Amanda Abbington press

sfmpco

Agreed Jenny.  Total insanity and not of the variety we label ourselves on here.  A true fan of Benedict Cumberbatch wouldn't do that to anyone he's co-starred with.

• Like 2

When I saw the link to Daily Mail, my first thought was, "Oh, they're re-running that old story."  But no, it's a new incident, and a particularly nasty one (as virtual threats go).  Here's the link to Ms. Abbington's Tweet.

You can't build someone up by tearing down someone else.  And death threats are just sick.

Added:  That Tweet's no longer there.

• Like 1

I'm sure when they catch the perp, the perp will just say, "Oh, I was just joking."  Hopefully the authorities will NOT be joking when they hand down a punishment for it.

• Like 1

Agreed Jenny.  Total insanity and not of the variety we label ourselves on here.  A true fan of Benedict Cumberbatch wouldn't do that to anyone he's co-starred with.

Not to anyone at all.

The inability to know the difference between fiction and real life is maddening.

(And Mary and John don't even deserve it in fiction!)

Actually, this person seems to be blaming MF and AA for "ruining" BC's acting career, rather than confusing them with John and Mary.  That's still really weird, of course -- makes me wonder how much better they think his career could have been?

We can only hope that they're joking, or even semi-serious -- because if they're truly serious, they're literally delusional, and you can't reason with a delusion.  Unfortunately, this doesn't sound like a joke to me.

Ms. Abbington seems to have removed that Tweet from her account.  Probably just as well, in case the attention was encouraging them.

There is a whole thread at IMDB dealing with this. Some people suggest that this incident might be another fallout from the Tim Roberts (the guy who lost his job) story, because he and AA apparently know each other, based on their tweet exchange. I can see the theories made, people taking sides... all those games people play.

Thank you internet for reminding me why I am alone - I never understood those games and never was willing to play them. :/

• Like 1

To paraphrase Sherlock, you don't have to be alone.  You just need to find others who share your worldview.  (I know, not necessarily easy!)

I've been reading the IMDb thread, and there are some interesting conjectures there, such as the one you mentioned -- apparently AA Tweeted her sympathy with that guy for losing his job, but pretty clearly that was before he made all those defamatory remarks, because AA is nothing if not a feminist.  That could have something to do with it, I suppose, but the whole thing is still irrational.

I'm bemused by this IMDb post:

I've never been involved with a fandom before that has so many factions, all calling each other names! There's the haters the truthers, the troonies, the skeptics, the anti skeptics, the johnlockers, the nannies, the uber nannies, etc. And each group thinks the other groups are insane and horrible.

I assume I understand "haters" and of course "johnlockers" -- but what the heck are all the others?  :huh:

If I only knew... do I really want to know? Is it something I need to know? Probably haters in this special context are something different than you think. :D

Oh, I shouldn't have use the word alone. It sounds a bit negative. Solo is the word. I'm not complaining.

On 9/7/2015 at 3:21 PM, J.P. said:

... do I really want to know?

Probably not!  :P

On 9/7/2015 at 3:21 PM, J.P. said:

Oh, I shouldn't have use the word alone. It sounds a bit negative. Solo is the word. I'm not complaining.

Solo is OK -- as long as you're not alone.  It's good to have at least a few friends.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter if Amanda deleted it.  She may as well have left it up because it's all over the press now with the tweet she tweeted and the pictures. I hope MF and AA bring down the law hard on that hateful nonsense.

Even with the cooperation of Twitter (which I assume the police will get, one way or another), it could be difficult to identify the person responsible, especially if they took measures to hide their identity, such as using a public computer.  It depends on whether the police are taking this seriously enough to expend the effort necessary.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2015 at 6:32 PM, sfmpco said:

Amanda in Cuffs.

Hey, this is a family-oriented forum!!!  :P

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Interview about S3 and the Special with Amanda Abbington.

Interesting:

How is it playing the Victorian Mary? You put the costume on, do you immediately stand up straighter?

Yeah, you do. You’re in a corset. And also, because of the way Mark’s written it, it’s not modern dialogue, so there is an element of everything being held and placed. That just happens automatically with the costume. Because it’s really heavy! That’s genuine one-hundred year old material, you pick it up and it just rips, so you have to be really careful with it, but as soon as you’re in it, you just find yourself quite placed,  which is great, because that’s the period. Repression, keeping the women down…

Amazing that they used actual period fabric for the costumes.  How are they going to make Victorian period-pieces in another hundred years?

From what I've read, the Victorian men were pretty repressed as well.  Maybe they were the ones doing their own repressing, but I imagine a good bit of that self-repression was going on with the women as well -- like, "It's got to be done this way, because this is the proper way."  (Like when I was a teenager, and "nice girls" were supposed to wear girdles -- sort of our version of the chastity belt, I guess.)

Or hose ... the happiest day of my life was when my niece informed me that women were no longer expected to wear hose with sandals. :d

• Like 1

Whuo.. whuat.. girdles? Hose with sandal?

Edit..

Oh oh.. 

Shapewear..XD. I was terrified when you said chastity belt. I remember seeing a corroded one in museum. :blanket:

And hose.. :lol: for some reason I was thinking of water hose tied to sandal. :rofl:

Not too worry, I got it now... :p

• Like 2

Here's Ms. Abbington in a promo for Dog's Trust ("A dog is for life -- not just for Christmas"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XeleRPcxRO4

And yay!  Suddenly I'm able to post embedded videos again.  :D

• Like 2

That is nice, what she did.

Wish more people treat commitment of having pets as equal as having kids.

• Like 2

I've had no kids, but I've rescued 4 cats and 2 dogs.  All have passed away, but i have two foster cats now.  The one that gets me all the time is people who move and say that can't take their pets.  Uhm... how about you treat your pet like a member of the family and get more determined to find a place for all of you?

• Like 3

We moved a lot when I was a child -- changed continents every couple of years -- and we always left our cats behind when we moved. :cry: I've always felt guilty about it. To be fair to my parents, they always found someone who said they would take care of the cats after we were gone. But I've always wondered if they actually did. But that's how you did it, back then.

• Like 1