Sherlock Scripts

As has been mentioned a few times lately, the actual filming script for "The Blind Banker" is available for download from the BBC website.  Unfortunately, none of the other Sherlock scripts are there, but I believe that a couple more have been made available in print, as part of DVD "collectors' editions."

Does anyone happen to know which episodes those were?  And do you own a copy?  (Beware!  If you admit to having one, we may be hitting you up for quotes and such.)

• Like 2

My collectors' edition had the script for Pink included, if that helps.

• Like 3

OK, that must be what I was thinking of.  I was apparently wrong about there being two, because all that a forum search turns up (other than "Pink") is a couple of actual, autographed shooting scripts given away as prizes -- one for "Hounds" and one for "Last Vow."

By the way, Martina, how is Molly introduced in "Pink" -- is any title or job description mentioned in the stage directions?

• Like 1

I think Carol meant official scripts, not transcribed scripts, which are great but wouldn't have descriptions/directions as written by Mofftiss.

• Like 1

I would love to have Moftiss release the shooting scripts like has been done with Downton Abbey.  In that case, Julian Fellowes has a bunch of footnotes that really give a lot of background information about the show, and I doubt that those took a bunch of time to write.  With a dedicated ghost writer helping, they could easily start releasing books of shooting scripts to fill in the gaps between now and the release of the special, and again to fill the gap before the main part of S4.

• Like 1

If it were the original scripts, wich are usually different than the final product (and therefore really interesting as they give an insight into the creative process), maybe they are reluctant to publish them, because there might be still elements they want to use in the upcoming stories.

The so called "deleted scenes" in the Sherlock Chronicles book are more like deleted dialogue lines and don't give away much.

Martina, can you give us more info about your collector's edition? Like link where to buy it? *thinking about another trip to Vienna to visit Martina's SIP script ;)*

• Like 2

All transcribed scripts are available on line...we do know this, right?!

I think Carol meant official scripts, not transcribed scripts, which are great but wouldn't have descriptions/directions as written by Mofftiss.

Right, I make a careful distinction between the shooting scripts and Ariane DeVere's transcripts.  The latter are a truly awesome resource, but Ms. DeVere has no access to the official scripts.  She works from the aired episodes, and meticulously writes down everything she sees and hears -- but, being only human like us, she may occasionally mis-hear a line of dialog or misinterpret a character's actions.  She cannot speak to the writers' intentions.

... maybe they are reluctant to publish them, because there might be still elements they want to use in the upcoming stories.

That could be true in some cases.  But surely the scripts are in a word-processor file somewhere, so they could easily delete the deleted scenes from our copy, along with any stage directions that might tell us something they don't want us to be sure of just yet.

The fact that they've already put four scripts into the hands of at least one fan would seem to imply that they're not terribly worried about such matters, though.  As with Mr. Cumberbatch's aborted revelation of something about the Holmes family (in the "Great Game" commentary), they can always say that they might use it, they might not, or they might change it.  They seem to be happy enough as long as we don't know for sure.

• Like 1

Yep, I presumed that's what you mean...

I got an original one in one of my collector's sets of dvds,

Okay, okay, I'll go dig it up tomorrow (it's in that Special Edition box and that's somewhere in the DVD heap collection), promise!

J.P., I got it from the BBC shop and I'm afraid it's been long sold out (was some kind of limited edition). And while you're very welcome at our house, of course (I'd advise coming after the current Song Contest hullabaloo has wound down, though :D), if you PM me an address to send it to I'll gladly loan you the script (it's not like it'd have far to travel ;)). After I've checked about Molly for Carol, of course.

• Like 1

Yep, I presumed that's what you mean...

I got an original one in one of my collector's sets of dvds,

Which one -- also "Pink"?

Okay, okay, I'll go dig it up tomorrow (it's in that Special Edition box and that's somewhere in the DVD heap collection), promise!

Found it yet?  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally felt well enough to dig through the heap and then have a tussle with my scanner. Unfortunately, the page didn't scan well since I was reluctant to break the script's spine (it's quite thick):

post-575-0-66159600-1432894491_thumb.jpg

As you can (more or less) see, she's introduced as Miss. Hooper ... dot included.

• Like 3

Any other description at all?  Not "Miss. Hooper, a lab technician," or "Miss. Hooper, a pathologist"?  *sigh*

Keeping their options open and their fans bewildered!

Next to him, Miss. Hooper: lab-coated, clearly works here.

That's all it says, sorry! Though in their defense, iirc Molly wasn't supposed to be a recurring character originally.

• Like 1

Next to him, Miss. Hooper: lab-coated, clearly works here.

That's all it says, sorry! Though in their defense, iirc Molly wasn't supposed to be a recurring character originally.

It's a wonder they bothered to name her beyond just "Molly" since only her first name is used in the episode

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

JP, you are da bomb. :wub:

Now how do we convince them to put up the other seasons? :D

I suspect if they get a lot of traffic on those, they'll consider putting up more.  They've had Blind Banker there for a few years, but the others are apparently brand new.  Gonna download them post haste, just in case they didn't really mean to put them there!

Note to Moftiss (if they're reading this):  I would still buy printed scripts!  (There's just something about a physical book that I can underline and make notes in.)  But thanks for making the first three available online.  :D

• Like 2

Thanks JP! You are a wonder, how on earth did you find that?

Now that's just eerie. I wanted to search on the Emmys site for the TAB script, but couldn't find any place to do so. All I can figure is that a member must have leaked the link. I think the HLV one is a really nice find, though. Not that I've looked at it yet.

Both sources suddenly appeared on my Tumblr timeline, what proves that at least that it has SOME use after all.

Why they appeared now - I have no idea. It seems that they have been around for a while.

The Blind Banker script has been up for five years at least, because I downloaded it back then. But the other two S1 scripts seem to be fairly recent additions, since they're listed as the two newest on the site. (As for the Last Vow script, I have no idea.)