Sherlock's Heart

Arcadia

@Arcadia

Oh and I think John is a romantic too.. but not as much as Sherlock.

Well, okay, I think John is romantic with Sherlock, but I don't think he's a romantic in general. It's not usual for him.. Sherlock seems to be a quirkly little exception. He's too guarded and practical like you said.. a pragmatist! that's the word.

He seems to be a little overwhelmed/awkward with their a-bit-too-close moments ie darkened swimming pool, Sherlock's hands on his head, chinese symbols train tracks, instead of enjoying it or not caring like a romantic would... Sherlock telling him to take his hand, handcuffs, why does that come to mind? Oh right, that's not caring. Sherlock's the romantic, there you go. Or was it actually more practical to hold hands then?

• Like 1

Mycroft resonates with him in a way his parents don't.. His parents are very affectionate, which is a bit at odds with Sherlock's personality.. Mycroft is closer in ideology, therefore easier to relate to.

It appears that Sherlock learned a lot of his behaviors from him, maybe that's why he doesn't respond well to his parents open affection.  

(the part where Sherlock's mom touches his face? http://hiddlesbensmith.tumblr.com/post/112229335215/tomhazeldines-new-blog-used-to-be 

The disgrace! XD)

I think their rivalry is just.. Sherlock trying to catch up with him. Sherlock might have admired Mycroft for his intelligence and detachment. I'd even go as far as to say Sherlock might have idolized him.

I could talk forever about this but in short.. it's usually the person you can't have, that you want to be with the most.  And Mycroft is obviously the most emotionally distant of his family, the one person out of reach, the arch enemy posing a constant intellectual challenge. Sherlock probably became absorbed in the challenge Mycroft presented, instead of the simple, outspoken, background love of his parents.

Why they act like they do now I think is because of their shared "caring is not an advantage" ideology, and perhaps Sherlock despises him a bit.. but it's not really a mystery why.

I guess it's a mystery to me, because my siblings are 7, 9, and 11 years older than me ... and they had very little influence on me, and I certainly didn't idolize them. I'm much more shaped by my parents, my teachers and my contemporaries. In fact, the age difference between me and my siblings pretty much guaranteed that we didn't move in the same orbits growing up; I barely knew them. And my parents would have discouraged any whiff of rivalry, we were expected to support each other, not compete. But that's MY normal; each family is different, of course. But that's why it seems odd to me.

I'm not sure Sherlock despises Mycroft, I think he resents him; and I probably would too, if my older brother had ever treated me the way Mycroft does Sherlock. So bossy! I would've tattled on him to Mummy if he'd ever bossed me around like that, she would have set him straight!!! :P :rofl:

• Like 1

Oh, sorry, John. I forgot. Though I think you can be homoromantic without being homosexual and that's what we're discussing, if that's amenable. Or can you...? idk, if you're the data I would say yes.

John replied, "What you think is completely different from what I think and it is the latter that shaped my behaviour, consciously or not" lol-lupine-emoticon.png "Of course, if I appear to even slightly behaved like a gay then it is Mofftiss doing, they coerced me." :p

@Arcadia

Oh and I think John is a romantic too.. but not as much as Sherlock.

Well, okay, I think John is romantic with Sherlock, but I don't think he's a romantic in general. It's not usual for him.. Sherlock seems to be a quirkly little exception. He's too guarded and practical like you said.. a pragmatist! that's the word.

He seems to be a little overwhelmed/awkward with their a-bit-too-close moments ie darkened swimming pool, Sherlock's hands on his head, chinese symbols train tracks, instead of enjoying it or not caring like a romantic would... Sherlock telling him to take his hand, handcuffs, why does that come to mind? Oh right, that's not caring. Sherlock's the romantic, there you go. Or was it actually more practical to hold hands then?

Oh, sorry, John. I forgot. Though I think you can be homoromantic without being homosexual and that's what we're discussing, if that's amenable. Or can you...? idk, if you're the data I would say yes.

Er ... yes and no. Yes, I agree that John seems more of a romantic about Sherlock than most other things... but who isn't. :smile:

And no, I don't mean romantic as in amorous (or homoromantic -- is that really a word? :blink: ) -- I mean romantic in the older sense: that is, an adventurer, idealist, someone chivalrous. (Sherlock would scoff!) If Sherlock is a dragon-slayer, John is his brother-in-arms, and I think that's what he romanticizes; their mission, their service to society, their derring do. (Sherlock would scoff again!)

• Like 1

Well, you can imagine, a figure like your friends or teachers, who you saw every day, who shaped you as a person. 

I spent a lot of time with my brother 8 years my junior. Not because I particularly liked him but because.. well ..who else was going to take care of him? Both parents were working and too old for the kind of crap he pulled.

Most definitely resents him.. maybe Mycroft refused to give him ice cream when he was seven and Sherlock never forgave him. No? well, in all seriousness, Sherlock acts very petty and defensive around Mycroft... Moftiss described it as girly or something.. I think they have drama.

Oh I see. I kind of lump it all together. Romanticism/sentimentality and Rationalism. But my definition of romantic is vague and confusing because I apply it to everything. 

And no. Homoromantic is not a word. I made it up to confuse you.

@John Yes John. Whatever you say John. I believe you. Really, I do.

Especially since you just called yourself homosexual. Either you've taken truth serum or you've attached yourself to one of those monkey translators. 

Poor John, he can't win for losing! :D

Tsk tsk, don't try to openly say that an ISFJ's assumption of themselves is wrong, they will rebel quietly and you will look like a berk for attacking one of the most gentlest people exist (at least that what my bestie will do) :p

I think Mycroft's implication is that Sherlock is a romantic at heart. Not necessarily the relationship type of romantic, but the type that sees himself swashbuckling his way across violent seas, fighting the good fight regardless of legalities, taking on adventure whenever it comes his way, but living life somewhat outside the established social structure.

Wasn't it Steven Moffat who said that Sherlock has "the heart of a poet ", as opposed to Mycroft? I like that... The heart of a poet. He is a romantic figure in that sense, I guess.

• Like 2

I have siblings around my age and can really see why Sherlock is more influenced by Mycroft than his parents.

One thing, it must be a big challenge to take care of two genius kids. Eventhough mummy Holmes ia a mathematician, she might not have the level of genius and I can imagine it's going to be constant struggle to answer their questions, explaining things, impress and distract them. It would be the hell of effort and I think that eventhough both of them ended up as odd as they are, the parent did a great outstanding job with one proven result: the boys are on the side of angel.

Imagine the catathrophic mass destruction that both Holmes brother could create if they are not.

Another thing why a kid tend to be closer and 'immitate' the sibling is because they relate more to them. Sharing the same situation; school life, childhood, imaginary game, insider joke, and it's very common that siblings bond with common enemy: their parents.

It's confirmed further when they were both introduced with concept of other 'friends' and to their nightmare, those little creatures running around were pretty much very dull and so easily impressed with colorful stuffs with unnecessary excitements and couldn't deduce as simple thing as Principal Skinner had omelet for breakfast.

This would further strengthen the connection of similarity in both brothers.

While I assume Sherlock has very normal heart situation, it's different with Mycroft. He had recognized since very young that sentiment is disadvantage. He is the real Ice Man.

One possibility is that he was very detached with Redbeard since the beginning and saw how it affected his brother, or he was as broken-hearted as Sherlock but he disguised himself much better, as the same time probably trying to understand how it effected Sherlock. (You are always stronger when someone relies on you). He witnessed how sentiment destroyed his brother and despised it for that.

I think and will always say that Mycroft loves his little brother a lot, much more, in his own way. And he always tries to protect Sherlock from repeating the same mistake.

With Redbeard, Sherlock tried to take the same approach with Mycroft. He became detached with sentiment, understand that but don't want to become part of that, creating iceberg that question the existence of heart and sympathy. He views feelings as outsider, so much so that he doesn't understand when sentiment happens to him.

At least that what we see in SIB, what is this funny feeling, pain and throbing inside? There is something bothering me so much that all the music I create sound the same.

He only understand it well when there were scientific proves; dillated pupils, pulse counts.

Or when someone like John and Molly constantly telling and showing him in a way that make him believe them.

• Like 3

Well, like I said, all families are different. I sure hope we get to learn more about Sherlock's; something has to explain why he is the way he is (or I'll burst!)

• Like 3

I'm a bit late to this thread, and what I have to say isn't really anything that hasn't already been said, but I've always interpreted Mycroft's line as a dig at Sherlock's chosen profession.  And even though Mycroft is asking John a question and claims that he doesn't know the answer either, I think Mycroft must in fact know the answer to his own question.  I've always thought that in Mycroft's mind being a scientist or philosopher would be professions worthy of Sherlock's intellect.  And yet, Sherlock has chosen to be a detective.  Being a detective must seem rather plebeian to Mycroft.  I mean, just look at Lestrade;  he's a detective.

But I have to think that Mycroft understands why Sherlock has taken the path he has.  Mycroft himself later calls Sherlock a dragon slayer, or actually tells Sherlock that he (Sherlock) sees himself as a dragon slayer, but either way I think that's an accurate assessment of Sherlock.  And the fact that Mycroft mentions that initially Sherlock wanted to be a pirate, like others have said, the idea of being a pirate is a very romantic notion.  

Stuff like this makes me feel bad for Sherlock.  As much as I adore Mycroft, I feel bad for Sherlock in that he seemingly disappoints his older brother in so many ways (profession, drug use).  To some extent, I wish that Mycroft could just accept Sherlock for who he is (drug use aside), rather than trying to mold him into some mini-Mycroft.  In the end, I think as well-intentioned as Mycroft may have been, I think he's only done more harm than good.

• Like 3

I would actually like to look inside Mycroft's head for a minute or five...

That would be interesting and possibly dangerous. We are talking about a Holmes boy after all.

I'm a bit late to this thread, and what I have to say isn't really anything that hasn't already been said, but I've always interpreted Mycroft's line as a dig at Sherlock's chosen profession. And even though Mycroft is asking John a question and claims that he doesn't know the answer either, I think Mycroft must in fact know the answer to his own question. I've always thought that in Mycroft's mind being a scientist or philosopher would be professions worthy of Sherlock's intellect. And yet, Sherlock has chosen to be a detective. Being a detective must seem rather plebeian to Mycroft. I mean, just look at Lestrade; he's a detective.

I can't help but think that attitude has rubbed off on Sherlock a bit. E.g., there's the scene in HLV where Sherlock says scoffingly "What utility do I have?" like he's become all too aware what a pointless thing it is to be a detective. (Ironically, it's Mycroft who tries to buck him up at that point: "Here be dragons." Ah, Mycroft, if you could just drop the mocking tone ... but that might reveal YOUR heart, eh?)

I would actually like to look inside Mycroft's head for a minute or five...

That would be interesting and possibly dangerous. We are talking about a Holmes boy after all.

Yike. I'd be afraid I'd end up like the Cate Blanchett character in that Indiana Jones movie .... the knowledge would explode my brain.

I often find myself actually envying Mycroft, not for being the British government, but for his consequent detachment. I can see why this could seem so attractive to Sherlock.

Whereas I often find myself actually wanting to smack Mycroft upside the head with a rolled up newspaper. :P

I'm a bit late to this thread, and what I have to say isn't really anything that hasn't already been said, but I've always interpreted Mycroft's line as a dig at Sherlock's chosen profession. And even though Mycroft is asking John a question and claims that he doesn't know the answer either, I think Mycroft must in fact know the answer to his own question. I've always thought that in Mycroft's mind being a scientist or philosopher would be professions worthy of Sherlock's intellect. And yet, Sherlock has chosen to be a detective. Being a detective must seem rather plebeian to Mycroft. I mean, just look at Lestrade; he's a detective.

I can't help but think that attitude has rubbed off on Sherlock a bit. E.g., there's the scene in HLV where Sherlock says scoffingly "What utility do I have?" like he's become all too aware what a pointless thing it is to be a detective. (Ironically, it's Mycroft who tries to buck him up at that point: "Here be dragons." Ah, Mycroft, if you could just drop the mocking tone ... but that might reveal YOUR heart, eh?)

You're not helping my overly emotional state today.  lol

I really just want to give poor Sherlock a hug right now.

• Like 1

Sowwy! Here's a hug you can give him. No charge. :hugz:

• Like 1

Oh, and I would really LOVE to see someone giving Mycroft a hug, along with a smack on the cheek. hug-2.gif I volunteer, just to see the reaction. yes.gif

I will make sure to record the whole thing nod-skype-smiley.gif

Sadly, dear J.P., despite your Platinum splash and getting so close to them, in contrast to Sarina and me being in the hoi polloi, you did not give Mr Gatiss a hug, even for being the greater Sherlock fan of the celebrated pair! As in Diamonds are Forever: "You had your chance, curly, and you lost it"!

Somehow Mr. Gatiss doesn't strike me as the type that would mind a hug! Mycroft, on the other hand ... :lol2:

• Like 3