:o I swear that it was only supposed to be a joke (and not so subtle poke) on Moriarty's psyche.

Ya gotta be careful with your jokes around here -- before you know it, somebody will write a dissertation on them!

• Like 3

:o I swear that it was only supposed to be a joke (and not so subtle poke) on Moriarty's psyche.

Sometimes we write dissertations on a joke knowing full well that it is a joke. We have fun here.

• Like 1

My incurable inner jester took that as permission to throw around wild theories for fun and giggles :D

• Like 3

My incurable inner jester took that as permission to throw around wild theories for fun and giggles :D

Go for it.  :P

• Like 1

I always admire the stamina of those who write dissertations on anything!

As for Moriarty.

Andrew Scott is simply my most favourite representation of him ever.

Andrew is such a  brilliant actor.

Moriarty is not Tom Riddle, just see how is he in the series. Is he really convincing as a smooth operator as Jim from IT? More like shouting, "I am a fake!" with his obvious simpering. Intelligent? Maybe. Smooth and charming? Not at all even as an adult with more experience in acting than ten years old boy. He's incapable to camouflage his real self. Probably he also have a manic bipolar condition.

"The big problem with a disguise [is that] however how hard you try it's always a self-portrait." ;)

• Like 1

Lol. Perhaps people who have experience in theater can enlighten us about various techniques of acting.

Moriarty is not Tom Riddle, just see how is he in the series. Is he really convincing as a smooth operator as Jim from IT? More like shouting, "I am a fake!" with his obvious simpering. Intelligent? Maybe. Smooth and charming? Not at all even as an adult with more experience in acting than ten years old boy. He's incapable to camouflage his real self. Probably he also have a manic bipolar condition.

I want to see Moriarty at the process of wooing someone experienced with emotional manipulation. That will prove his mettle in that area and settle down rampant speculations with fact.

I 2nd that opinion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Jim may have lost people; now if these people really mattered to him is another thing.

My first thoughts are toward Jim having a "live-in normal" but as he said to our boy "I should get me one of those" meaning he's never have one, so lets move on.

If Sherlock and Mycroft are at least similar to Jim then he wouldn't care too much about relatives like parents at least not that much, but perhaps if Jim had a sibling like Mycroft who was "like him" then maybe if he'd lost this person...

As for his metal state, I don't think Jim has bipolar as this particular disorder is usually very erratic and I believe that Jim always has a firm grip on his emotions.

I think those "jumps" from polite to anger is actually a highly calculated move to destabilise the thinking of anyone around him and designed to frighten others into believing that he "could do anything" when he probably won't since it would mess with his own plans.

Jim doesn't have difficulty hiding who he is (remember when he was Jim the gay guy?) but he has spent his whole life trying to get to a position where he doesn't have to hide who he really is inside. Jim found a place where he was accepted as the villainess consulting criminal he really was and used this position to live out the life that he wanted, topped with as much chaotic "fun" that he wanted.

So what do you think?

• Like 1

I can't quite decide if Jim's mood swings are real, or if he just does that to keep people off balance. A little bit of both, maybe? Poor impulse control?

I can't quite decide if Jim's mood swings are real, or if he just does that to keep people off balance. A little bit of both, maybe? Poor impulse control?

Perhaps it extends from the fact that Jim doesn't like to pretend to be someone else (even though he can) so he just "goes with the flow" when it comes to any of his emotions; unlike Sherlock who keeps it all tightly wrapped.

He just does what he wants...

Who he tried to frighten and destabilize with the sudden burst of anger, a toddler? :p Not working, it only make me want to swat his head and say, "Behave!"

• Like 1

Not frighten per say, perhaps destabilize? Imagine if your life depended on the whim of another person (like Jim) and this person seemed unstable?

This thought that this person could kill you on a whim might scare you out of your mind...

I believe that is what Jim's outbursts are about.

In that case, Sherlockian world, I will search ways to destabilize then topple off his tenuous grip in life

In that case, Sherlockian world, I will search ways to destabilize then topple off his tenuous grip in life

Haha, I like the way you think! :evil:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...