(non-BBC-Sherlock) Holmes-related Miscellany

Emma Thompson wants to be the first woman to play Sherlock Holmes?  Well, good luck with that.

https://twitter.com/HowardOstrom/status/637018692048580609

Alrighty then. I can't picture that, but I would be willing to see it. If anyone could do it, It would be Emma Thompson or overrated Meryl Streep.

Jesskay!!!!!!!

I'm so used to seeing Sherlock as a young man now that my first thought was, "But she's too old!" :rolleyes: But I think she'd be great in the role, I love Emma Thomson.

• 3 weeks later...

Some new Holmesian stories - new canon fodder for Mofftiss?  Not likely, but it may have some more credence because it comes from one of the Baker Street Babes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1780925980?refRID=ZPPVGJVVTEB4VNV92CZ7&ref_=pd_rhf_pe_s_cp_49

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Moved here from another thread:

I started this thread because I wanted to post a link to this YouTube recording but I didn’t know where would be the best place. So here we have a thread for posting items of interest (well to me anyway

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
It's precisely the sort of thing that belongs in this thread.
  • Like 1

I started this thread because I wanted to post a link to this YouTube recording but I didn’t know where would be the best place. So here we have a thread for posting items of interest (well to me anyway

• Like 1

His grandfather was a (possibly dour) Englishman, the Rev. Mr. Sabine Baring-Gould (who appears in Laurie R. King's Mary Russell novel The Moor), an Anglican clergyman of some note (having written the popular hymn "Onward, Christian Soldiers," among many other works and various pursuits).  I was rather startled to read this on his Wikipedia page:

One grandson, William Stuart Baring-Gould, was a noted Sherlock Holmes scholar who wrote a fictional biography of the great detective—in which, to make up for the lack of information about Holmes's early life, he based his account on the childhood of Sabine Baring-Gould.

This means that the "biography" is a pastiche partly in the sense of an imitative work, but also partly in its other sense, a work made up of bits and pieces of other works -- literally, a "paste job."  Well, at least he didn't borrow Grampa's birthday!

William S. Baring-Gould himself was "creative director of Time magazine's circulation and corporate education departments," so apparently an American, yes.

• Like 1

Discussion of the newly announced Lord of the Rings television series has been moved to the General Tolkien Discussion thread.

P.S.:  It is not necessary to include a quote in each and every post.  If your post isn't a direct response to an earlier post, you can simply type whatever you want to say into the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of the page and then click Post.