Sherlock (the BBC character)

sittything

Yes, but ... y'know, he's really too generically good looking for my taste. I actually prefer the less-than-perfect components he's made from, they're all much more interesting to look at. Especially Rathbone; he made such an impression on me when I was a kid. He was one of the first actors I learned to recognize, and was always a favorite, in no small part because he was so distinctive looking.

• Like 2

... he's really too generically good looking for my taste. I actually prefer the less-than-perfect components he's made from, they're all much more interesting....

I'm with you on that. I cringe when I hear someone criticize their own face, especially actors, because I'd hate to see them "fix" the "problem," thereby making themselves look just like everyone else. I much prefer the quirky bits.

For example, Martin Freeman seems to think his nose is "too big," but I think that its curves complement the rest of his face perfectly. He's not average looking, of course, but then what successful actor would want to throw away his hard-won recognizability?

• Like 1

Really! I think he has a perfectly acceptable nose. Mine, on the other hand..... :smile:

Wow. I mostly see Brett and Rathbone.

That was kind of my thought as well.

Good lookin' dude, isn't he?

Quite dashing indeed.

Martin Freeman seems to think his nose is "too big," but I think that its curves complement the rest of his face perfectly.

Really! I think he has a perfectly acceptable nose. Mine, on the other hand..... :smile:

Seems like everybody's most critical of their own appearance. But, except in cases of injury or actual malformation, I think most people's faces sort of go together. So if they try to "fix" one thing, they effectively put everything out of kilter.

• Like 1

Like when Jennifer Grey had a nose job and was classically better looking but lost the uniqueness that made her appealing. I kind of agree with Martin on his nose, but then I can't imagine him with a smaller nose. Personally I need more of a chin :D

• Like 1

Like when Jennifer Grey had a nose job and was classically better looking but lost the uniqueness that made her appealing.

Exactly!

Personally I need more of a chin :D

Carol Burnett had apparently felt the same way, and eventually had cosmetic surgery. She does look more average now, and I've heard she's pleased with the results. But she sure looks a heck of a lot less like Carol Burnett! So be careful what you wish for.

I don't see any flaw or anything need improvement from Martin.

That combination Sherlock doesn't work for me. He doesn't look like Sherlock. Uh. NO. Too pretty and..ordinary. He looks boring. :p

Hmmm... I am curious. Is it look like pineapple, or Rudolph's or.. staircase or..?

Wellllll..... I don't really like to talk about it, but if you look closely at my profile picture ... you'll see that I don't have one. Breathing's a little difficult, but I'm used to that by now. And it does explain my poor sense of smell.

• Like 2

(Looking and zooming my best on phone)

Hm. Because of breathing difficulty, one woud think that you would prefer to have those messy furs trimmed. :p

I believe she's referring to her own nose, Pseud.

Furs? Hey, I paid a lot of money for that haircut, it's the latest of the latest fashion!!!! They actually use a lawnmower to create that look. It's not just a haircut, it's a statement!!!!

• Like 2

I believe she's referring to her own nose, Pseud.

Hey, my nose may not be as cute as button but I'm sure it's comparable to other fashion accessories. No. Not zipper, I am not Frankenstein. Uhm.. maybe somewhere between buckle and corsage.

Furs? Hey, I paid a lot of money for that haircut, it's the latest of the latest fashion!!!! They actually use a lawnmower to create that look. It's not just a haircut, it's a statement!!!!

Rrright.

Pay me half what you paid and I'll give you better statement.

Something tells me you are skeptical. Hmmm, what could it be.....

Something tells me you are skeptical. Hmmm, what could it be.....

It could be Sherlock rolling his eyes at how we kind of :hijacked: this thread. Or him making horrendous noise on his beautiful violin or throwing a pout, or... :)

• Like 2

...or thinking that each of the more famous Sherlocks is/was unique in their own way! Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett started their careers as handsome young things, and they became iconic in the role. I don't particularly like the referenced similarity of BC to Sid the Sloth, but, hey, it's his own perception! Better than an otter, anyway.

Who compares BC to Sid the Sloth...? How dare they.. :p but he is an advanced sloth alrite, agile and knows how to make fire. Oh have you seen otter? Change your mind! They are cute, but actually very vicious and manipulative, they could easily devour a python. :wub:

Alright.. back to Sherlock.

What would Sherlock do when he is bored if he is alone.. he doesn't have gun to shoot the wall..

I have suspicion that Sherlock chooses John all along. He is not just someone random brought by Mike. Sherlock knows John is a doctor and has military background. He must have known that John is 'suitable'.

He could make use of his medical knowledge, perhaps also having another link to equipment and medical supplies. He is a perfect 'victim' for experiment because it's more likely that John knows when something is wrong so it's less likely to be fatal. A doctor also wouldn't kick a lot of fuss with body parts in the fridge on in the microwave. Someone from military is also less likely to get scared easily, and has adequate skill to defend himself should an enemy comes for visit, a military is also more likely to have healthy dose of skepticism which is great for his work.

Second last, he somehow deduces that John is a good man, at least someone with principle because he decides not to look for Harry for help and he has psychosomatic wound, which could mean he has emotional burden about war.

And lastly, he deduces that John is bored as well.

So I think Sherlock chooses John.

Mike most probably had brought a dozen of people to meet Sherlock (as I said, he is a sadistic man who enjoys watching people interacts with Sherlock :p) but Sherlock didn't take them.

• Like 1

Who compares BC to Sid the Sloth...? How dare they.. :P but he is an advanced sloth alrite, agile and knows how to make fire. Oh have you seen otter? Change your mind! They are cute, but actually very vicious and manipulative, they could easily devour a python. :wub:

BC himself is the only one I've ever seen make the comparison, although he may have picked it up from an early review. If that's true ... ouch! But good on BC for turning it into a joke, if that's the case. Myself, I fail to see any resemblance, except that Sid is rather bumbly and sweet. :smile:

Alright.. back to Sherlock.

What would Sherlock do when he is bored if he is alone.. he doesn't have gun to shoot the wall..

I have suspicion that Sherlock chooses John all along. He is not just someone random brought by Mike. Sherlock knows John is a doctor and has military background. He must have known that John is 'suitable'.

He could make use of his medical knowledge, perhaps also having another link to equipment and medical supplies. He is a perfect 'victim' for experiment because it's more likely that John knows when something is wrong so it's less likely to be fatal. A doctor also wouldn't kick a lot of fuss with body parts in the fridge on in the microwave. Someone from military is also less likely to get scared easily, and has adequate skill to defend himself should an enemy comes for visit, a military is also more likely to have healthy dose of skepticism which is great for his work.

Second last, he somehow deduces that John is a good man, at least someone with principle because he decides not to look for Harry for help and he has psychosomatic wound, which could mean he has emotional burden about war.

And lastly, he deduces that John is bored as well.

So I think Sherlock chooses John.

Mike most probably had brought a dozen of people to meet Sherlock (as I said, he is a sadistic man who enjoys watching people interacts with Sherlock :P) but Sherlock didn't take them.

I don't know about the dozens of people, but I do agree that the mere fact that John actually showed up at 221B, in spite of having met the "weirdo" Sherlock earlier, was enough to pique Sherlock's interest. From there, for him, it was a matter of waiting to see if John had the stomach to live with him. :smile:

I've often thought they both must have quite a bit of faith in Mike's judgement.

• Like 3

On the subject of a female Sherlock and John, like many other things connected with space travel, mathematics, physics, bomber pilots etc, the Russians came first and created the pair in a 1986 film, called мой нежно любимый детектив (My dearly beloved detective) with Shirley Holmes and Jane Watson. If you get a chance to watch it, some parts of Elementary will look derivative.

As for Sid the Sloth, it was Benedict himself who made the comparison in an early interview for the first series, if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

I'll stick with the otter comparison

• Like 1