Benedict Cumberbatch in Black Mass

sfmpco

I saw a longer clip of Black Mass a little while age and I think the accents are going to be OK. Depp seems to have nailed it, Benedict seems to be close enough as to not be annoying yet still great and the rest seem to be good from what I heard. I am really liiking forward to this film!

• Like 3

Yup, he just said what I'm afraid I'll think of it ... why does anyone find gangsters interesting? Although I'm more curious now, at least, to see what BC's role is like. Aghggh, a dilemma ... I can almost guarantee I will not like this film, but I'm enough of a dweeb to want to see BC in everything he does .... sigh.

• Like 2

there is a lot of Oscar buzz for Depp. The times that Benedict is mentioned it is positive. I tend to not like these types of films but will see it as the story is semi-local as I am less than 50 miles from Boston and, of course, BC.

• Like 2

Good point, petnurser.  I lived in the Boston area in the 70's, so the movie might be interesting to me just from that point of view.  I've seen some other things filmed there recently, though, and hardly recognized the place -- lots of new buildings since I was last there!

• Like 2

Prosthetic skin pieces for the face & padding for the rest of the body.

• Like 2

If you guys keep this up, I'll be tempted to refer to the character as Fatty Bolger rather than Billy Bulger.

• Like 3

Oooo, let's campaign for BC to play dear Fredegar in the Fellowship remake!  :D :lol4:

From what I have seen so far, a well-worth watching film! It's Johnny Depp, the chameleon of actors! Benedict acting as his brother is just the icing on the cake. Haven't seen a good Boston-based film or series since Boston Legal, so I'm quite looking forward to it. Just think: they got rid of the Irish Mafia in Chigago (Tammany Hall) back in the nineteenth century, and the whole thing kept going in Boston of all places! Weird place, the U.S.

... they got rid of the Irish Mafia in Chigago (Tammany Hall) back in the nineteenth century, and the whole thing kept going in Boston of all places! Weird place, the U.S.

Boston has had a huge Irish population roughly since the Potato Famine, so not odd at all that there would be both good and bad elements.  And (in my very personal opinion) if you think Chicago's Irish mob was actually wiped out -- well, I think they just went into politics!

And here it goes: A live press conference for Black Mass should start soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpOB41wiwVU

Together, the team, led by Harlow and Niederbaumer, were able to make up Depp in about two hours, but it didn’t stop there. Co-star Benedict Cumberbatch was also in prosthetics in every single frame of the film as they had to puff out his cheeks to make him appear heavier. His make-up took about the same amount of time as Depp’s did — two hours. Richie Alonzo did Cumberbatch’s make-up.

Source

Still no details but we're getting closer... ;)

ETA: now I have a picture of Ben wearing a dwarf-overall like those in Hobbit in my head.

• Like 1

It's amazing what they can do.  Depp doesn't even look like Depp to me.  If I didn't know that was him already, I'd never be able to ID him.

ETA:  Also, I thought it was interesting they padded BC's cheeks to make him look heavier.  He's been a bit thin lately, IMO.

You are essentially remembering correctly JP because he mentioned that in an interview as well.

Prosthetic skin pieces for the face & padding for the rest of the body.

this film was done last summer. Summers are warm here and Ben must have been broiling!

The film seems to be getting pretty good reviews, esp. the cast ... but there's also a consensus that it's not ... well, very much fun. (Surprise! It's about a killer gangster, what'd we expect!) I hate to say it but I'll probably pass.

• Like 1

I was debating it a few months ago and decided that I will see it on Sunday.

Will do.

Saw the movie.  It was done well.  Fairly violent and a fair amount of foul language as expected.  I enjoyed it (as much as someone can enjoy a film about a violent mobster who just about makes Moriarty look like a saint).  The music was good and the accents seemed believable to this Minnesotan (even Benedict's).  My interest was held through out and I like how the end credits were done.

• Like 1