Sign in to follow this  
J Erbes

Which Jeremy Brett episode had the steam launch ?

This may be an odd question, but I am building a minature steam engine-powered launch for my elderly father-in-law.

There was a Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes episode where he and Watson were shown traveling down the Thames(?) in a magnificant steam launch.

I would love to base my model steam launch on that one.

Does anyone know of which episode I speak, or will I need to watch them all until I come across it?

Thanks for your assistance.

Hello, JErbes -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

I am not terribly familiar with boating terminology, but I do recall one Brett episode with a boat race down the Thames, namely "The Sign of Four."  I believe both boats were steam-powered, though far smaller than what I would normally think of as a steamboat.

That's an interesting project you're undertaking!  Please stick around and keep us posted on it.  And do feel free to join in some other discussions while you're at it.

• Like 2

Dear Carol, definitely the Sign of the Four, after all it was their Special, for the hundredth anniversary of the Study in Scarlet, but there is also a very nice steam launch seen in the same adventure in the silent film made by the Stoll company while ACD was still alive. There is an instance of it in the extra material to be found in S3 the Special Edition.

I myself am a stickler for referring to Conan Doyle's novel as The Sign of the Four, Inge, but according to all online references I've seen (including this poster), the Brett episode (like many editions of the novel) is called just "The Sign of Four."  Odd, isn't it?

• Like 1

Dear Carol, not at all, we are both Generation X and home computers were a marvel, and mobile phones only for grown-ups, so we read actual books, and did actual schoolwork from reference books, not online, so it stands to reason that we are sticklers for such things, besides, according to Shadow Dweller's quiz, it's part of my character, apparently. :smile:

I think I'm a bit pre-X, Inge, but I'm also an INTP with A as my blood type -- so I really can't help it!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yup - Sign Of Four.