Sign in to follow this  
SherLOCKED221

Do Sherlock and Moriaty Have a Mental Disorder?

I think Sherlock has certain traits partially born out of his mental acuity. He has a big ego about that and is a bit narcissistic when it comes to his mental prowess although I also suspect that ego is part of a self-defense mechanism against the bullying. The only one he can't get away with those behaviors with is Mycroft because Mycroft is smarter. So Mycroft grounds him that way.

He is anti-social but yet he has no problems giving a press conference when needed. Just don't ask him to your dinner party. He would be bored and end up insulting everyone.

He may seem like a total arse but yet he would gladly sacrifice his own life to safe his friends. Even shooting Magnussen was an act of self-sacrifice because he would take the punishment to save his friends... but remorse over it? We don't know. We DO know that he was scared afterwards probably both by what he'd just done and by the consequences... that's why we have the young Sherlock crying... looking to his big brother for help. He was in over his head.

Substance abuse - well, he's an addict but to what extent no one knows. Cigarettes come and go with him and we don't know what he was high on at the beginning of HLV. As Moffat has pointed out many times, however, in the original stories there are very few mentions of cocaine use, so it wasn't like he was doing it all the time, and this modern Sherlock certainly prefers to keep his mind clear in order to work.

I also don't think of Sherlock as charming. Moriarty could pour on the charm, but Sherlock is anti-charming. Moriarty, Magnussen, Mycroft and Sherlock at a dinner party and Sherlock would be the one who couldn't make a conversation without insulting anyone whereas the other three would be perfectly fine and adept.

And again with the remorse, I do think Sherlock feels it but sometimes only after him being "a bit not good" is brought to his attention, like he was with Molly at the Christmas party. He immediately did a 180 and apologized sincerely which shocked even John. But I think his words come flying out faster than he can put the brakes on them. He sees his version of "truth" whether it's the whole truth or not.

I agree with you about the truth thing. I have always wondered about the way he always insults people and he isn't even aware he's doing it. For him he's stating the facts that he observes, and they are the truth for him because everything beyond facts, reason or logic is an irrationality. And again it ties in with the fact that emotions don't make sense to him, although he does understand them. If he didn't, he wouldn't have that instinct to protect John, Mrs Hudson, he wouldn't be able to trust anyone if he never understood emotions. But he does . I believe Sherlock just doesn't understand why?

• Like 1

Sometimes I think he even understands the "why", but he just doesn't want to be bothered with adhering to convention. Too exciting to be using his brain, doesn't stop and think how he affects people, maybe. Like a kid who doesn't want to grow up (behave conventionally) because it's "boring."

• Like 1

@Arcadia

Now you put an image of Sherlock gleefully cackling while some people (read, victims of his sharp tongue) are glowering in the background. :D

• Like 1