Undead Medic

Episode 1.2, "The Blind Banker"

What Did You Think Of "THe Blind Banker?"  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

• 10/10 Excellent.
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

Yep, when I get to the Reichenbach thread ... but then I'm not sure I'll get to that in time before I see the resolution.  Actually, I'll probably hear about it before I see it, because it'll air in the UK before over here.  Not sure I like that part of it.

Sherlock is a phenomenon that belongs its self. But it sure is driving this fandom for sure.

• Like 1

But it belongs to us!

:P Yeah, I get that, but you know what I mean ...  ;)

How's that?  Out of town?  Still, you'll get it before I do.  :)

I agree with the general consensus that this is one of the weaker episodes (if not the weakest).  I loved Study in Pink so much (it's still my favorite episode) that anything that came after it was bound to be a bit of a come-down, but even with that in mind this one still disappointed.  All the Chinese gang stuff got positively cheesy.

BUT having just re-watched it, I will say this:  For those of us who love The Coat, this episode is a great gift.  There is so much swirling and twirling and flourishing and so many full-length shots of Sherlock in his Belstaff.  I feel like whoever directed it truly appreciated the wonder that is The Coat, and for that this episode will always occupy a soft spot in my heart.  :)

I just rewatched this preparing for the US release of Sherlock (and trying to get my husband into the series!).  A lot of what bothered me has already been mentioned, but there are a couple of things that stood out that I haven't seen yet....

Even if Sarah couldn't tip over her chair because she's scared or in shock, what about Sherlock?  He knows he has very limited time, why didn't he tip her over when he first got to her?  Or kick it over when fighting with the assassin?  And for that matter, John hit the assassin in the chest with the arrow.  It could have been Sherlock.  They were grappling after all, and kicking a hair trigger massive crossbow isn't exactly accurate.  A little less leg power and we wouldn't have a series.

When Sherlock makes his deduction about the correct book to use, he does it right outside the flat on Baker Street.  He comes out, tries to get a taxi but ran into the German couple, walked a little ways down the block, realizes what book it has to be, then runs back and takes their book.  So how does he NOT NOTICE John and Sarah being kidnapped when he's probably only 10 meters away?  I get that he is wrapped up in the book and his back was turned, but he was right there!  This is a person who notices everything!  And wouldn't the Black Lotus kidnappers see him standing there and whack him over the head and bring him along?  Sure they thought Watson was Sherlock, but they knew they were running around together and Sherlock was the one snooping back stage and fighting with them, as well as being in Soo Lin's apartment.

• Like 1

Picky, picky!  ;)  Both excellent points, unfortunately.

Hello, mnfe -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:  Thanks for jumping right in with a meaty post!

What part of the US are you in?

Picky, picky!  ;)  Both excellent points, unfortunately.

Hello, mnfe -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:  Thanks for jumping right in with a meaty post!

What part of the US are you in?

Thank you!  I just found the show around Christmas time when I got access to Amazon Prime.  It's a show I've been wanting to watch and finally could.  I watched all of the episodes in about a week, and finished up just in time for the UK Season 3 premiere.  Which I then watched online. :)  And I needed to find a place to talk to like minded folks.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest part of the US.

Well welcome to the Sherlock addicts self-help group then! :wave: Er, I mean forum :).

• Like 2

Well welcome to the Sherlock addicts self-help group then! :wave: Er, I mean forum :).

I second that!

I'm in the Pacific Northwest part of the US.

Oh, good -- 'bout time we had some West Coasters!  (At least I think you're the first one who's actually told us they were from that area.)

When Sherlock makes his deduction about the correct book to use, he does it right outside the flat on Baker Street.  He comes out, tries to get a taxi but ran into the German couple, walked a little ways down the block, realizes what book it has to be, then runs back and takes their book.  So how does he NOT NOTICE John and Sarah being kidnapped when he's probably only 10 meters away?  I get that he is wrapped up in the book and his back was turned, but he was right there!  This is a person who notices everything!  And wouldn't the Black Lotus kidnappers see him standing there and whack him over the head and bring him along?  Sure they thought Watson was Sherlock, but they knew they were running around together and Sherlock was the one snooping back stage and fighting with them, as well as being in Soo Lin's apartment.

I've noticed that, too. Everytime I see it I want to shout at Sherlock that he's an idiot because they're kidnapping John right under his nose. Maybe he was too focused on the cypher that he became blind and deaf to everything else :D

Good episode. Some memorable bits including John fighting with the chip-and-pin device in Tesco and getting into a tizzy while shouting at Sherlock through the letter box.

• Like 1

Yes, John's impression of Sherlock ("no one else can compete with my massive intellect!") is just brilliant.

I wonder what Soo-Lin was telling her brother just before he killed her. To me, it seems like an absolution - she knows he will kill her, but she still loves him, because he's her brother.

I'm just watching the scene now where Sherlock and John look through the books, and funny enough I want to tell John to hurry up :D He's not working nearly as quickly as Sherlock. It's so great how Sherlock doesn't hurry John, though, and equally how John doesn't tell Sherlock off for messing up his system. They each let each other work as they do.

It's also great to see Sherlock comfort Sarah while he's untying her ropes, saying "it's okay, you're alright..." Quite lovely, that. :)

But except from that moment, Sherlock is really demanding here, and without understanding of John's relationship with Sarah, so no wonder that in TSoT he calls himself a 'ridiculous man'. All he cares about is the work (well, not entirely true now, is it? But it used to come before everything else).

I think the pool scene in TGG has more meaning for me after having watched TBB again, because Sherlock is actually largely a pain in the neck (in a very entertaining way). What John does in trying to save Sherlock from Moriarty is naturally very moving for Sherlock, who probably deep down knows that John has little reason to be so devoted to him.

• Like 1

I wonder what Soo-Lin was telling her brother just before he killed her. To me, it seems like an absolution - she knows he will kill her, but she still loves him, because he's her brother.

Here's that bit from Ariane DeVere's transcript:

Soo Lin crawls to the edge of the table and peers over the top of it before slowly standing up. Behind her, a Chinese man a little older than her silently walks up and stops just behind her, staring at her intently. As if sensing him, she turns slowly around, and then gazes at him with affection as she recognises him. She softly greets him by name.)

SOO LIN: 亮 [Liang.]

(She hesitates for a moment.)

SOO LIN: 大哥 [big brother.]

(She reaches out and cups his face with her hand.)

SOO LIN: 请你 [Please ...]

I agree about her tone of voice, even though the words don't say that.  She clearly loves him, which makes his murdering her all the worse (from my PoV -- he presumably thinks it's for the greater good).

• Like 1

Thanks, Carol!

She's begging him not to kill her!

Yes, what he does is unbelievably horrible and cold.

I thought it was quite sweet how Sherlock comforted Sarah.

• Like 1

Well, THAT was tedious. :) One of our local PBS stations is re-broadcasting Sherlock (yay!) but they're showing edited versions (boo!) I didn't notice the edits so much in ASiP but they were jarring in TBB (which is what aired tonight, of course.)

The oddest change was in the scene where John says he's getting an "ASBO" ... in tonight's version, he says he's getting "community service" (or something American-ish like that)... and his lip movements match the words he's saying. It looks like they reshot that scene just for us Americans! I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted. :D Either way, very unsettling, I think I'll go watch a Sherlock DVD now until I recover.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness!  The PBS broadcasts were my first exposure to Series 1, but we very quickly bought the DVD (which has the original British episodes, even though it's the Region 1 package), so I didn't realize there were differences until Series 2, when we watched PBS after having nearly memorized the Region 2 DVD -- but I believe that all those differences consisted of simple cuts.  (And of course for Series 3, they broadcast the uncut 90 minutes.)

I had no idea that they had actually filmed some scenes twice for Series 1!  Guess they figured we'd be scarred for life if we had to figure out what an ASBO is (though it seemed clear enough from context that it was some sort of non-incarcertation-type punishment).  Do you recall any of their other changes?

I would love to have copies of the Series 1 and 2 PBS broadcasts, to watch when I'm in the mood for a game of Spot the Differences!

I had no idea that they had actually filmed some scenes twice for Series 1!  Guess they figured we'd be scarred for life if we had to figure out what an ASBO is (though it seemed clear enough from context that it was some sort of non-incarcertation-type punishment).  Do you recall any of their other changes?

I didn't notice any other changes in the dialogue, just cuts. (The whole scene with Sherlock spinning John around is gone, e.g.) :( And I think in a couple places the music track was different, but I'm not sure.

Maybe a little computer gimmickry was used? It sure looked natural, though.