What *really* happened in Karachi?

Carol the Dabbler

Sorry, J.P. but he had her camera-phone from about six months, right up to Christmas, just like the Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. she sent him the phone on Christmas Eve and appeared in the flat between New Year ( his only message to her, and early January) and early January, as for the foliage, listen to the commentary!

Sorry, J.P. but he had her camera-phone from about six months, right up to Christmas,

Do you mean the phone which was in Sherlock's coat? This was his own phone. Irene took her phone back drugging and beating him in her flat.

She sent it to Sherlock at Christmas Eve. The morgue scene happened on the same day probably, or a day later, as it is still Christmas. The meeting at the Power Station and the agents' visit at 221B happens some time after Christmas, Sherlock sends a New Year SMS to Irene's regular phone.

As for the foliage - I know about the greenery. But this shot of Bart's is unusual, normally the building is shown from the other side, with the name prominently visible on it's wall.

They decided to show the building and a big tree. IMO they would choose the other option, if it was meant to be winter.

QJUG5D.jpg

From Ariane DeVere transcript:

Some time later Mycroft has brought Irene and Sherlock to his residence/office. (....) Mycroft points down at the camera phone which is lying on the table in front of him. There is no aggression or threat in his voice as he speaks to Irene.

MYCROFT: We have people who can get into this.

IRENE: I tested that theory for you. I let Sherlock Holmes try it for six months.

(Sherlock closes his eyes briefly, grimacing slightly.)

IRENE: Sherlock, dear, tell him what you found when you X-rayed my camera phone...

Nope, we're somewhere in London. So that means the Karachi thing happened sometime after June 24th. By how long is the mystery part.

(There, now somewhat back on track ;) )

Exactly! She says that she had left her phone with him for six months, from Christmas Eve to June, he discovers she's not dead between Christmas and New Year's Eve, whereupon he sends her the only message on his part, and the whole thing with the CIA agents and on from finding her sleeping in his bed to the Jumbo Jet scene, to Mycroft's palatial mansion takes place inside a day and a half in June, but see the fire in the hearth behind Mycroft. She let him have the camera phone for six months, she says, but she is as believable as the scriptwriter!

If I were to be fascinated by something, instead of Karachi I think I'd prefer to imagine what each different time that Sherlock threw the CIA agent out of the window looked like.

(Okay, it's possible that his quip about losing count to Lestrade was just the drama queen in him coming out, and maybe it was only one time. But I do so relish the idea that Sherlock really did drag that agent up the stairs multiple times just to drop him on Mrs. Hudson's bins. There's something about the zeal with which he applied the riding crop in A Study in Pink that makes me believe he'd actually do it....)

Round 1: On the bins.

Round 2: On the bins.

Round 3: Straight through the awning over Speedy's, perhaps? (Compensation to owner follows...)

Round 4: Aim for the street...blast it, angle was off, he landed on a pedestrian. Sorry about that!

I will make you brownies if you turn this into a fan fic.   :)

Tausend dank! Thank you!!

I love brownies, and it is tempting, but I am afraid I am on the patch. I spent several years writing Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan fiction, and then had kids and had no more time for it. But perhaps I could offer it as a challenge to those who do write fic?

• Like 1

If I were to be fascinated by something, instead of Karachi I think I'd prefer to imagine what each different time that Sherlock threw the CIA agent out of the window looked like.

(Okay, it's possible that his quip about losing count to Lestrade was just the drama queen in him coming out, and maybe it was only one time. But I do so relish the idea that Sherlock really did drag that agent up the stairs multiple times just to drop him on Mrs. Hudson's bins. There's something about the zeal with which he applied the riding crop in A Study in Pink that makes me believe he'd actually do it....)

Round 1: On the bins.

Round 2: On the bins.

Round 3: Straight through the awning over Speedy's, perhaps? (Compensation to owner follows...)

Round 4: Aim for the street...blast it, angle was off, he landed on a pedestrian. Sorry about that!

I will make you brownies if you turn this into a fan fic.   :)

Tausend dank! Thank you!!

I love brownies, and it is tempting, but I am afraid I am on the patch. I spent several years writing Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan fiction, and then had kids and had no more time for it. But perhaps I could offer it as a challenge to those who do write fic?

I think I came up with an idea for it.  Will post link when I get it done.  (and no I don't need brownies.  Just got done finishing off the ice cream from my son's birthday party.)

• Like 2

I think I came up with an idea for it.  Will post link when I get it done.  (and no I don't need brownies.  Just got done finishing off the ice cream from my son's birthday party.)

Yeah!   :D

• 4 weeks later...

I copied this from the TEH thread:

J.P., on 18 Jul 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:
Waitaminute, what if the information about Irene's beheading was a lie Mycroft used deliberately to test John? Mycroft might have known that Sherlock intervened in Karachi, it was not about telling Sherlock, but about John's ability to lie. Sherlock was the one who was to judge John in that matter, it is possible that he knew what Mycroft had told John at Speedy's.
Does that make sense?

Arcadia:
It does to me, although if that's the case, they didn't go anywhere with it. Except to demonstrate to the audience that John's a lousy liar, I guess. But if that was the intent, they didn't really connect the dots, imo. If we have to ascribe hidden motives to Mycroft, think it's more likely that he was fishing to find out what John knew. But the way the scene plays out, I'm inclined to take the whole thing at face value until I find out otherwise.

I might be wrong, because the dots are not connected clearly. This is just a mental exercise.

The whole Bond Air disaster shows how dangerous Moriarty is. So it is possible that at the moment when Mycroft gives Irene's file to John, the elaborate Reichenbach plan is already forged. The only question left was, if they can tell John the truth.

There was no reason for Mycroft to come over. He might have been concerned about his brother, but why leaving the decision to John? It's a bit unusual, knowing Mycroft. (Also his being nice to John in TRF seems to be a part of the plot.)

So you can see it as a test both brothers invented: Sherlock knows about Karachi, he was there, and Mycroft knows that too. He simply gives John two lies and makes him believe in one of them. And it doesn't need a Sherlock to see that John is absolutely not able to lie, and that he is also very prone to give in under pressure (he gives Sherlock the camera-phone). So the verdict was negative and John unfortunately was left in darkness about the suicide.

• Like 3

Plausible! :applause:

Poor John. No matter how you slice it, it still comes up that Sherlock didn't trust him with his secret. Ouchie. Personally, I think John would rather die than give anything away that might harm Sherlock; but he's never given the chance to prove himself.

Maybe. I'm sure he must have thought about that during the time Sherlock was "dead" -- if he'd been good enough, maybe he'd have been able to save his friend.

Personally, though, I think mostly what he was feeling in TEH was a sense of betrayal. He was so loyal to Sherlock (so quickly!) and it wasn't returned in a way that he understood.

• Like 2

Personally, though, I think mostly what he was feeling in TEH was a sense of betrayal. He was so loyal to Sherlock (so quickly!) and it wasn't returned in a way that he understood.

I think this one hits an bull-eye.

Similarly when he expects Sherlock to behave like a hero he is in TGG, and Sherlock crushes his expectation. (He doesn't really understand Sherlock, does he?)

• Like 1

I can empathize with John ... I don't really understand Sherlock either! :D

I think the lying test was devised to show Sherlock that John cannot lie convincingly and prone to cave in when something is framed with 'for Sherlock's sake'. Probably the two brothers had an argument beforehand about to bring John into the secret or not.

• Like 1

Dear ShadowDweller, my thoughts exactly! If we take it as a given that Sherlock has been inducted in MI training at some point in his life by Mycroft, probably after having been forced to give up his drug experiments, then he knows that the good doctor isn't capable of lying convincingly for as long as it might take him to go after Moriarty, so he keeps him out of the loop intentionally, though it seems like it's breaking his heart ( the one he says he doesn't have in TGG) to leave his best friend behind as he phones him from the rooftop and cannot contain his emotions! (Caring a disadvantage?)

Besides, he more or less tells Dr Watson exactly that, in TEH, that he wanted to communicate with him but was afraid the other would let something slip, "let the cat out of the bag".

• Like 1