Who Is Your Favourite Main Character?

Undead Medic

Who is your favorite main character?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite main character?

• Sherlock Holmes
    • Dr. John H. Watson
    • Mrs. Hudson
    • DI. Greg Lestrade
    • Jim Moriarty
    • Irene Adler
    • Molly Hooper
    • Mycroft Holmes
    • Sgt. Sally Donovan
    • Janine
    • Eurus Holmes

Moftiss have said very much the same thing in one of the commentaries -- something like when Lestrade isn't guest-starring on Sherlock, they imagine he's starring in Lestrade.

Oh, I like that!

Thank you for letting us know what they say during the commentary. I've never watched it because it irritates me to have this constant reminder that what I'm seeing isn't real.

I'm glad there are so many people who like Lestrade. I do, too, I just tend to forget about him because the main characters are so compelling. I hope they've written something really nice for him into series 3. Promotion, a happier love life, whatever. He's definitely somebody I don't want to see suffer.

In Canon, Lestrade was more visible then any other of the Met detectives Holmes worked with but "Sherlock" has certainly brought him to the forefront and Rupert Graves gives him so much life and verve.

Here's that part from Ariane DeVere's semi-paraphrased quasi-transcript of the commentary:

Lestrade doesn’t appear all that often in the novels and is quite inconsistent in them. Mark and Steven decided to go with the version who appeared in The Six Napoleons: he’s a man who is frustrated by Holmes but admires him, and who Holmes considers as the best person at Scotland Yard, “and actually,” says Mark, “if Sherlock Holmes wasn’t around, you’d like Greg Lestrade on your case, I think.” They saw several actors who auditioned for Lestrade but all of them came across as slightly comic, whereas “with Rupert,” says Steven, “you thought he could have his own series being Lestrade. It’s like, if Sherlock Holmes doesn’t turn up, there is another television series where Inspector Lestrade solves the crime!” Steven adds that, “he seems like a handsome man but no-one’s told him, ‘You’re actually terribly good looking’. There’s also something very fatherly about Rupert. The fact that he’s got four children probably helps!”

• Like 2

Steven adds that, “he seems like a handsome man but no-one’s told him, ‘You’re actually terribly good looking’.

If he could only hear some of the comments made by fans on his person... His ego would rise through the roof.

Speaking of which, I just love how Sherlock's shirts and jackets are a teeny bit too tight around the chest. It's as if he was about to literally burst with pride any moment.

Steven adds that, “he seems like a handsome man but no-one’s told him, ‘You’re actually terribly good looking’.

If he could only hear some of the comments made by fans on his person... His ego would rise through the roof.

Speaking of which, I just love how Sherlock's shirts and jackets are a teeny bit too tight around the chest. It's as if he was about to literally burst with pride any moment.

I don't know how the thread took this turn :) but I'd have to agree

How did it take that turn? Easy: Lestrade - good looking - ego - Sherlock - any little detail about Sherlock that just (fondly) passed my mind. Poor Lestrade, I just never seem to be able to dwell on him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even have to think. Watson. And followed by Sherlock, but Watson come first. Especialy after the final of Season 2... I mean...

(spoiler alert, maybe, but I don't know how to "spoiler" my text... don't laugh at me !)

I cried with him, knowing there would be a Season 3, and that Sherlock couldn't be dead... I couldn't help it.

• Like 1

You hide spoilers like this:

Your content goes here.

Carol has created a thread which goes into mere detail, Here

:)

I don't even have to think. Watson. And followed by Sherlock, but Watson come first. Especialy after the final of Season 2... I mean...

(spoiler alert, maybe, but I don't know how to "spoiler" my text... don't laugh at me !)

I cried with him, knowing there would be a Season 3, and that Sherlock couldn't be dead... I couldn't help it

I'm getting the impression that there are actually more people out there who love Watson best than Sherlock... Yay, I've always wanted to be part of a minority :)

Maybe the show will be called "John" by series 5, who knows...

Oh, I don't think you need to spoiler-box Sherlock being alive. I'm pretty sure that's gotten round to everybody by now - except the said John Watson, of course.

I don't even have to think. Watson. And followed by Sherlock, but Watson come first. Especialy after the final of Season 2...

Definitely.  I suppose it would be boring to have a show with just (either) one of them, so in a way it's silly to pick one or the other as a favorite.  But yeah, John Watson for sure.

I was hooked on the show by about ten minutes into "A Study in Pink," and it has remained my favorite show since then.  But up until "Reichenbach," I didn't really have a favorite character (other than "all of them").  I will certainly not dispute that all the characters are wonderful and well written, nor that Cumberbatch, Scott, and Freeman (in particular) all gave stunning performances in "Reichenbach," so I guess it all comes down to one's personal taste.

I think Sherlock's still well ahead in the poll, though.

Your content goes here.

Tim, apparently "noparse" works only for Admins at this point!

Definitely.  I suppose it would be boring to have a show with just (either) one of them, so in a way it's silly to pick one or the other as a favorite.

That's definitely true. Those characters work best as a team, which is true for the books as well. The few stories that are not told from Watson's point of view are just as little enjoyable as the long passages in those where Holmes is absent and Watson on his own (although in the latter case, it's usually very funny when Holmes turns up unexpectedly to tell the poor doctor he's done everything wrong, as in "The Disappearance of Lady Francis Carfax").

I think modern Sherlock can stand better on his own than the original character, though. Probably because we get to see and hear him independent of a narrator. He's also more accessible, more human, in a way.

I am sure his being attractive gives me a bias in his favor, too... and The Voice, of course, as well as the wonderful lines he has to use it on. I just love eloquence and they've given him such a wide range of pace, tone and vocabulary. It's sometimes more like watching a character in a stage play than television. Of course, that aspect also works best when set off by John's dry remarks.

I think modern Sherlock can stand better on his own than the original character, though. Probably because we get to see and hear him independent of a narrator.

Similarly, the modern John Watson is a more fully fleshed-out character, rather than merely the dutifully-modest lens through which we see the story.

I am sure his being attractive gives me a bias in his favor, too... and The Voice, of course, as well as the wonderful lines he has to use it on. I just love eloquence and they've given him such a wide range of pace, tone and vocabulary. It's sometimes more like watching a character in a stage play than television. Of course, that aspect also works best when set off by John's dry remarks.

Again, a matter of individual taste.  Some go for flamboyant and some go for subtle!  ;)

Oh, all a matter of taste, certainly! But do you really think the way Sherlock is played lacks subtlety? I think he's very nuanced and there is a lot that's left unsaid and has to be inferred from his facial expression and body language and tone of voice, in spite of his "wordy" lines.

Your content goes here.

Thank you !

I swear, I will read all the important posts, as soon as I can :)

I'm getting the impression that there are actually more people out there who love Watson best than Sherlock... Yay, I've always wanted to be part of a minority :)

Oh, I don't think you need to spoiler-box Sherlock being alive. I'm pretty sure that's gotten round to everybody by now - except the said John Watson, of course.

Oh no, please ! I like Watson more because he is more likeable to me, but Sherlock is more some source of admiration ! And as you said, those characters work best as team.

A spin off, maybe, but recalling the show "John" would mean a different direction, and I won't like that, I think ^^

I don't even have to think. Watson. And followed by Sherlock, but Watson come first. Especialy after the final of Season 2...

Definitely.  I suppose it would be boring to have a show with just (either) one of them, so in a way it's silly to pick one or the other as a favorite.  But yeah, John Watson for sure.

I was hooked on the show by about ten minutes into "A Study in Pink," and it has remained my favorite show since then.  But up until "Reichenbach," I didn't really have a favorite character (other than "all of them").  I will certainly not dispute that all the characters are wonderful and well written, nor that Cumberbatch, Scott, and Freeman (in particular) all gave stunning performances in "Reichenbach," so I guess it all comes down to one's personal taste.

I think Sherlock's still well ahead in the poll, though.

I agree, it all comes down to one's personal taste. Especially with a show with characters as well written...

Oh no, please ! I like Watson more because he is more likeable to me, but Sherlock is more some source of admiration ! And as you said, those characters work best as team.

A spin off, maybe, but recalling the show "John" would mean a different direction, and I won't like that, I think ^^

Don't worry, I was only quoting a joke made by Freeman in a recent interview. I have no fear of that ever really happening.

Oh, all a matter of taste, certainly! But do you really think the way Sherlock is played lacks subtlety? I think he's very nuanced and there is a lot that's left unsaid and has to be inferred from his facial expression and body language and tone of voice, in spite of his "wordy" lines.

Nope, not saying that.  And John has his blatant moments as well.  It's just that Sherlock is an intrinsically "larger than life" character, whereas John is inherently a more quiet one.  I find that Sherlock's memorable moments tend to be fairly dramatic, while many of John's blend into the fabric of the scene on first viewing.

I think that people react to television characters very much like they react to meeting people in person (except of course that the television "relationship" is one-sided).  Say you meet a dozen people at a party.  Maybe they're all nice, but some of them stand out, presumably because you're compatible with them in certain ways.

...John has his blatant moments as well.  It's just that Sherlock is an intrinsically "larger than life" character, whereas John is inherently a more quiet one.  I find that Sherlock's memorable moments tend to be fairly dramatic, while many of John's blend into the fabric of the scene on first viewing.

I think that people react to television characters very much like they react to meeting people in person (except of course that the television "relationship" is one-sided).  Say you meet a dozen people at a party.  Maybe they're all nice, but some of them stand out, presumably because you're compatible with them in certain ways.

Larger than life - now that's certainly true. Especially when seen standing on a rooftop looking over London to dramatic music :)

That's an interesting theory about reacting to fictional characters the way one does to real ones! Hmmm, would I really like Sherlock as much if he were real and I had an encounter with him? His nastiness might be a lot less enjoyable up close... He seems more like a tiger or a cobra - beautiful and fascinating from a distance, but would I want to pet it?

Maybe I should have said, that's how I  react to tv characters -- as though we were all at some big party.  But even at a party, there are some people that I find most interesting from a safe distance!

Oh yes... Probably I couldn't quite follow your example because I hate parties.

Come to think of it, Sherlock does have some qualities I like in real people: bluntness, no capacity for or interest in small talk, high level of independence, complex personality, very individual, not openly sentimental (but secretly, I suspect, more so than he'd like to admit). You may be right, after all!

There certainly isn't any thing at all shallow about Sherlock....or John. But with Sherlock one would pretty much know where they stood no and's, if's or buts.

.... with Sherlock one would pretty much know where they stood...

Yes, in one word, too: boring, leave, idiot or, my favorite: Moron!

Anderson should take it as a compliment that Sherlock at least goes to the trouble to use entire sentences (and sometimes quite creative ones) when dismissing him.

• Like 1

Anderson should take it as a compliment that Sherlock at least goes to the trouble to use entire sentences (and sometimes quite creative ones) when dismissing him.

And sometimes even when he's no longer in the room:  "No, she was leaving an angry note in German!"  :P

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really decide. I really love Sherlock. He is written perfectly, with so much sass and other stuff i just LOVE!
But on the other side there is John, the funny, cute, little John who is Sherlock's best friend and who is so perfect, too!

My favourite character (ingoring these two) has to be Lestrade!

Oh yeah, and I don't like any of the women in the series expect for Mrs. Hudson!

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and I don't like any of the women in the series expect for Mrs. Hudson!

What about poor Molly? I think she is very likable character...