Benedict Cumberbatch in Black Mass

sfmpco

Saw the movie.  It was done well.  Fairly violent and a fair amount of foul language as expected.  I enjoyed it (as much as someone can enjoy a film about a violent mobster who just about makes Moriarty look like a saint).  The music was good and the accents seemed believable to this Minnesotan (even Benedict's).  My interest was held through out and I like how the end credits were done.

I would have to agree with this. I could tell some slips of the accents but not enough to bother me. (I am native to southeastern Massachusetts, about 45 miles from Boston) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reviews! I may still have to pass, not fond of violent...... the only reason I would even dream of seeing it is just to check out BC's performance.

Thanks for the reviews! I may still have to pass, not fond of violent...... the only reason I would even dream of seeing it is just to check out BC's performance.

there wasn't a lot, but he was good.

• Like 1

Waks...

This is the movie I had been waiting for a long time. Because Johnny Depp and someone that I don't remember the name.. if only there is a forum dedicated to his works and has his picture on the front page.. hmmm...

Mostly, I enjoy serious movie and normally have good instinct to catch something good, without reading review.

Didn't even dare to check this thread, afraid to get spoiled.

ETA: don't regret watching for all my troubles, it's not my favorite, but imho it's good.

So, after strenuous-no-sleep-38-hours-don'tworryit'snotwork-it's fun-activity and barely enough rest, I hit the first theatre. It happens, the theatre broke, broke! Only the one that shows Blackmass! It is true! (Channeling Miss Wenceslass). Anyway, caught it in the second theatre. These are the only two theatres that shows recent but only selective movies.

If anyone doesn't know, this is based on true story and true person, only found out when watching the credit (got stuck in the corner but I did plan to watch it.

Yes, it's movie about a mob. There are violences and it's more disturbing that it based on true story.

There are many great actors, Johnny Depp, Peter Saargaard and Joel Edgerton are really good, and they are despicable characters.

Johnny Depp's eyes are really chilling and scary. He might wear contacts, but it really works well with the character.

And Benedict! Oh my, I have to admit I was being a very unproffesional movie watcher. Although I was quietly sitting, where he appears, I smiled like a nuts and swooned at his voice. First appearance, I forgot the storyline, but then it immersed. Missed him yet okay when he is not in the screen, because at least he is safe. XD (weird, yes)

Anyway, this is the first time I watch him in theatre, big screen. So yeah, I have to do a lot of praying to wish that I would be able to catch Christmas special in theatre like rumoured that I can access, but it's big fat chance, very unlikely.

Below not really spoilers, but it would be more fun if you watch without knowing I think. Nothing great or deep. Again, unproffesional movie watcher, for him. XD

No kidding, he mentioned something about Baker Street. Something ghastly, yes. But Baker Street!

He is cooking and wearing apron. Oh my..

There is a Sherlock's No once, almost spit out my popcorn.

He is charming, of course. Obviously

• Like 1

No kidding, he mentioned something about Baker Street. Something ghastly, yes. But Baker Street!

Hey, learn something every day!  I see that there's a nice long one in West Roxbury.

• Like 1

I went to see Black Mass on Saturday, with cautiously high expectations, and returned rather disappointed. It’s a movie that seems to keep wishing it were Donnie Brasco. (I certainly did)

Black Mass tries to go almost everywhere that DB or Goodfellas did, but doesn’t quite get there. It is slow yet sketchy, and lacks much of the tension that marks a good gangster movie (e.g. any of Martin Scorsese’s stuff).

Johnny Depp easily commands the show despite his makeup which is rather pasty. He achieves with his voice and body language what none of the violence could.

Cumberbatch seems to have been conned (or threatened!) into signing this movie, because he’s utterly wasted. The interview of him that I saw was sprinkled with words like “Shakespearean” and “searing”, and there definitely was scope to explore the brothers’ complex relationship, but that potential sadly remained ignored. One of the scenes he may have been referring to was between him and Depp where Billy persuades Jimmy to meet with Connolly, but which was conspicuously edited out, leaving us just a fragment where we see Senator Billy Bulger in an apron, serving his mom and brother dinner. Because it was more important to show us the ‘warm family’ picture than the brothers’ conversation!

Of course, Cumberbatch is earnest and convincing in the non-role he’s been handed, but the bitter truth is they could have edited him out completely and the movie would still stand. 

Why suffer such injustice Ben? You deserve much better. Your fear of being stereotyped by the success of Sherlock is understandable but it’s no reason to rush into cool-sounding projects without making sure you’re getting a substantial deal.

I can almost picture what the conversation must have been like:

Ben, are you sick of playing intellectual sociopaths?

Yes

Wanna do a gangster flick?

Yes of course I keep dreaming about it but ..er..

We’re going to cross-breed Donnie Brasco and The Departed.

<Sharp intake of breath>

You’ll play a suave politician whose complex, dark relationship with his gang-leader brother is the centerpiece of the story.

Oh-kaay sounds lovely

Johnny Depp’s playing that gang-leader brother. Wanna sign up?

God, yes

Tricky business, movies.

• Like 2

Well, BC must've read the script, so he knew what he was getting into. I get the impression he's pretty savvy about things like that. And when he signed up for it, he hadn't achieved quite the level of recognition he has now, either. I imagine it seemed like a golden opportunity at the time.

See, your review is what I'm afraid I'll encounter, and I'll now reveal a little secret that may get me into a lot of trouble; :smile: I have never liked Johnny Depp as an actor. He doesn't "reach" me; much the opposite. So, too much Depp, not enough BC ... I still may pass and wait for the video.

Well, BC must've read the script, so he knew what he was getting into. I get the impression he's pretty savvy about things like that. And when he signed up for it, he hadn't achieved quite the level of recognition he has now, either. I imagine it seemed like a golden opportunity at the time.

See, your review is what I'm afraid I'll encounter, and I'll now reveal a little secret that may get me into a lot of trouble; :smile: I have never liked Johnny Depp as an actor. He doesn't "reach" me; much the opposite. So, too much Depp, not enough BC ... I still may pass and wait for the video.

Well of course he read the script; don't take me literally, i was being facetious and that imagined conversation is meant to be a sort of verbal cartoon :)

What I was trying to convey is that there probably was significant (to BC) difference between his original impression of the movie & his role, and the final product that was screened.

I like Johnny Depp and I also like gangster movies as a genre, and yet such was my experience, so you certainly have every reason to pass up this one :)

Well of course he read the script; don't take me literally, i was being facetious and that imagined conversation is meant to be a sort of verbal cartoon :)

I know. :smile: I didn't mean my response to sound as sharp as it may have done. And you may very well be right!

BC did presumably read the script before signing the contract -- but that would have been the original script.  There tend to be a lot of changes by the time filming is done, and then even more changes in the editing.  So who knows how he envisioned the movie when he signed.

• Like 1

I know. :smile: I didn't mean my response to sound as sharp as it may have done. And you may very well be right!

...I must tell you I hold the official world record for sounding sharper than intended; been at it since I was this high. From what I've read of your posts here you don't stand a whiff of a chance against me on that count :D

• 9 months later...

I watched Black Mass this weekend and have to say it didn't do much for me. But honestly it had some things going against it to start with: I'm not really a Depp fan and the film was violent and had foul language (both of which I expected). So basically I ended up zipping thru most of the movie and just watching BC's scenes. I was disappointed with his screen time and felt the brother's relationship could have been developed more, or edited less, and thought BC's accent was good (but I'm from Kentucky so I don't have a lot of experience with authentic Boston accents lol, but it sounded good to me). While the violence was about what I expected, the language is what really turned me off even tho I knew it would be there. I've always had a dislike for excessive use of expletives. Even when I'm sure they are used authentically for the time and characters I also feel that a good story can be told without so much distracting, for me, language. Sorry about that, I'll get back on topic. Overall the movie was interesting if a bit confusing at times, trying to keep up with who was working with/conning who, but that was probably due to me skipping thru some parts. Not sorry I watched, because BC was good at what he was given, but probably won't watch again.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I didn't even try to watch it, for all the reasons you mentioned. (Actually got up and walked out of a theater once about 10 minutes after the movie started because it was a constant stream of expletives. Meh.) Still waiting for someone to put "just the BC bits" on the interwebs. :smile:

• 2 months later...

Ha.

Incidentally I don't think I treated the forum to my words of  wisdom on this film!

Well it was very good...but I certainly never want to see it again!

I don't do violence...

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 9/10/2015 at 3:05 PM, SherlockedCAMPer said:

Prosthetic skin pieces for the face & padding for the rest of the body.

Hi All, I'm new here, but only recently saw Black Mass and wanted to comment on this because it's something I also took notice of when I saw the film. 

I honestly just assumed Benedict gained weight since this movie was filmed around the time he supposedly quit smoking cigarettes and I recall an interview from that same time when he stated something like he was having trouble staying away from junk food. 

Is there some source info on the prosthetics? Never heard that before, but it's an interesting theory. 

Anyway... just some eternally late words from the peanut gallery on a dead topic. :)

I love Sherlock though (Black Mass, not so much)... and I'll register for an account soon. 

• Like 1

Hello, DistantView -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!   :welcome:

I've never seen Black Mass (and judging from BesleyBean's comments just ahead of your post, I don't really care to).  But you've raised an interesting point.

Prostheses may well have been used, especially to alter his facial contours, but BC is also one of those actors who will gain / lose weight whenever requested to do so for a role.  Since Black Mass is, I believe, based on a true story, he's presumably playing a real person.  So I'm guessing that he did indeed gain weight, and on purpose.  I remember him mentioning one incident during the filming of Sherlock, when he was purposely gaining weight for an upcoming role.  When he was called on-set, he asked Una Stubbs to guard his cake.

I hope he doesn't (sooner or later) come to regret all this gaining and losing.  I've heard that if you repeat that cycle too often, your body will assume there's a famine going on, and will become more efficient in its use of calories -- making it increasingly easy for you to gain weight and increasingly difficult for you to lose it.

He apparently had more than that, according to this article:

Harlow sculpted a full prosthetic makeup for Benedict Cumberbatch who played Billy Bulger, including full cheeks and a chin piece....

Several other articles make references to "two hours of makeup to plump his cheeks," so my best guess is that all of his facial amendments were glued on the outside.  Some sources may have misunderstood, and reported that he stuffed them inside his cheeks, but seems like that would have made it difficult to talk (while doing a Boston accent, yet!).

14 hours ago, J.P. said:

I think I remember he had pads to stuff his cheeks for the part. Sadly, I don't remember where I've read it.

Well, I believe you... part of the reason I thought differently is that it looked so real when I saw the movie. They must have had a helluva prosthesis person on deck.

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hello, DistantView -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!   :welcome:

I've never seen Black Mass (and judging from BesleyBean's comments just ahead of your post, I don't really care to).  But you've raised an interesting point.

Prostheses may well have been used, especially to alter his facial contours, but BC is also one of those actors who will gain / lose weight whenever requested to do so for a role.  Since Black Mass is, I believe, based on a true story, he's presumably playing a real person.  So I'm guessing that he did indeed gain weight, and on purpose.  I remember him mentioning one incident during the filming of Sherlock, when he was purposely gaining weight for an upcoming role.  When he was called on-set, he asked Una Stubbs to guard his cake.

I hope he doesn't (sooner or later) come to regret all this gaining and losing.  I've heard that if you repeat that cycle too often, your body will assume there's a famine going on, and will become more efficient in its use of calories -- making it increasingly easy for you to gain weight and increasingly difficult for you to lose it.

LOL, on the bolded...

On the gaining and losing: yeah, it probably has the potential to cause health problems, but BC in particular seems pretty healthy (now vegan/plant-based and of course quit the cigs) and he also seems like he loses weight pretty easily, given what I've read about his foray in The Courier. He also tried to gain for Parade's End, but I don't know that he achieved the look he was ultimately after there (great miniseries though, if you haven't seen it).

Anyway, Black Mass is almost my least fav film he's been in... haven't seen them all yet, but most. I tend to prefer his smaller (less known?) productions like Third Star and Parade's End and his BBC films/TV to the MCU and blockbuster-type stuff though.

Thanks for the welcome!