Steven Moffat news

J.P.

To be fair, all of them have always said they'd only do it so long as they thought they could keep the quality up. And if interest is waning, that's hard to do.

I do suspect Moffat might actually have "something" in mind, because he used to mention how he'd like to follow the characters into their more, ahem, "senior" years. (And I remember one time the audience crying "noooooo!" when he said it. :smile: ) But it also sounds to me like the level of attention -- especially the negativism -- has taken some of the fun out of working on the show, for everyone. Remember how gleeful they all used to be?

jQIU0fA.gif

I still wouldn't be surprised to see a special, some 5-10 (15-20?) years down the road .....

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Yep, someone will find a way to turn those remarks against him.

Did I ever get around to posting the link to this? Moffat giving a presentation on how to write a successful TV show (short answer: "I don't know.")

He was a teacher in his early working years, wasn't he? I didn't Watch the whole interview, but you can believe me: he remembers the job! A teacher one day, a teacher forever :D :D!

• Like 1

I've listened to it while doing dishes and some other things, thanks to his mercy for the translator. His English was what we, poor non-native speakers, dream of, so I didn't have to concentrate exclusively on it with eyes and ears. The only downside is that the Korean questions weren't translated and you could only guess them from the answers.

This one girl asked something johlock-ey, I assume something about the guys having a "deeper" relationship and I loved Moff's answer to that.

He was a teacher in his early working years, wasn't he? I didn't Watch the whole interview, but you can believe me: he remembers the job! A teacher one day, a teacher forever :D :D!

Was he? If I ever heard that, I had forgotten. Cool! No wonder I feel an affinity for him. :smile: He strikes me as the kind of teacher I would have really enjoyed learning from.

I admit I haven't heard it all the way through yet (2 hours, isn't it?) I think I'm going to follow your lead, JP, and listen to it while I do dinner. Laterz!

The same about the thought of SM being my teacher. But I've known two teachers with a similar sense of humor and wits, and I'm afraid he would be a pest for those he saw as stupid. But for me he would be a constant incentive to show him I'm not one of them.

• Like 1

The only downside is that the Korean questions weren't translated and you could only guess them from the answers.

I agree.  Memo to people making bi-lingual videos:  Remember that your audience will be composed mostly of people who understand only one language or the other.  Make sure to subtitle-translate *both* languages.

SM mentionned having been a teacher in his early years in an interview to the French TV magazine "Télérama", but that was a few years ago. I'll try to find a link, but it will be in French, if ever published online...

According to Wikipedia, "After gaining an MA degree in English from Glasgow, he worked as a teacher for three and a half years at Cowdenknowes High School, Greenock."

• Like 2

Hello Tobythebloodhound -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

As I understand it, Steven Moffat is currently working with Mark Gatiss on a new Dracula.  Just Google

Moffat Gatiss Dracula

... and you should get all the info that's currently available.  They do seem to be keeping it pretty hush-hush, though.

• 1 year later...

According to this Radio Times article, there are (surprise!) still no specific plans for doing more Sherlocks.

This part was news to me, though:

The pair did, however, confess that they wanted to bring back another iconic detective: Columbo.

Moffat said: “I really tried with Columbo. I did have a decent go at it, but the rights are really tied up.

“I think it’s a devastatingly brilliant format. My plan was to put Peter Falk to the back of my mind and start again from the beginning. Maybe just go madly different.

“But the one thing Columbo has to be is the most unprepossessing, seemingly unimpressive sadist you’ll ever meet. All that ‘Oh, just one more thing’ stuff isn’t absent-mindedness. He’s such a sadist.”

There's apparently more of that interview in the latest print issue of Radio Times.

Looks Ike we aren’t going to get a new Columbo then. I can’t say that I’m disappointed. That said, a few years ago I couldn’t see myself liking a modernised Holmes but it happened. We’re all used to different interpretations of Holmes though. Columbo was Peter Falk and Peter Falk only. I really can’t imagine being convinced by a  new Columbo. I remember Stephen Fry once saying how brilliant Columbo was and although I rarely see an episode whenever I do I can’t help agreeing with him.

Did you know that Falk was actually the third actor to play Columbo?  The first (whose name I don't recall) was in a radio play.  Then some years later there was a stage play with Thomas Mitchell (best known as Uncle Billy in It's a Wonderful Life).  Mitchell  got great reviews, but unfortunately died before the play got to Broadway.  Then some years after that there was the TV pilot with Peter Falk. All three used the same plot, the doctor who wants to get rid of his wealthy wife without losing her money.  Then of course the pilot got picked up, and Falk played Columbo off and on for the rest of his life.

Much as I adore Falk's Columbo, I can't help wishing I'd also seen Mitchell's.

I'm not charmed by the idea of Columbo as a sadist, tbh. Mr. Moffat does have a, uh … unique way of phrasing things, doesn't he? :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'm not charmed by the idea of Columbo as a sadist, tbh. Mr. Moffat does have a, uh … unique way of phrasing things, doesn't he? :rolleyes: 

Well, if you enjoyed Falk's Columbo, then you actually didn't mind what Moffat saw as sadism.  (As you say, he has a unique way of phrasing and/or looking at things.)  I personally didn't see it as sadism (the enjoyment of inflicting discomfort) so much as merely caring more about getting a murderer behind bars than about the murderer's feelings.  As I recall, his questions tended to get more pointed as the case progressed.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:17 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Well, if you enjoyed Falk's Columbo, then you actually didn't mind what Moffat saw as sadism. 

I was thinking more about how the show would turn out if Moffat was running it. 

Villain: Goodbye, Lieutenant. (holds open door)

Columbo: Goodbye, sir. (starts to exit) Oh, one more thing... (grabs the villain by the throat and grins sadistically) … you're under arrest. (Knees the villain in the groin and laughs.)

Villain: You're a bad cop!

Columbo: Do your research, I'm not a bad cop, I'm a sadist!

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

The latest news from Moffat and Gatiss is that The Unfriend, a play written by the former and directed by the latter, will NOT be performed this summer, because the entire theater festival has been canceled -- or at least postponed till next year -- due to continuing uncertainties regarding the coronavirus epidemic.

The production was to have starred Amanda Abbington.  Hopefully they'll all be able to get together next summer.  The play's premise ( a "satirical look at middle-class England’s disastrous instinct always to appear nice") sounds promising.  You can read the entire article on the Radio Times website: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2020-05-04/moffat-gatiss-play/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Alas, these days I find myself wishing more people had the disastrous instinct always to appear nice -- albeit in a more grammatically pleasing way. :P