Mind TARDIS

How I think Moriarty faked his death

That's what I was afraid you meant. ;)

I think a lot depends on whether the fans turn on it or not.

• Like 2

I think it depends a lot on how busy Ben and Martin get.

I'm not sure they can get much busier .... :lol:

• Like 1

Well, Marvel Universe has entered the picture.

Let's face facts, BC is an actor, he is not Sherlock, so he has to make hay while the sun shines; as someone already noted somewhere in the forum, all of them are middle-aged except BC, and he is not far off, and the younger fan base is about as stable as quicksand, or one of the quagmires in Hound if you prefer, so I would not get my hopes up. Has BBC actually confirmed in an official announcement, press release, or what have you, the existence of S4? Because articles in Radio Times do not count.

• Like 1

Has BBC actually confirmed in an official announcement, press release, or what have you, the existence of S4? Because articles in Radio Times do not count.

Well, there was this on the BBC website in July: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28123420

About Moriarty: if the solution is indeed a brother, identical twin or not, I wish they'd have given us a few clues before that Jim was actually more than one person. Perhaps there have been hints, and I just missed them?

• Like 3

I'm sure they could designate some things as clues, retroactively!

Some people are saying that Jim was more than one person (taking the cabbie literally, I guess), but that would seem to be only one of many possibilities, one being that there's a brother, Col. Moriarty, who has not previously been heard from (like the one in canon who started writing nasty letters to all the newspapers, denigrating Holmes after he "died").

Come to think of it -- hmmm -- maybe Jim is that brother, considering how he supplied Kitty Riley with all those accusations to put in her newspaper.  Some people have been saying that he's the Colonel rather than the Professor, but that particular evidence for the idea had never occurred to me before.

• Like 1

Oh my ears and whiskers! I was watching TEH, a bit distractedly, when the reporter outside the courts very clearly says "After extensive police investigation (no stone left unturned, good old Lestrade) , Richard Brook did in fact prove to be the creation of James Moriarty." If it is James and not Jim, who else is left? It  is getting curiouser and curiouser!

• Like 2

I think that Moriarty is dead, but like the way Sherlock had the "Lazarus" protocol in place for one of his 13 outcomes. What if Moriarty also has different protocols: such as a series of video recording set for his predecessor, whoever that may be. In which they cause terror through what Moriarty instructs them, like a will that he left behind so that he can cause mayhem for Sherlock if he suffers an untimely death.

• Like 4

Has BBC actually confirmed in an official announcement, press release, or what have you, the existence of S4? Because articles in Radio Times do not count.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/sherlock-miss-me

• Like 1

I think that Moriarty is dead, but like the way Sherlock had the "Lazarus" protocol in place for one of his 13 outcomes. What if Moriarty also has different protocols: such as a series of video recording set for his predecessor, whoever that may be. In which they cause terror through what Moriarty instructs them, like a will that he left behind so that he can cause mayhem for Sherlock if he suffers an untimely death.

Hello, and welcome to the Forum!

I like this idea, it's certainly better than anything I've come up with so far!

:welcome:

• Like 1

Oh my ears and whiskers! I was watching TEH, a bit distractedly, when the reporter outside the courts very clearly says "After extensive police investigation (no stone left unturned, good old Lestrade) , Richard Brook did in fact prove to be the creation of James Moriarty." If it is James and not Jim, who else is left? It  is getting curiouser and curiouser!

In canon, two of the Moriarty brothers were named James (there was also a possible third brother whose name is not recorded).  Even though this was presumably due to the same absent-mindedness that caused Conan Doyle to refer to Watson as "James" in one story, there are real-life instances of brothers having the same first name.  So the Moriarty brothers may have been James Robert and James Joseph, for example (known of course to the family as Jim Bob and Jimmy Joe  ;)  ).

• Like 2

I know a family with 2 Jessicas.  The difference is the middle name one begins with an L and the other an M.

That was wise -- even when siblings have different first names, it can be confusing if they have the same initials.

This is kinda off topic, so I'll make it brief, but when I was in college, there were two (unrelated) girls in my dorm who were both called Sue Smith (not!), which was of course confusing.  So the dorm director asked if maybe one of them would like to use her middle name instead, but they both said "Sue is my middle name."  So she suggested that they use their first names -- but they were both Marilyn Sue, and neither one liked the name Marilyn.  Fortunately, one of them was a year ahead of the other in school, so they ended up being listed in the student directory as "Marilyn Sue Smith (freshman)" and "Marilyn Sue Smith (sophomore)."

• Like 1

So the Moriarty brothers may have been James Robert and James Joseph, for example (known of course to the family as Jim Bob and Jimmy Joe  ;)  ).

No wonder they turned to a life of crime.

• Like 2

There is also the comment Mr Moffat makes in the commentary of TEH, that they deliberately shot the scene of Moriarty coming out of St. Bartholomew's and shaking Mycroft's hand and then going on his separate way, and that the director was not very pleased having to shoot a red herring and was impatient to go on with the job at hand. And throughout the hat deduction scene, neither of the two scriptwriters mentions that Mr Gatiss lifted it whole from the Blue Carbuncle.

Well, to be fair, if they mentioned every time they lifted something from Conan Doyle or Billy Wilder or Jeremy Brett, they'd have precious little time for anything else.  Also, their hat-deduction scene (near the top of that page), albeit highly reminiscent of the one in "The Blue Carbuncle" (ditto), is not actually a copy of it.  The hat is of a different type, it came into Holmes's temporary possession in a different manner, and the clues (other than the recent haircut and the repairs to the hat) as well as the deductions made from them are also different.

But yeah, you'd think they might have mentioned that.  I don't recall what they were talking about during that scene -- perhaps they managed to distract themselves.  I'm not terribly surprised, though, because I've kinda gotten used to movie and television commentaries that neither answer my questions nor mention points that I consider interesting or significant.

• Like 2

I think we are missing an interesting thing we might speculate over...

What, if anything, could Jim have on Molly Hooper?

Assuming that MindTARDIS was on to something and Jim really was blackmailing Miss Hooper, then what did he have on her?

I, as the mistress of protection, know just how powerful blackmail can be but what could be found in Miss Hooper's closet?

Oh and something has just occurred to me, the fact that blackmail has always been a theme throughout the series with the introduction of the Woman and that villain from season 3 with his own mind palace who threw poor John into a bonfire. Perhaps naughty Moffett with continue the theme?

So what do you think Jim might have on Molly?

• Like 1

She's actually a drug dealer? :D

Oooh, maybe!

Molly does after all work at a hospital; she could probably very easily get her hands on some high grade amphetamines.

Maybe she was at some point Sherlock's drug dealer? Maybe that was why she was so angry at him at the beginning of "His Last Vow"?

(Either because he didn't buy the drugs from her, or perhaps they worked very hard to kick the habit together?)

• Like 2

I think he's dead and his "return" is something or someone else.

I agree.

I think it's a less brilliant criminal who is hoping to trick people into believing that Moriarty is behind whatever criminal act the less brilliant criminal has committed. The video broadcast was a ruse intended to distract people.

• Like 1

Either that, or someone who's trying to keep Sherlock "in the game". Or both at once, perhaps?

• Like 1

Either that, or someone who's trying to keep Sherlock "in the game". Or both at once, perhaps?

It's self-referential!

Clearly, BBC officials are the ones who have access to screens. So, it's a little poke at themselves by the creators of the show...they're Moriarty!  :P

• Like 3

Maybe?  Maybe not?   Although, I'd lean to Andrew just using James instead of Jim.

I'm still not ruling out an Andrew Scott reappearance as a twin brother, though.  Although, it would be mighty weird to name your identical twins both James/Jim.   :wacko:

• Like 1