Which male characters turn you on the most?

Carol the Dabbler

Which recurring male characters turn you on ....  

36 members have voted

1. 1. ... the very most? (Please read initial post before voting.)

• Charles Augustus Magnussen
    • Greg Lestrade
    • Jim Moriarty
    • John Watson
    • Mycroft Holmes
    • (Philip?) Anderson
    • Sherlock Holmes
    • Sherlock's father
    • Added: Tom (Molly's temporary fiance)
    • Added: Mike Stamford
  2. 2. ... second most?

• Greg Lestrade
    • Jim Moriarty
    • John Watson
    • Mycroft Holmes
    • (Philip?) Anderson
    • Sherlock Holmes
    • Sherlock's father
  3. 3. ... and third most?

• Greg Lestrade
    • Jim Moriarty
    • John Watson
    • Mycroft Holmes
    • (Philip?) Anderson
    • Sherlock Holmes
    • Sherlock's father

... episode 4.02 ends on the friday evening, and 4.03 begins on the very next saturday night with a lonely Mycroft home.

It does? I missed that! What makes you think so, Janyss? I'm not saying that's not right, I'm just wondering how you know.

Well, that's my assumption, and I considered several points: first, in 4.02, Mycroft and Alicia leave the office for the week-end (as Alicia refers to it and specifies she'll be home). In the same moments, John is with Euros (at this point, I assume John telling about Mycroft and Alicia-Mycroft scene HAPPEN in the same moments). Then in 4.03 the bombing with the drone takes place on a Sunday morning (as Sherlock states, referring to Speedy's café being closed). Owing to what John said when he left Mycroft's house, this bombing happens the very next day after the "film noir" and "pantomime" evening, which thus takes place on saturday.  I can't imagine Sherlock wasting one more week on the trail of the truth about his sister, and friday evening plus saturday must be enough for him to meet John, be informed of the existence of another Holmes and planning the terrific setting to get the truth from "bro" himself (as John certainly told about Mycroft's lapsus in 4.02).

All this (hope I was clear, never forget English is not my native language) makes me think that the beginning of 4.03 in Mycroft's home happens just after the end of 4.02, and that Mr Iceman didn't call Alicia, or may beplanned to call her another moment.

Oh God can you just imagine if he had called her and invited her home, and if Sherlock had kept determined in making his plan happen :) !... 

And yes, Hikari, "chaud" ("hot") sometimes means "sexy", "appealing", in French :).     

• Like 3

Thank you, Janyss! Those are the kind of things I don't notice, but I think your conclusions must be correct. Sherlock would be proud of you. :smile:

• Like 1

My answer to the original question in this thread is......none

• Like 2

I think Mycroft would want us to believe he chooses them based on ability, not on looks. ;)

MF would be another entertaining pub date.  Probably of all the cast of BBC Sherlock he is the one most likely to make beer come out my nose from laughing.

... especially considering his tendency to carry on an ordinary-sounding conversation, then suddenly blindside you with a perfectly logical yet completely unexpected (and often wacky) conclusion.

You have perhaps noticed that the great majority of posters on SherlockForum are women.  That's because no doubt the vast majority of viewers of BBC Sherlock are female.  There's a reason for that.  This show is stuffed with very attractive men, while the longest-running, most significant female character is Sherlock's grandmotherly landlady, Mrs. Hudson played by Una Stubbs.

That sounds very logical and all -- but I suspect there are some other reasons also at work here:

1.  Television fandoms tend to be heavily populated by women, and

2.  Forums (other than those focusing on warfare, sports, tools, etc.) tend to be heavily populated by women, and ....

3.  Before there were forums, the fandoms were held together by amateur magazines ("fanzines") written and published by -- you guessed it -- women.

Of course, most of those other shows also had male-dominated casts.  And of course most of the men were attractive.  So maybe we're both talking about the same phenomenon, only from different angles.  But I don't think the viewership was all that one-sidedly female.  I know a lot of men who watch Star Trek, for example -- but most of them have never been involved in organized fandom.

Funny thing -- if we found a counter-example, a show with a cast dominated by attractive women, you might expect the viewership, fandom, and forum membership to be largely male.  But while I'm pretty sure that'd be true of the viewership (think Baywatch), I wonder whether the active fandom and/or forums (if any) would still be largely female.  I dunno.

... if "Iceman" is completely immune to feminine charms, why does he surround himself with only gorgeous women as PAs?

So he won't be distracted by gorgeous men?

• Like 1

MF would be another entertaining pub date.  Probably of all the cast of BBC Sherlock he is the one most likely to make beer come out my nose from laughing.

... especially considering his tendency to carry on an ordinary-sounding conversation, then suddenly blindside you with a perfectly logical yet completely unexpected (and often wacky) conclusion.

You have perhaps noticed that the great majority of posters on SherlockForum are women.  That's because no doubt the vast majority of viewers of BBC Sherlock are female.  There's a reason for that.  This show is stuffed with very attractive men, while the longest-running, most significant female character is Sherlock's grandmotherly landlady, Mrs. Hudson played by Una Stubbs.

That sounds very logical and all -- but I suspect there are some other reasons also at work here:

1.  Television fandoms tend to be heavily populated by women, and

2.  Forums (other than those focusing on warfare, sports, tools, etc.) tend to be heavily populated by women, and ....

3.  Before there were forums, the fandoms were held together by amateur magazines ("fanzines") written and published by -- you guessed it -- women.

Of course, most of those other shows also had male-dominated casts.  And of course most of the men were attractive.  So maybe we're both talking about the same phenomenon, only from different angles.  But I don't think the viewership was all that one-sidedly female.  I know a lot of men who watch Star Trek, for example -- but most of them have never been involved in organized fandom.

Funny thing -- if we found a counter-example, a show with a cast dominated by attractive women, you might expect the viewership, fandom, and forum membership to be largely male.  But while I'm pretty sure that'd be true of the viewership (think Baywatch), I wonder whether the active fandom and/or forums (if any) would still be largely female.  I dunno.

... if "Iceman" is completely immune to feminine charms, why does he surround himself with only gorgeous women as PAs?

So he won't be distracted by gorgeous men?

Well, you've  hit the nail on the head, particularly in the last line.    A gorgeous woman may expect to be comfortably free of sexual harassment if her boss bats for the other team.  Actually, Big M. bats for no team.  He is his own team.  But if Lady Smallwood has anything to say about it, his life of comfortably monastic celibacy will not continue as is.

Mycroft wouldn't tend to recognize anyone other than himself as capable of having 'ability', at least to his standards, though Not-Anthea has imbibed the Official Secrets Act culture she works in a treat.  John is never ever going to winkle her name out of her.  So these women are goldfish, but highly decorative goldfish.  Mycroft may be gay or asexual or non-binary, what have you . . but he does have an eye for aesthetics.  If he didn't, he could just as soon have hired plainer-looking assistants with the exact same qualifications.

Have we seen Mycroft have any staff other than not-Anthea?  (I'm not offhand thinking of any.)  Maybe she just happened to be the most qualified candidate.

Have we seen Mycroft have any staff other than not-Anthea? (I'm not offhand thinking of any.) Maybe she just happened to be the most qualified candidate.

I like that idea. Yes, please, let's assume for once that the pretty woman is also capable.

• Like 2

Have we seen Mycroft have any staff other than not-Anthea? (I'm not offhand thinking of any.) Maybe she just happened to be the most qualified candidate.

I like that idea. Yes, please, let's assume for once that the pretty woman is also capable.

There is another woman who takes John to see Adler? . . I think it's ASiB . . John sees an attractive brunette waiting for him outside of Baker Street and goes . ." .. Hello . .!" like he recognizes her.  But this is not the same actress as not-Anthea.  I never knew if we the viewers were supposed to pretend she was the same person, since Watson acted like he knew her.  But maybe he didn't actually recognize *her*--he recognized her as the posh, impeccably dressed type of beautiful minion whom Mycroft would send to be waiting expressly for him, John Watson, on the pavement outside the flat.  She addressed him by name before he said Hello.  So I have always figured that  a man as busy and as indispensable as Mycroft would have a bevy of beautiful assistants at his beck and call.  We see not-Anthea again at the top of TEH, and she is entrusted with the Coat, so she is the Head Girl among Mycroft assistants, but he must have others. 

I thought the girl in A Scandal in Belgravia was working for Irene?

Possibly . . it doesn't really make sense that it would be one of Mycroft's girls, under the circumstances--though I'm sure that Big M knew all along that Irene was Not Dead and may have even been in on that ploy.  Moriarty was the Big Fish and M would have been keeping an eye on the Woman as his cohort.

The girl who met John on the pavement was not the assistant of Irene's at her house, either.  She is a Mystery Woman all around.

She was working for Irene, at least it looks like this, she called someone saying "he thinks it's Mycroft" and the only receiver could be Irene. But it's done in a way that both we and John think it actually is Mycroft. Which also shows that John can hardly can keep women apart, especially if he finds them attractive :P

She was working for Irene, at least it looks like this, she called someone saying "he thinks it's Mycroft" and the only receiver could be Irene. But it's done in a way that both we and John think it actually is Mycroft. Which also shows that John can hardly can keep women apart, especially if he finds them attractive :P

This was pre-Mary, so  Three Continents was  always hoping to get lucky in those days.

• 3 years later...

First choice : Sherlock. It's obvious!!!  I'm absolutely fascinated... He's the ultimate fantasy, I think everything about him is infinitely hot, and I don't know how to explain it. Maybe it's because of his gestures, his body language, something like that. I'm in love with his voice, his mesmerising gaze, anyway I've never seen eyes like that. ( maybe because the black curls highlights their color??) . Benedict is a beautiful man but I think his character, Sherlock, is even more. ( anyway I distinguish between the actor and the character). 

I also love Sherlock's mysterious personality and his intelligence, it's really attractive. It's quite worrying, I love people a little weird and complicated to understand 🤨

Second choice : Moriarty. A sexy and intelligent villain, I can't deny that. 

Third choice :  Lestrade. I think he's a good man you can rely upon. 

but in fact I can vote three times for Sherlock 😂 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sherlock,  far and away,  #1. The bratty behavior is just a side effect of his brilliance and intensity. He's got the verve, intelligence and disregard for human societal norms that I dig... and in a beautiful package. 

Then John, who I find intriguing because he's an interesting mix of protector, fighter, and seems loyal as hell, but also with some emotional baggage and scarring. (yeah, the marriage would be a deal-breaker though)

...and finally Lestrade, who I find aesthetically pleasing, but not so sure about the personality component there. Seems a little drab imho...

On 9/4/2021 at 7:04 PM, Jen said:

but in fact I can vote three times for Sherlock 😂 

Yes!!!!  ❤️❤️❤️

Just noticed that I've omitted Mike Stamford!!!  He was in two episodes (Study in Pink and Abominable Bride), so he qualifies.

Shame on me -- I'll go back and plug him in.  As mentioned in the female poll:

If you've already voted for someone else but would have voted for [Mike] (or if you've changed your mind for any reason), just click the Delete My Vote button at the bottom of the poll area and vote all over again.

Does anyone see a "Delete My Vote" button, though?  (If you do, please tell us where it is.) I'll add Mike in any case.  Frankly, I think he'd have my third-place vote -- must be the twinkle in his eyes.