Novel "Mycroft Holmes" by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Arcadia

That's a cool idea -- an novel about Mycroft.

As for it being written by a former professional athlete, it takes brains to be at the top of most sports -- and I'd say that includes basketball, especially back when Abdul-Jabbar was playing.  There were a number of relatively short pro players then, implying that skill and strategy were more important than sheer height.  So good for him!

Yeah, he doesn't actually need a ghostwriter, he's just trying to spread the proceeds around ..... ;)

Sorry, sorry, I know, shut up now ....

She's not a ghostwriter.  Ms. Waterhouse has her name on the cover, so she's a co-writer, meaning that Abdul-Jabbar is being honest about having some help.  And this doesn't seem like the sort of novel that someone would come up with if they just wanted to cash in on their name.  So who knows?  I am intrigued.

They've worked together before, writing and producing a documentary (On the Shoulders of Giants) about the New York Renaissance, an all-black basketball team of the 20's and 30's.  It was well reviewed by the Hollywood Reporter.

Hey, your first reaction may have been accurate -- how would I know?  But it pays to give people a chance to show what they've got. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think I would read that. I'm kinda curious what it is like. I might waste some time, but it seems like a cool book. Or at least, I adore the idea! 

I'm not really sure how I feel about this.  On one hand I'm kinda eh about it, but then Mycroft, but then it's not necessarily the same Mycroft. 

Amazon now has a pre-order page for this novel (hardback and Kindle), and according to their blurb, it's Mycroft's backstory:

This story occurs when Mycroft, an athletic Cambridge graduate, assisted the Secretary of State. He becomes embroiled in a mystery in Trinidad—based on actual history.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this.  On one hand I'm kinda eh about it, but then Mycroft, but then it's not necessarily the same Mycroft. 

It would be kinda cool if Mark wrote a book about him, haha. 

YESSSS!!!!  I would be the biggest fangirl that ever fangirled, and my husband would mock me for all eternity, but I'd be all over pre-ordering that book.

• Like 1

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On one hand I'm kinda eh about it, but then Mycroft, but then it's not necessarily the same Mycroft.

YESSSS!!!! I would be the biggest fangirl that ever fangirled, and my husband would mock me for all eternity, but I'd be all over pre-ordering that book.

Maybe we should write him a letter:"hi Mark, could you be a doll and write us a book about your vision on Mycroft? Thank you dear"

• Like 7

• 1 month later...