J.P.

Mindburps & Synchronicities: Birds

It actually started with the pigeons that seem to be shooed away from a window at Bart's as the camea is showing the body lying on the pavement from the roof POV. It bothered me from the first time, because it looked somehow out of place to me, even if there can be a simple explanation: someone opened, or closed the window, or is just looking down on the street and scares the birds away. 

But then, there is a crow/raven shown in a close up at the beginning of the scene at the Tower. It's so prominent, that for a moment I thought I'm watching the wrong show. :blink:  We also hear crows carking. I wonder if they are shown just to define the location - which were clear only to insiders (There must be ravens living at the Tower of London or England will fall)

We still hear carking as Moriarty is led to the police car.

Then I noticed the big IOU graffiti with wings as S and W are being arrested  :wtf:

And so it began.

I started looking for birds in TRF. The logo of The Independend is a bird, probably an eagle, we see it as Watson reads the news.  

EPC6VA.png

Another bird (owl) is on the cover of the Grimm's Fairy Tales.

59TGV9.png

AND a bird is on the seal Moriarty uses on the yellow envelopes. 

We hear crows/ravens again at the cemetery as the camera follows Watson walking away at the end of TRF. 

It didn't take long to find this article about the Magpie symbolism attached to Moriarty. Because  Magpie is the bird on his seal.

I recommend the whole article (3 parts) BTW. It has some really good points.

His major introduction in this episode, the first time we’ve seen him have such an on-screen focus outside the pool, is during the robberies. That whole sequence is choreographed to Rossini’s “Thieving Magpie,” originally a story of theft and false accusation.

Magpies, along with the corvidae family in general, are considered birds of ill omen. They are associated with bad luck, are terribly clever, and they steal bright shiny things. All of these apply to Moriarty from Sherlock’s POV.

More than one fan, however, has pointed to this source of magpie interpretation, a well-known and historic nursery rhyme used for counting:

One for sorrow,

Two for luck;

Three for a wedding,

Four for death.

And it’s in this, I feel, that we find a structural guide to the show in looking at Moriarty’s interactions with Sherlock as the overall show arc.

Being me I had a look at other sources for magpie symbolism and found this interesting website

The magpie's obsession with shiny things is symbolic of our tendency to chase after false ideas or perceptions. When the magpie comes into our lives it is often a reminder that we may have to re-evaluate our priorities. Are we chasing after unsuitable desires? Are we serving a false ideal? Are we putting materialism ahead of matters of the soul?

(...)

And just when we get to know the symbolic meaning of the magpie, she eludes us and leaves us guessing what she's all about.

(...)

The magpie's message her is that not all things are what they appear to be

A little bird told me – or: it’s written all over the walls was the next text in which the bird madness goes on. And here is a follow-up

Things like that make me totally dizzy and unable to put anything reasonable into words, that's why this post is one big mess. Sorry. 

Is something really there or is it fandom's bored collective brain running amok? Could it ever be intended by the writers? 

Finally, yesterday I noticed this, which is really weird: 

ECDEJT.png

It's from the scene when John is at Sherlock's grave with Mary.

You see the white stroke, don't you? The source of it can be only a bird. If this is just coincidental, why the hell they didn't clean it up before shooting the scene?!

PS: Have you seen more of crazy birds in the series?

That's pretty interesting!

Here's what I think ... the connections may be intentional, in the sense this is something Moftiss knows about and uses as a structure for their show. But ... I don't think they expect the audience to know. And I don't think the audience will miss anything if they don't know. I think anything Moftiss want us to know will be shown eventually. And if it's not shown, then it doesn't really matter (to them!)

But .... I could be wrong! :D

• Like 1

I believe there were birds on the place cards at John & Mary's wedding (yup, here) -- maybe on the invitations too, but that's just a guess.

Oh, I forgot: we also hear a crow when John is in his (hotel?) room. And at the cemetery. 

Adler is also a bird - it means eagle in German. 

• Like 1