Order of birth, reversed

Shadow Dweller

How do you think the Holmes brothers' interaction would be if their order of birth reversed. Instead of older 'I worry about him, constantly' brother with younger 'leave me alone' brother, Sherlock was born as the first child and Mycroft the second with seven years age-gap. Sherlock still the world's only Consulting Detective and Mycroft is 'a minor Civil Servant'. :D

Ooooh, interesting question.

Hmmm. I think it partly depends on whether you think Sherlock actually has a psychological disorder or not. If he really does, then I'm not sure that much would actually change.

I don't think he does, so the first thing that comes to mind is ... he'd be less flamboyant. And less of a rebel. And Mycroft ... you know, I know so little about what Mycroft is really like, he's all masks and mirrors, isn't he? He'd be less bossy. Can't boss your older brother around; I know, I've tried. :D

Aghgh, sorry, it's much too early for me to have actual coherent thoughts, :smile: I'll have to come back to this.

• Like 2

I could see that as a reason why Mycroft doesn't like leg work as Sherlock would bring everything within reach if his little brother just because he liked his sibling at first. Then he would have realized that he shouldn't do that but Mycroft would already be spoiled.

I could see that as a reason why Mycroft doesn't like leg work as Sherlock would bring everything within reach if his little brother just because he liked his sibling at first. Then he would have realized that he shouldn't do that but Mycroft would already be spoiled.

:giggle:  Maybe if Sherlock catch the over-developed sense of familial responsibility, he might end up working semi-permanently for the government. 

• Like 1

I think it also depends a bit on their spacing in age, and how that was treated within the family.  They are seven years apart, so that could create a dynamic of their being essentially an "only child" and an "oldest child"  or "youngest child" within the same family.

There is a similar situation in my own family.  My father is 9 years older than his sister; he acts and thinks very much like a much warmer version of Mycroft. 

Would Sherlock and Mycroft switch temperaments with their birth order?  No idea.  But it's a fun thought.

• Like 1

Isn't temperament is from birth and personality is an amalgamation of what you are born with & life-experience? That's why I am curious about other people's opinion about how it might be on this scenario.  :D

Oh, the old nature vs. nurture debate! I have no idea but I agree, I've always felt most people were a combination of both.

I'm sure they'd have turned out different, but how different, I can't decide. The eldest is usually the more sober, responsible one, right? And the youngest tends to rely more on charm and charisma to get by? It's hard to imagine Mycroft being either of those, isn't it? :smile: He's mannered, but there's nothing charming about it.

I don't think they'd switch temperaments, exactly, it would be more a matter of how they managed their temperaments. Sherlock would probably still be the more emotional of the two, but maybe he'd manage his emotions in a more mature manner? And Mycroft would still be the "smarter one", I guess, but maybe not as driven to use it to propel himself to the top?

Or something else entirely! We still don't know very much about how they turned out the way they did.

• 3 months later...