fan fiction about the character doesn't surprise me one bit, but I can honestly say I've never thought about him that way, voluntarily or involuntarily. He beautiful to look at (and yes, I do mean beautiful), his voice is... unholy sometimes and the whole costume - hair, lighting, clothes - is perfect. He's got a very mesmerizing quality. And he's so F***ing brilliant. I can't help myself with brilliant people, they have to be very, very, very ugly and awkward and nasty indeed for me not to get a slight flutter about them. But still, I can't quite associate him with sex. The utmost I am capable of fantasizing about is being a client and have those razor eyes take me apart in ten seconds flat before the verdict is either "boring" or "I'll take the case".

I do hope nobody seriously votes for Magnussen here! Come on, Magnussen? UGGGHHHH! He'd be the top of my turn-off list (and I am afraid poor Mycroft would come in second there - even though he is even more clever than Sherlock, come to think of it, and not very ugly. But still. Exceptions prove the rule).

• Like 2

Yes, I wondered if someone would vote for Magnussen and I really believe that noone will. Maybe there are people, who are turned on by all his... nastiness but for me (and us, I guess) it's the absolute opposite.
Also, poor Anderson. Seems like he won't get a vote either...

By the way, I voted Sherlock, Jim and Lestrade. The first two were clear to me rightaway but I was thinking about the third one for a while... Process of elimination. :D

• Like 2

The Consulting Detective and the Silver Fox were competing for the top. Ladies and Gentlemen, cast your vote NOW! party-skype-smiley.gif

(the winner get to release a dalek on Magnussen; exterminate, exterminate!)

• Like 3

Ok, my vote:

1. Sherlock's father

2. John

3. Sherlock

Sherlock's father seems to be just my kind of man - he seems to be very pleasant, certainly isn't stupid, has some humour, is considerate about other people('s feelings), doesn't babble but isn't a Mycroft, either, and he likes musicals which suggests a good taste in music if you ask me.

John shares many of Sherlock's father's qualities, like having a sense of humour, being considerate of other people and reliable. However, I doubt he and I would really have a chance together, because he seems so much of a "lady's man" that he asks women out rather soon after they got to know each other (non-Anthea, Sarah), which would put me off, I'm afraid. But I like nice guys and John is one :)

Third would be Sherlock. He is fascinating, witty, lovable in his very own way and his voice definitely could make me shiver and turn my knees into pudding ;). Only that in a real world perspective I would need to get used to him and his eccentricities in order to allow him to "turn me on" in any way (yeah, I'm very rational and controlled when it comes to men and their effect on me :unsure:).

• Like 1

Well, apparently my husband is aware of my love for Mark Gatiss.  lol.  A friend was over for dinner and we were discussing Twitter;  neither my friend or H use Twitter.  It went down like this:

Me:  I use Twitter just to follow certain people.  I don't actually post anything myself.

H:  Like Benedict Cumberbatch?

Me:  No, he doesn't have a Twitter account.

H:  I bet you follow Mark Gatiss. 

lol

• Like 2

Sherlock, of course. And then nothing. Just Sherlock.

... But still, I can't quite associate him with sex. The utmost I am capable of fantasizing about is being a client and have those razor eyes take me apart in ten seconds flat before the verdict is either "boring" or "I'll take the case".

You can write that sentence, and NOT associate him with sex?! I voted for him third, but I'm off to take a cold shower now!

I do hope nobody seriously votes for Magnussen here! Come on, Magnussen? UGGGHHHH! He'd be the top of my turn-off list (and I am afraid poor Mycroft would come in second there - even though he is even more clever than Sherlock, come to think of it, and not very ugly. But still. Exceptions prove the rule).

I had to narrow down the male characters somehow, and it seemed reasonable to include only those who'd been in at least two episodes. Which unfortunately includes Magnussen. I seriously doubt that anyone will vote for him -- but you never know.

As for that old saying, "The exception proves the rule," my favorite English professor explained that it originally meant "The exception tests the rule" (with "prove" being used as in the term "proving grounds").

• Like 1