Arcadia

What will the Watsons name their baby?

Inspired by the great "baby name debate" over in ... well, that other thread. :)

Be as serious or silly as you like. Feel free to make fun of each other's choices. We've still got months to go, we have to kill the time somehow. :p

Hopefully after the baby's actual name is revealed our beloved moderator will delete this thread to save us all a lifetime of embarrassment at how far off we were.

• Like 1

My silly guess: Gloria Scott Watson

My serious guess: Wilmotina Scherenschnitte Scotia Watson

:p

Why delete the thread after the reveal.  We need the reminder as a way to laugh at ourselves or to vent at what Moftiss chose for the baby.

That being said.  I like Jenny's Elizabeth Marie Sheralyn from her fan fic The Blackbird Sings Again.

It would not surprise me if there was some sort of throw to Sherlock's name even if it is as a way to throw us off before the actual reveal.

• Like 1

It would not surprise me if there was some sort of throw to Sherlock's name even if it is as a way to throw us off before the actual reveal.

They'd better!!! :)
  • Like 1

My ideas for a name (serious, funny, & a combination of the 2):

• Elizabeth Sherlolly Watson
  • Elizabeth Anne Watson
  • Beth Molly Watson
  • Sherlock Marie Watson (Sherlock somehow convinced Mary of his name being a girls name maybe :) )
  • Johnna Marie Watson (because they wanted to have both of their names in there somehow)
  • Abigail Charlotte Watson
  • Tracy Joann Watson
  • Like 1

Hopefully after the baby's actual name is revealed our beloved moderator will delete this thread to save us all a lifetime of embarrassment at how far off we were.

Are you kidding?  And miss a chance for blackmail?!

I'm still rooting for Gloria Scott Watson, as originally suggested by T.o.b.y over a year ago.

• Like 3

We certainly won't force you to play this particular game, then!  :D

Are you kidding?  And miss a chance for blackmail?!

Okay, but then I'm digging into your Reichenbach theories from 2012! :P

I'm still rooting for Gloria Scott Watson, as originally suggested by T.o.b.y over a year ago.

Oh, is that who I stole it from? Thanks, I couldn't remember. ;)

• Like 1

Gloria Scott Holmes Watson

Sherlyn Scheherazade Maria Watson

Maria Scheherazade Watson

Jon Mary Scott Watson

Jon Sherlyn Watson

• Like 1

Scheherazade, yes, perfect! :smile:

How about Blondie Watson?

• Like 1

I think some form of Mary could be one of the names as well as Elizabeth.  

Then there's:  Sheryl, Cheryl, Sherilyn, Sheralyn...

It wouldn't surprise me if somehow they sneaked in a name related to Sherlock despite John's insistence that they were NOT naming their daughter after him.  

• Like 2

They'd better, is all I gotta say. What he went through for them.......

Sherry? Sharie? Shirley? (Oh please, not Shirley.... hope we don't have any of those on this forum, oopsie, sorry!)

Maybe it will turn out to be a boy after all, it's been known to happen, right? Willie? Sherm? :D

• Like 1

I can guarantee you that if it was a boy, it's name would NOT be Hamish!!!

• Like 1

Because "Sherlock" literally means "fair-haired"?  Well then, how about "Goldilocks"?  ;)

Shirley? (Oh please, not Shirley.... hope we don't have any of those on this forum, oopsie, sorry!)

You would prefer maybe Laverne?  ;)

• Like 1

The only reason I can think of for naming the girl "Gloria Scott" would be so they can have an episode called "The Voyage of Gloria Scott". In which she is probably kidnapped or travels for some other reason.

I'm in love with Plaidder's suggestion in one (?) of her fan fics: Rachel. Because I think it's clever, it's a backhanded way of naming the kid after Sherlock (well, sort of) after all, and it's a perfectly nice, normal, okay name.

"Mary" would be fun, just to finally have a real Mary Watson. Or Mary Elisabeth.

I've tried finding out whether "Sherlock" is really a girl's name originally. I don't think so. From what I've learned so far, I gather that it was originally a surname meaning "bright hair" (that's where the lock comes in, and yes, I know 99% of you knew what it means already, sorry). As a given name, it seems to have been rare before Doyle picked it up and used only for boys. The female version I've seen listed as "Sherly" which seems like just another way of spelling Shirley. Which sounds a bit too cute for Watson offspring.

Wouldn't some fans go to pieces if they actually created a character named "Sherlock Watson" though - oh my god. :lol:

Anyway, I'm sticking with Rachel. In my head, she's already Rachel, to the point where I know it'll actually feel odd when I hear her "real" name in the show and it's something different.

Because "Sherlock" literally means "fair-haired"?  Well then, how about "Goldilocks"?  ;)

Shirley? (Oh please, not Shirley.... hope we don't have any of those on this forum, oopsie, sorry!)

You would prefer maybe Laverne?  ;)

Goldilocks Anda Threebears Watson. Still better than Shirley. Or Laverne.

The only reason I can think of for naming the girl "Gloria Scott" would be so they can have an episode called "The Voyage of Gloria Scott". In which she is probably kidnapped or travels for some other reason.

Works for me!

• Like 2

:lol: I thought I could never reconcile myself to the idea of Sherlock Holmes coming anywhere closer to a baby than an investigation of its neck and a formal handshake, but after having seen this:

tumblr_n1vp1yDcWr1qcmbd6o4_250.gif

I guess I have to acknowledge anything is possible, at least if you're the BBC making a literary adaptation. So god knows what we'll get, but once more it has been proven: A good actor (and seriously good-looking character) can reconcile me to scenes I'd have puked at if I only read them in a script.

• Like 3

My sister and I saw some big, butch Marines out briskly jogging, and a toddler ran into their path, forcing them to stop and run into each other. One of the Marines knelt, made sure the kid was okay, turned him gently around and sent him back to his mom. My sister goes "Oh Gawd, men are soooo sexy when they're being gentle with children." Yup.

By the way, what show is that up there?

• Like 4

Y'know what'd be pretty ironic? Since John and Mary have pretty common names (coincidentally the first names of two characters in Supernatural), they should give their kid a radically uncommon name. Like Sherlock.

• Like 3

By the way, what show is that up there?

My latest infatuation: a fairly new BBC (what else ? :P) series based on Dumas' "The Three Musketeers". It's not one tenth as good as Sherlock in my humble opinion, but it's seriously great fun for me. The guy above

spent the first minutes of the episode jumping over a wall in slo-mo and simultaneously shooting an opponent in the chest, then in one fluid movement caught a falling lady in his arms and tried to flirt with her. If anybody had told me then "thirty minutes in he'll be singing to a baby" I'd have laughed in that person's face and / or regurgitated my popcorn. But it worked really well, I didn't even find it too sweet or kitschy. It was just... sweet. The good way.

Y'know what'd be pretty ironic? Since John and Mary have pretty common names (coincidentally the first names of two characters in Supernatural), they should give their kid a radically uncommon name. Like Sherlock.

As long as they don't opt for Mycroft...

I prefer common names. And with a last name like Watson, it would sound a bit odd to have a very fancy given name, now, wouldn't it?

I don't think John would ever go and openly name his daughter after Sherlock. No way, we are not naming our daughter after you. But she might very well end up with a Sherlock-related name (like Rachel :P ) and then John will deny for ever and a day that was what he was thinking of, and Mary can smile indulgently in the background and shake her head.

• Like 2

Thanks, I've heard of but never seen, sounds like something I'd like!

BBC America plays that show if I recall correctly.

Other name ideas: Jane Seymour (because we need to add another one to British History)

Sarah Jane Watson

Sarah Jeanette Watson (Because somehow the ex-girlfriends' names got in there)

Anthea Elizabeth Watson (see reason above, but add 'failed attempt at getting a' in front of it)

So far, I'm not super keen on any of the suggestions (sorry!).  Rachel strikes me as awfully sad, naming her after a dead baby.  As for naming her after John's old girlfriends -- well, I don't think I would have cared to name my daughter after any of Alex's old girlfriends!

I halfway agree with Bendy, that it'd be good to give her a not-too-ordinary name to offset the Watson -- maybe not Scheherazade! but something with a bit of sparkle and preferably three syllables (to avoid a bumpa-bumpa rhythm).  Someone suggested Elizabeth, which would work, plus it's Mary's middle name.  (I'd rather they avoided actually calling her Mary, since that could lead to the usual confusion when the kid starts getting phone calls -- but Mary might make a nice middle name.)

I still like Gloria Scott the best (though as I said I'm not super keen on even that).  I hope they would not feel obligated to involve the poor kid in that story's plot, but I would kinda like to see them give her that name as a sly wink to canon.  And Scott is Sherlock's middle name, so that could be a way of naming her after him without actually naming her Sherlock.  And besides, Gloria has three syllables.

• Like 2