Help me become Sherlock-ISH for a play

Joanhs

I jsut got a role as a police-detective in a play called "dial M for Murder". It really suits the character to be like Sherlock, and since I'm a female, I can do whatever I want, because the role is normally a guy, so I have to make a female-sherlock. (I snare at everyone who says I should be a girl-lestrade)

So, I have thought about getting lightly curls, maybe die my hair black again. I have also thought about a lillac shirt, and some hand gestures. But what would you do?

It's a big character, lots of lines, so I can do all sorts of stuff, like, when I'm asking people about random stuff what should I do. I even have to fake interest in some love-story!

You can see the movie here if you want to, it's a Hitchcock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUyEr21Cs1M

Hehe, here is my other obsession coming handy. :) There is another movie based on "Dial M for Murder" - it's "Perfect Murder" with Gwyneth Paltrow, Michael Douglas and Viggo Mortensen. Not that it will be particularly helpful with becoming Sherlock, but you may have a look at the detective there.

Be expressive with the subtle facial and eye movement. A nice coat and scarf? If you are going for a female Holmes there are some Cosplay vids on Youtube. If you have time do some setting down and watching Jeremy Brett and Cumberbatch episodes playing rapt attention to both their mannerisms as Holmes.

Are you aiming at being a female generic-Holmes or a female Cumberbatch-as-Sherlock?

It seems to me that in the former case, you'd want to go more for attitude and gestures, while in the latter case you might want to emphasize things like hairstyle and clothing.

Are you aiming at being a female generic-Holmes or a female Cumberbatch-as-Sherlock?

It seems to me that in the former case, you'd want to go more for attitude and gestures, while in the latter case you might want to emphasize things like hairstyle and clothing.

I think it's a mix.. I want to have visible nicotin-patches (have to research if there is any harm since I'm not a smoker).

Other than that, yes I have made a pinterrest board about it :D https://www.pinterest.com/hyldskov/dial-m-for-murder/

But yes, hand-gestures. He really likes to point a lot. I also love how the old Sherlock versions, they can really ask questions without making it sound like they know who the criminal is. I like that.

• Like 1

Both styles of nicotine patch shown in the two versions of "Study in Pink" looked a whole lot like regular adhesive bandages (or sticking plasters, if you speak British English).  So you could simply use large adhesive bandages, applied to areas appropriate for nicotine patches.  Safer and cheaper!

Jeremy Brett was the master of the wordless question, wasn't he?

• Like 1

Damn. My director told me he wanted more like Colombus.. Not having any of that :P We just had a read-through, and all agreed I can make it much more Sherlock-ish. There is a place where the character actually smiles at something thats not actually propriate to smile about. I love that..

• Like 3

Benedict's Sherlock behaved like a hotshot sleuth and God's gift to the Met. What exactly your director means with 'more like Columbo', attitude?

Columbo was shabby and disarmed his opponents with feigned confusion and absentmindedness. It was a classic case of playing the fool to outwit villains who thought they were clever.

Sherlock is sartorially proper, even when wearing a sheet. His distractedness never comes across as absentminded -- it's more the savant whose brain chases after stray clues like a dog after a squirrel. Sometimes he loses sight of the trivia around him.

It sounds like your director wants you to play the sleuth who outwits the murderer by concealing her smarts beneath a facade. If there's any way to slip some Sherlock in there, it might be through clipped speech (Sherlock's efficiency). 

What good luck for you, though! To inject some Sherlock into your character, you might just have to spend extra time watching Sherlock reruns to study the acting. I can think of far worse chores to have to do...

• 4 weeks later...

Columbo was shabby and disarmed his opponents with feigned confusion and absentmindedness. It was a classic case of playing the fool to outwit villains who thought they were clever.

Sherlock is sartorially proper, even when wearing a sheet. His distractedness never comes across as absentminded -- it's more the savant whose brain chases after stray clues like a dog after a squirrel. Sometimes he loses sight of the trivia around him.

It sounds like your director wants you to play the sleuth who outwits the murderer by concealing her smarts beneath a facade. If there's any way to slip some Sherlock in there, it might be through clipped speech (Sherlock's efficiency). 

What good luck for you, though! To inject some Sherlock into your character, you might just have to spend extra time watching Sherlock reruns to study the acting. I can think of far worse chores to have to do...

What you said about Columbo is exactly what my director just told me to do, and it actually worked. Playing a little dumb and slow.. I'm allowed to have some Sherlock temper - and tempo - and gesture when the plot is being revealed and stuff, and I'm still allowed a purple shirt ;) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My director just changed it all back to what I originally wanted - more Sherlock :D

It just wasn't working, it was simply to slow, to naive, and to dumb, and the lines weren't like that at all! Then my director was like "You can look satisfied when you say this and that, and sound more suspicious" and then I just looked and said "aha.. More Sherlock?" and my director just sat there, silent, and nodded his head...

• Like 2