Holiday-Special News ("Abominable Bride")

sittything

Okay, actually both interpretations make sense. If the illustrator was poor he had to draw the mustache, so people could recognize Dr. Watson on his illustrations. If he was good and just decided to give Watson a 'stache on a whim, poor doctor had to grow it, so people would recognize him in RL. :D

So now we have multiple interpretations of something that we haven't even seen yet.

A true genius of Mofftiss' writing. :lol4:

• Like 4

Yeah, me too. When I first heard the special was going to be Victorian I was worried, but that teaser went a long way to reassuring me it was still "our" Sherlock. I'll still miss the "Byronesque" curls though.... :cry:

• Like 1

Oh really? Try using his face in any of the recent photographs out there, from Cumberbuddy downwards, add the series' curls to them, like you would for any virtual fashion application and see how far you would get without him looking as weird as that model in Zoolander! They simply have to find a middle ground for S4: longer, wavier hair, what have you, but NO MORE curls, unless you want to ridicule an iconic character and the main subject of such collective obsession even inadvertently!

I think you're right as regards the Special, Inge -- late Victorian men were pretty much into "the wet look," weren't they?  Even if they had curly hair, they'd slick it down with Macassar oil.

As for S4, that remains to be seen -- in fact, it remains to be filmed!

• Like 2

Sherlockology's Worldwide Cinema Listings page now shows eleven countries:

Australia - Booking now open, Screenings January 2 2016. 
Canada - Booking now open, Screenings January 4+6 2016.
Hong Kong - Screenings January 2 2016.
Japan - Screenings February 19 2016.
Korea - Screenings January 2 2016.
New Zealand - Booking now open, Screenings January 2 2016.
Russia - Screenings January 4+5 2016.
Taiwan - Screenings January 8 2016.
United Kingdom and Ireland - Booking now open, Screenings January 1 2016. 
United States - Booking November 6 2015, Screenings January 5+6 2016.

... not even counting Denmark and Finland:

Good news for Danish and Finnish Sherlock fans - The Special is coming to selected theaters in our countries (announced through Facebook).

It seems that things are finally starting to happen!

• Like 1

Sherlockology reports the contents of the forthcoming DVDs and Blu-rays:

sab-dvd1.jpg

The final release date, cover art and extra features have been revealed for the two-disc Special Edition release of Sherlock: The Abominable Bride.

Out in the UK on January 11 2016 on DVD, Blu Ray and an exclusive Blu Ray Steelbook available only at HMV, the release includes over 60 minutes of extra features:

- 'Mark Gatiss: A Study in Sherlock'

- 'Mark Gatiss: Production Diary'

- 'Creating the Look - 8 inside looks at how this unique Special was created'

- 'Writers' Interview'

- 'The creators of Sherlock answer questions from Sherlock's #1 fan site'

As an aside about that last extra - yes, those are questions you all submitted to Sherlockology a few months ago! We're intrigued to see what questions were picked out for the production team to answer…

The Abominable Bride will also be available for digital download in the UK on January 2 2016.

Don't forget that the episode will be screening in select cinemas around the world from January 1 2016.

A rating at the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has revealed the cinema release will run for 115 minutes, including cinema exclusive extra features. It is currently unclear if these cinema extras will be included on the home video release. The episode itself runs for the standard 89 minutes.

In addition, the BBFC has rated The Abominable Bride certificate 15 for 'strong violence, drug references, suicide'. This is the highest rating an episode of Sherlock has ever received from the UK ratings board, which is an interesting sign that this new episode of Sherlock will be taking us to some very new places, and not just the Victorian era...!

Presumably the discs sold in other regions will also have the same content.

• Like 1

And now the Special has its own BBC approved app for iPhone ( yes, OK, there's an android version, too, :moriarty: ), which I downloaded as soon as it appeared in appsfire! Nice screen savers and lock screen shots, I must say, although they unlock progressively, like the countdown we're involved in. And it offers Sherlockology as an extra, has all trailers, teasers, and a Sherlock gallery of unparalleled perfection. :wub:

• Like 2

Yeah, me too. When I first heard the special was going to be Victorian I was worried, but that teaser went a long way to reassuring me it was still "our" Sherlock. I'll still miss the "Byronesque" curls though.... :cry:

I agree on the curls.  To me it looks like Benedict playing a Victorian Sherlock versus Sherlock in Victorian everything.  When I see Benedict in the modern Sherlock curls (& costume), my initial response is 'There's Sherlock' not 'Benedict as Sherlock.'  With the special, my initial response is 'There's Benedict playing Sherlock.'

• Like 1

Same same, but maybe we'll feel different once we see whole segments and not little snippets. Hope so.

I watched "Into Darkness" again recently and not once did I think of Sherlock or even Benedict Cumberbatch. It was just Khan. In some ways I think that was an even better performance than Turing; he was completely transformed, right down to the voice. Turing did remind me of Sherlock at times.

• Like 1

Dear Arcadia, it's what makes BC a great actor, although still not in my ten all-time favourites' list: both this Sherlock and Turing are social misfits, he played them accordingly; Khan is a genetically enhanced leader, he played him as such. And Smaug was a dragon, despite the undertones of a voice to die for! Therein lies our main rift: I would rather listen to him than care about his latest look or, indeed, hair length and look.

• Like 1

A thought just occured to me. I apologise if I'm slow on the uptake, or someone has already remarked on this but Mary was the Abominable Bride. Sure, she may not have shot Sherlock or shown her true colours on her wedding day, but it was pretty soon after...

Also, I don't care what setting Mr 'Batch is in, those curls... :wub: Especially the black ones, but he looks adorable with his natural auburn ones too.

Dang, I promised myself I'd stop thinking loving thoughts towards him after he got married.... thats like one-sided cheating! :lol2:

• Like 1

I think you're still a bride after one month or marriage, no? :d

Dang, I promised myself I'd stop thinking loving thoughts towards him after he got married.... thats like one-sided cheating! :lol2:

Give up. Resistance is futile. The man is naturally adorable.

• Like 2