Series 4 (and Special) Speculation

T.o.b.y

Whatever the solution is, I predict that the episode will begin with a period scene and we're supposed to sit there thinking WTF???? until it is somehow explained somewhere along the way, by which point our brains are too fried to ask any picky questions.

I think I will have reached that point long before the episode airs. In fact, I may be there already.
  • Like 1

Could be a nightmare, too.

Also could be someone's high fever/drug induced hallucination

Baskerville goin' back at it, then. ;)

• Like 2

Could be a nightmare, too.

Also could be someone's high fever/drug induced hallucination

Baskerville goin' back at it, then. ;)

Yep, sounds about right. Unless it's the high fever, then we could claim something else as the cause.

I just hope the special isn't goofy, and that it will be tied to the main story. I want a true 10th episode, not a joke, and I do not want Sherlock to turn into a version of Dr Who - there is a reason that I hardly ever watch the latter.

I do wonder how going back in time will help explain Moriarty's return...

• Like 1

The historical thing and the Moriarty explanation could be two fairly separate subplots -- like the wedding and the Mayfly Man -- that may somehow tie together at the end.

If it all turns out to have been a dream or some other sort of joke, I will be astonished, considering Martin Freeman's enthusiasm for the idea (whatever it is).

Here's a little twist on the "it's a book" theory: How about a bedtime story for Miss Watson? Theoretically, they could skip the years where she's an infant and go right to the age where she can be a female Archie who thinks corpses and old Victorian lab equipment are cool.

• Like 3

I just hope the special isn't goofy, and that it will be tied to the main story. I want a true 10th episode, not a joke, and I do not want Sherlock to turn into a version of Dr Who - there is a reason that I hardly ever watch the latter.

I do wonder how going back in time will help explain Moriarty's return...

Just given the amount of structural and dialogue cross-over between Dr. Who and Sherlock, I do expect this episode to be a little bit Whovian.  (I don't mean that the dialogue repeats, but you can hear a lot of Sherlock in Dr. Who and vice versa.)  I think it could work -- an episode that stands alone but still furthers the overall plot.  Kind of like Baskerville on steroids.

• Like 1

I understand what you mean Boton, I'll sometimes hear a phrase that triggers me to think 'oh, that was in Sherlock, too!' only to realise it was actually in Doctor Who.

• Like 1

Yup.  Having seen very little Who since the early Colin Baker era, when I watch one of the newer episodes I am generally taken aback by the "Sherlock references"!

Seeing these photos of John and Mary in their normal modern-day dress in a graveyard makes me wonder. Whose grave are they visiting? Moriarty's? Like, are they checking whether it's occupied? Or the "real" Mary Morstan's, maybe? That would be such a cool shot. Mary standing in front of that grave. It would almost make up for the fact that we never got a shot of Sherlock at his own grave. I wanted that so much...

And what are they doing there without Sherlock? Where's Sherlock?

That must take place pretty shortly after the end of His Last Vow, judging by the clothes and the fact that Mary still looks very pregnant.

I feel a little bad about being so happy over these probably illegally taken photos that very likely should not have been published. But the wait is so long, and the speculation is so much fun.

• Like 1

Whose grave are they visiting? Moriarty's? Like, are they checking whether it's occupied? Or the "real" Mary Morstan's, maybe? That would be such a cool shot. Mary standing in front of that grave.

There was a Twitter post with an excerpt of the list of people buried in that actual Bristol cemetery -- and one of them is a Mary Watson Something-or-other.  Just a tad creepy!

See "Christmas Special Filming News," starting here.

And thanks for using a spoiler box, T.o.b.y!

Yeah, about 2 minutes later I found them, but thanks! So, one of my wishes looks like it might come true:

... it looks like at least part of this episode will pick up where S3 left off ... yay!

Whose grave are they visiting? Moriarty's? Like, are they checking whether it's occupied? Or the "real" Mary Morstan's, maybe? That would be such a cool shot. Mary standing in front of that grave.

There was a Twitter post with an excerpt of the list of people buried in that actual Bristol cemetery -- and one of them is a Mary Watson Something-or-other.  Just a tad creepy!

I agree on the creepy yet there is a little bit of Archie in me that goes cool (just like he does with the maggots).

• Like 1

If the Victorian stuff is really set in the 1890s and not due to a costumed event or something like that, I wonder what they will do with Molly in that setting. I mean, were there female pathologists in Doyle's time? I don't think so...

True, we don't... I'm just assuming that because Sherlock is dressed just like the traditional Sherlock Holmes, deerstalker and all, that he will be his great detective self, and John will be Watson and Mary his wife and so on and so forth. But of course that could all be wrong.

The costumed event theory is becoming less and less likely, if you ask me. First of all, the locations we've seen don't look like places where you'd hold a party, there are too many of them, and there is more than one costume per person (for example, Watson has a brown suit in some photos and a gray one in others).

So I think somehow or other, they are really going back in time, and it's making me nervous, because if anything supernatural is dragged into Sherlock, I think that might very well ruin the show.

I still like the mind palace idea best of all. The extensive mind palace scenes are among the best novelties of series 3, if you ask me.

What also confuses me is that actors and writers keep talking about the special as being rather "dark" thematically, and yet dressing everybody up in period costumes seems like such a lark. It makes my brain expect silliness, not tragedy.

At least we already know the special will be worth watching just for the imagery. The filming locations we know of are gorgeous, the costumes are beautiful and I am sure the camera work will be as wonderful as ever.

• Like 3

I have this feeling that once I see it, I'm gonna be all "Duh, how did I not guess this is what was happening?!"  But right now I'm so confuzzled.

I have this feeling that once I see it, I'm gonna be all "Duh, how did I not guess this is what was happening?!" But right now I'm so confuzzled.

I have a feeling a lot of us fans will be in that same boat.

True, we don't... I'm just assuming that because Sherlock is dressed just like the traditional Sherlock Holmes, deerstalker and all, that he will be his great detective self, and John will be Watson and Mary his wife and so on and so forth. But of course that could all be wrong.

I doubt it!  And presumably the other canonical characters will be themselves as well.  Which still leaves Molly for us to wonder about.

... there is more than one costume per person (for example, Watson has a brown suit in some photos and a gray one in others).

Thanks for that detail -- I hadn't noticed. So apparently the Victorian action takes place over several days (especially considering that 21st-century John sometimes wears a shirt for more than one day).

What also confuses me is that actors and writers keep talking about the special as being rather "dark" thematically, and yet dressing everybody up in period costumes seems like such a lark. It makes my brain expect silliness, not tragedy.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jack the Ripper. Dark enough for you?

Loo does play a doctor, though, in Ripper Street... so is it out of the question for her to still be a doctor/pathologist in this?  That show starts in 1889.

Loo does play a doctor, though, in Ripper Street... so is it out of the question for her to still be a doctor/pathologist in this?  That show starts in 1889.

Wow, you know what? I just did a little superficial internet research, and according to Wikipedia, England allowed women to be registered as physicians as early as 1876. See this article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_School_of_Medicine_for_Women

So Molly could just be Molly, I guess! Who knew!

• Like 4

Wow, you know what? I just did a little superficial internet research, and according to Wikipedia, England allowed women to be registered as physicians as early as 1876. See this article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_School_of_Medicine_for_Women

So Molly could just be Molly, I guess! Who knew!

Anyone who studied British medical history or history of women in the British workforce.  AKA probably not most of us.  But that is interesting to know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, during a long walk today in the glorious sunshine and icy cold, I was thinking: How do we know that the people we see in the Victorian scenes actually are Sherlock, John, Mary, Molly, etc.? Couldn't they be entirely different characters who just have those familiar faces because someone has mentally cast them in the parts of (fictional) historical characters? For example, wouldn't it be a riot if the detective and his assistant who is played by Martin Freeman were given the alternative names Doyle considered fro the boys, namely Sherrinford Holmes and Ormond Sacker? The detective could theoretically be an ancestor of Sherlock's, although that would be pretty cliché.

• Like 4