Andrew Scott News

J.P.

I'm not sure why I'm liking that, it's not going to do ME any good...... :wacko: 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why I'm liking that, it's not going to do ME any good...... :wacko: 

I liked it as well knowing full well it was not for us US folks (unless we hop a plane across the pond).
  • Like 1

Probably not gonna be on BBC America, huh?  (Their schedule being too full with Top Gear and Star Trek: Next Gen.)

• Tongue 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I found out that Season 5 of Black Mirror, one of my favorite TV shows, is going to air in June.

With it, I found out that... Andrew Scott will be in it! Wohoo! Can't wait!

• Like 1

I just found out that Black Mirror is supposedly inspired by an old favorite of mine … The Twilight Zone. Now I'm wondering if I can afford a Netflix subscription...……...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update,

Anyway, I binged season 5 in .. one night continuous watch.

It's actually not advisable to binge BM at all. It's emotional exhausting, although in season 5, it feels quite alright. Well, compared to me binging all 4 seasons in a week.

Andrew Scott was really good in Smithereen, the second episode. He carried the whole episode, for the half of it I really forgot that he is Jim Moriarty or Andrew. It was powerful, emotional, and made me feel for him I even shed an ugly tears and I don't normally do that watching human movie. which makes it my favourite episode of season 5. Overall, this is not the strongest season but it's still good for me.

Unsolicited advices before you watch Black Mirror:

- do not read spoilers. No no no NO! That is seriously big part of the enjoyment. Please remember my constipated face any time you are tempted to read spoiler! 😠

- If you find coincidences of BM episodes with reality, BM did it first. It's weird and what makes it more awesome. Example National Anthem, The Waldo Moment, Nosedive.

- Each episode of BM is a stand-alone story. You don't need to watch them in sequence. There are Easter eggs here and there but that is all the connections that they have. They are all different, sometimes the concept is familiar but it's used to tell different stories. Having said that, the first episode is really really weird so be prepared if you start from that one. You might hate it. It left me dumbfounded but I was so intrigued that I hovered my hand to click on the next one after I recovered.

- It is mostly about technology and how it impacts people's life, in its intended ways or not.

Anyway, eventually viewers seem to have certain expectation when they watch a BM episode. For example, some always expect weird technology, which imo, it's not what the show is. I'd say don't let it ruin your enjoyment and form your own take for the series. The greatest thing about BM to me; it keeps me thinking. I have millions of questions and what-ifs for every episode. It fascinates me beyond hours of the actual show content, and that is, what I'd say a great show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One piece of forgotten information that is probably related to Sherlock Holmes (not).

Robert Downey Jr (well he played Sherlock :P)  bought the right of black mirror episode (The Entire History of You, not my favorite, but apparently favorite of many) with a plan to turn it into a movie. Not sure how the development though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2021 at 3:48 PM, J.P. said:

Random observation of the week:

I've noticed that quite a few actors (and musicians) also draw. But I don't know any "draw-ers" who also act.  I do know a couple who are also musicians, though.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I've noticed that quite a few actors (and musicians) also draw. But I don't know any "draw-ers" who also act.  I do know a couple who are also musicians, though.

Of course, being a draw-er yourself, you know a lot of others.  I've known a few, though.  Lemme see, I can think of five.  All of them but one sometimes made a living in art-related fields:  Two as high-school art teachers, one as a technical illustrator, and one as an illustrator for department-store ads.  The other one was a librarian who was also into what's now called cosplay, which is about as close as I'm aware of any of them getting to acting.  All of them also did drawing and such for fun, very good cartoons, fan art, etc.  At any rate, like you, I'm not aware that any of them acted on the side.

I've only known one actor that I can think of, and I've never heard him talk about either drawing or music.

I have known several computer programmers who were musicians at heart, if that helps any.  Or maybe they were musicians who merely earned a living as computer programmers.

I know a lot of people who are (or were) into both computers and art. And by "into" computers I mean things like coding, not just data entry or facebooking or such. I guess there is, or was, a creative aspect to it. I really enjoyed using html to make my first website, for example. Nowadays everything's just templates, which is faster but not as creative.

I would compare writing computer programs to writing in English.  Both use a language, both require precision in order to be understood, and both can benefit greatly from ingenuity.  And if you're programming in Forth, you can even make up new words!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I would compare writing computer programs to writing in English.

I wish I felt that way about it.  For me it was more like math, if math were in an alien language, and I couldn’t get my head around it.

It’s grown quite a bit more complex in recent years, too.  I took a comp sci course in college and did pretty okay, my professor even said I had an affinity for it.  I took courses again a few years ago in hopes of breaking into a tech career (for the monies), and it made my head spin.  I was still relatively okay with HTML and CSS, and very basic SQL, but nothing else made sense.

54 minutes ago, Artemis said:

It’s grown quite a bit more complex in recent years

Then perhaps I'm lucky to be a retired software engineer!  I spent virtually my entire career writing in assembly language and Forth, so I was able to focus on what the software was supposed to do, rather than how the heck to phrase it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Think i mentioned this elsewhere, but I will put my fairly spoiler free review here.

I saw All of us Strangers, last night.

The expected Andrew Scott masterclass.

But all of the performances were excellent and the casting made sense to the story.

Beautifully written, shot and edited.

The clever use of genre, allowed some objectivity.

It will trigger some, but provide lovely memories for others.

Desperately sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Very sad indeed, and apparently quite unexpected, according to Metro and other sources.  Even though that article leads with a picture of her famous son, there's a lovely photo of Nora Boyle Scott further down.

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew has just become the fitst to win both film and theatre critics awards, in the same year,

I am absolutely thrilled for him.

It is so well deserved.

But I bet he cried...

his Mum would have loved to have seen this. x

• Like 2
  • Sad 1