Conspiracy theories on Johns red pom pom anyone?

Wolfine152

I know this is random, but does anyone know what is up with Johns little pom pom on his tie in the Christmas special trailer?? 

MAIN-Sherlock-Holmes.jpg

Its driving me insane!! like why are you there!?!? first its the random red thread on sherlock’s jacket and now this!?!?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

Im going to just assume its a couples thing and that Johnlock is now canon until another reason for the pom poms existence is presented... so, does anyone have an idea??

Wow, your eyes are better than mine (or maybe you just have a better monitor!) :) but I can't see it. But welcome to the forum anyway, Wolfine, I hope we'll see a lot of you around here.
:welcome:

It's just a tie pin.

Funny place for a tie pin, though, isn't it? By blowing it up I could make out a red dot surrrounded by two white dots, but I have no idea what they are. Not even sure if they're 3 dimensional objects, or a design on the tie. For all I know it could be a microphone.

However, I've  noticed something else peculiar about this picture... anyone else see it? B)

Hello Wolfine and welcome to the forum! :wave: Looks like a vaguely strawberry-ish tie pin to me (do we have a squinting emoticon? :D).

@Arcadia: do you mean that whatever-it-is that Sherlock's wearing where a tie is supposed to go?

@Arcadia: do you mean that whatever-it-is that Sherlock's wearing where a tie is supposed to go?

No, although I agree that looks a bit strange too. :P

Arcadia: the red button hole? The double Sherlock and John? :D

Right the second time! You win a no-prize! Everyone, look closely at who's inside the cab.....

Where's that squint emotie?  I was thinking the cab passenger on the right looks a good bit like Sherlock.  And the one on the left is waving, but I really can't see what he or she looks like.  I assume it's an on-set photo, rather than a screen-cap.

It's neither, or possibly both; at any rate, it's a composite of at least 2 photos, maybe even 3 .... The other person in the cab is John, of course!

Our pleasure, we all get stuck on things sometimes. Hope you'll stick around for other discussions!

I guess someone in the costume department thought it would be a nice touch to add a tiny splash of red to John's outfit to go with Sherlock's red buttonhole. That doesn't have to mean anything, though.

Welcome, Woolfine!

(Can I just say something about this "Johnlock" - ugh how I hate that odd nonword and other name mashups - and "canon"? It already is! For 9 episodes, the relationship between these two guys has been the heart and soul of the series. It's about virtually nothing else! What more do people want?)

• Like 1

Hello Wolfine and welcome to the forum! :wave: Looks like a vaguely strawberry-ish tie pin to me (do we have a squinting emoticon? :D).

No, although I agree that looks a bit strange too. :P

Arcadia: the red button hole? The double Sherlock and John? :D

Right the second time! You win a no-prize! Everyone, look closely at who's inside the cab.....

The whatever-it-is is a form of ascot. I looked it up on my tie knot app I have on my phone. And the knot is common for ascots but not ties.

• Like 2

Oh come on, T.o.b.y -- you know what they want!  :D

Yeah, and the question why is one of the unexplained mysteries to me.

Have you never, when reading a book or watching a film, had this very strong impression that two characters are absolutely perfect for each other in every way, that they belong together, and wished with all your heart that the story will unite them?

If not, then I see why this puzzles you. Some readers / viewers don't feel that way, I guess, and that's probably rational and better for your sanity and peace of mind. But I know the feeling all to well. The agony of reading Mansfield Park for the first time and worrying that Fanny would not in the end marry Edmund! The deep sadness when Jane Eyre disappears into the night, even though it was the right decision and I applaud her for it, and the profound joy when she and Mr Rochester finally meet again and agree to part no more! In real life, I am very skeptical about "true love" and "the right person", but in fiction, that is a vital concept, if you ask me.

I do think John and Sherlock have this "meant to be" quality. The only question is meant to be what, exactly, and there I am perfectly contented with what we see on screen. It's a wonderful, funny, touching love story, and personally, I doubt that any amount of physical intimacy would make it any better - besides, the idea of Sherlock Holmes having a regular romantic partner seems out of character. He's just... not that kind of man. The way I see him.

There is a tie knot app?!? :picard2:

Yes there is so people like me can teach their son's how to tie a tie properly and in various ways based on material & width of the tie. It also mentions bow ties, ascots, scarves, & pocket squares.

• Like 1

Oh come on, T.o.b.y -- you know what they want!  :D

Yeah, and the question why is one of the unexplained mysteries to me.

Have you never, when reading a book or watching a film, had this very strong impression that two characters are absolutely perfect for each other in every way, that they belong together, and wished with all your heart that the story will unite them?

I have, but for myself, I wouldn't put John and Sherlock in that category, I'm afraid. (Maybe it's because theirs is not the kind of relationship I would like to have? Too contentious for my taste!) But I suspect that's partly what makes it enjoyable television -- they're NOT perfect for each other, yet they're best friends anyway, and the friction between them is part of the fun. That's how it works for me, anyway, but I get what you're saying as well. In fact ... I thought John and Mary were perfect for each other, and I very much liked the idea of them together ... until Mary turned around and shot Sherlock. I have no idea who she is, now.

Anyway, I don't think any of this is what either Carol or JP meant... :naughty: