Sign in to follow this  
Caya

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

I've been playing this game with a friend for a bit, and we're having fun so far.

It's set in Classic Victorian Sherlock times, but the style undoubtedly owes a lot to Sherlock, floating texts and all. The puzzles are really varied and fair, but by no means easy. After you've gained enough clues by observation, dialogues, collecting evidence, lab tests and such, you can put said clues together in your mind, and draw conclusions from them.

This is, imho, the coolest aspect of the game. Some of those conclusions are a given, but most can be interpreted in two ways (as in, "James was defending himself" vs. "James was the attacker"). These conclusions then form a mental map that lead you towards the suspect you consider guilty. And if you didn't pay enough attention and chose poorly, you might well be wrong about that! The choice isn't obvious at all, btw, the first case had us debating for quite a while before settling on a solution.

Right or wrong, you can then decide upon two possible outcomes (like "inform the police" vs. "let Mycroft handle it"). These outcomes (together with your choice of guilty party) are supposed to influence how the game progresses, but we're not far enough yet that I've seen evidence of this.

All in all, it's a fun game made with obvious love for the source material. About the only complaint I have is that their Watson is of the somewhat daft variety and will most of the time stand around and make observations like, "This is really puzzling, Holmes!" (do say). Understandable in a game where you, the player, are supposed to do the heavy lifting, but it's still a bit annoying. But otherwise I can heartily recommend it. Best Sherlock Holmes game I've played so far.

• Like 3

Another question, you know my computer, would Stream work or should I opt for Download?

This is not Stream but Steam, Fox, which is a platform publishing games - this is their site for Crimes and Punishments, which also lists the hardware requirements. I must admit we're playing this in the den on the old PS3, but by the simple fact that it *can* be played on a PS3 or Xbox360 I'd guess that it's rather forgiving in its specs.

Yup Watson is daft but other than that, very enjoyable: the mystery is engaging enough and most puzzles are very amusing, some of them even pretty challenging.

• Like 1