Mind TARDIS

How I think Moriarty faked his death

Either that, or someone who's trying to keep Sherlock "in the game". Or both at once, perhaps?

It's self-referential!

Clearly, BBC officials are the ones who have access to screens. So, it's a little poke at themselves by the creators of the show...they're Moriarty!  :P

Oh, of course! How could I not have seen that before now! :p

• Like 1

Jim Moriarty or not; dead, alive or cloned - I would love to see more Andrew Scott in S4! And I believe I will. :D

• Like 5

In Andrew Scotts interview at sherlocked he was asked who was more dangerous, magnussen or his character and he replied James mortiarty!

Not Jim!!!! I don't know though, could just have been a mistake?

http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2015/6/17/sherlocked-andrew-transcript-170615

Well, Jim is a pretty ordinary name, and we all know how Moriarty scorned things ordinary....

• Like 1

Jim Moriarty or not; dead, alive or cloned - I would love to see more Andrew Scott in S4! And I believe I will. :D

Perhaps the BBC's Sherlock will steal a page from James Bond? Jim Moriarty isn't one individual, but an entire network of "Moriartys" like S.P.E.C.T.R.E. (or the Dread Pirate Roberts....)

• Like 3

Hi all! I always suspected that we didn't meet the real Moriarty and that Andrew Scott's character was a very good actor hired to play the part- possibly an actor with a terminal illness, who was given a lot of money for the family he left behind, if he would act the part of Moriarty, including really killing himself. 

• Like 2

So -- you see Jim as sort of a cross between Jeff-the-cabbie from "Pink" and the fake that he claimed Sherlock was in "Reichenbach"?  That's an interesting suggestion, and I can't offhand think of any reason why it couldn't be true.

I think a lot of people already agree with your basic statement that Jim was not the modern equivalent of the canon's Professor Moriarty, though many see him as the modern Colonel Moriarty (the professor's brother).  On the other hand, some of us (including me) suspect that Jim really was the Professor-equivalent, but that Andrew Scott will be back as the Colonel (though Mummy Holmes may be involved somehow as well).  Hopefully we'll get an answer to at least some of this in Series 4 (if not the Special)!

Welcome to Sherlock Forum, bedelia1984!  :welcome:

• Like 2

Thank you for the welcome, Carol! :D

I think it was a recurring theme that Moriarty was associated with people being talked into suicide- it almost seems like his thing both in episode 1 (his orchestrating those crimes, almost a teaser of his MO), and in Reichenbach- with Sherlock himself. I have a weird feeling we may see the mother again too- there was a line she had in the finale- something about how she could turn monstrous/ murderous- quite intriguing! And, of course, there's that third brother. I so want to see Andrew Scott again, just not sure how he could survive that bullet, so close to Sherlock, without him noticing. Moriarty could have stockpiled a lot of video footage of him, I suppose, to use for his next scheme.

• Like 1

Some good points there bedelia.  I also would like to see Andrew back & Benedict's parents as well.  Soon we should see at least a little bit more Andrew because of the Christmas special.

• Like 1

Thanks SherlockedCAMPer. I cannot wait for this special. I wonder will Sherlock's parents and childhood come into play, because he first noticed Carl Powers as a teenager and would have mentioned it to them- could there be any link between the Holmes family and the Moriartys that predates Mycroft and Sherlock? I wonder could it have any bearing on the real plot or is it going to be mostly fantasy? I presume there will at least be clues to season four added in.

• Like 2

Welcome Bedelia! I hope you're right, there will be some clues, although I'll probably miss them. :p That's what you all are for!

:welcome:

• Like 2

Depending on how my brain's functioning, I'm liking to miss them too Arcadia.  After all, I missed Sherlock at the cemetery the first time in TRF.

Really? So did my sister! Did you leave the room, or just think it was a "ghost", or what?

I didn't leave the room.  It was one of those see but not observe moments.  I can't even blame it on my son.

• Like 1

I don't know why I'm so surprised, most of the time that would be me......

• Like 1

Can I blame it on being in the middle of my first Sherlock marathon watching?  It was the 4th episode that day with 3 more to go after. [i had already watched ASIP & TBB the 3 previous nights. (ASIP took 2 nights because Netflix was buffering horrendously.)]

No, you can't! :tongue:

Oh what the heck, that's a better excuse than some I've heard, go for it! :d

• Like 1

Now to get back on topic:

Moriarty faked his death by all off us watching all the Sherlock episodes dozens of times each & hyper discussing them to death so we add and/or think there is stuff that's not actually in the episode.

(and this makes almost no sense accidentally on purpose)

• Like 1

2016 is oh so far away......

2016 is oh so far away......

Yes it is, yet it's less than 4 months away.

Jumping into this conversation way too late as now it's almost 2017 and Season 4 is almost upon us but if Moriarty were to have "survived" shooting himself in the head my theory would be one of the following

In TAB Sherlock mentions, quite obviously, that it's "never twins" well what if this time it is? Moriarty has a brother as we know perhaps it could be his brother (or twin in this case) returning to follow in Moriarty's footsteps, perhaps in revenge for Sherlock being the cause of his brother's death? Alternatively, using the same theory perhaps Moriarty never died at all, maybe he used his brother as a scapegoat (maybe even in the same way he used others in TGG to get Sherlock's attention) and it was his brother that killed himself on Moriarty's orders, leaving Moriarty to come back full force years later. 

I know what you may be thinking "How could Moriarty kill his own brother?"... Well think about it if Mycroft can send Sherlock away on a mission he is certain will end his life in 6 months as opposed to imprisoning him then surely Moriarty can just as easily do something similar to his own brother?

I know these "theories" are kind of out there but you never know... Honestly Moriarty is probably just dead but one can only hope in seeing Andrew Scott return as Moriarty. 

• Like 1

And what if Moriarty's twin would be on the side of angels? Maybe Andrew we've seen on set is not Jim but his nice bro?

• Like 1

And what if Moriarty's twin would be on the side of angels? Maybe Andrew we've seen on set is not Jim but his nice bro?

Ooh that could be interesting although from the teasers I've seen these theories do not appear to be the direction the writers have taken the show. Ahh well it is all theories and speculation anyway :) 

Jumping into this conversation way too late as now it's almost 2017 and Season 4 is almost upon us

It's never too late!
 but if Moriarty were to have "survived" shooting himself in the head my theory would be one of the following

In TAB Sherlock mentions, quite obviously, that it's "never twins" well what if this time it is? Moriarty has a brother as we know perhaps it could be his brother (or twin in this case) returning to follow in Moriarty's footsteps, perhaps in revenge for Sherlock being the cause of his brother's death? Alternatively, using the same theory perhaps Moriarty never died at all, maybe he used his brother as a scapegoat (maybe even in the same way he used others in TGG to get Sherlock's attention) and it was his brother that killed himself on Moriarty's orders, leaving Moriarty to come back full force years later. 

I know what you may be thinking "How could Moriarty kill his own brother?"... Well think about it if Mycroft can send Sherlock away on a mission he is certain will end his life in 6 months as opposed to imprisoning him then surely Moriarty can just as easily do something similar to his own brother?

I know these "theories" are kind of out there but you never know... Honestly Moriarty is probably just dead but one can only hope in seeing Andrew Scott return as Moriarty. 

The "It's never twins!" line was, imo, obviously planted where we would notice it, but as a clue, or as a red herring? And why was Holmes so sure of that, anyway? Balance of probability, it's not twins, but ... never twins? But he has no problem with triplets in TS03? I thinketh I smelleth a rattus.....