A Study in Cosplay

From the tags, I'm sure you clever lot can figure out the basics of my question, though I'll spell it out just in case.

I need your help.

I know its early, but I am so gosh-darn excited and would like some pointers. For Halloween, my friend and I are going as John and Sherlock, respectively. I was wondering if any of you guys know any YouTube videos or have any pointers on how to use makeup to make my cheekbones a bit more... Benedict-y?

Thanks!

Wow, that's a question I am 100% not qualified to answer and so of course can't resist. :P

I have no clue about makeup (in fact, it took me until university to figure out just how to apply mascara), but I was once part of a theater group and I seem to remember that in order to highlight cheekbones, you want to create like artificial shadows underneath them. I think what our makeup-artist did was take some kind of powder that was a few shades darker than what she used for the overall face and applied it from the temple to the mouth while the actor made a "fish face", drawing in his or her cheeks. Then she'd put something pale on top of the cheekbone. I think that's called "highlighting".

Why don't you type "contouring" and "highlighting" into the youtube box and see what you get. It'll probably be more beauty stuff than disguise, but since you won't be standing in the glare of theater lights, you probably want something more subtle anyway. Fortunately, you have plenty of time to experiment before Halloween comes along.

Do let us know how it went!

• Like 4

Thanks, T.o.b.y -- that's the sort of thing I was thinking of posting, only better worded!

Greencat, all I can think to add is, just be careful not to overdo it, or you might look more like a vampire than a detective!

• Like 1

If I'm interpreting the "1999" in your forum handle correctly, how about asking your mother for help with that part of your costume? Most women do get the hang of it sooner or later (like T.o.b.y, I'm no makeup artist myself but I picked up the basics as I went) and, bonus, she probably already has the foundations and powders you need for the project :smile:.

Speaking of highlighting and contouring, don't forget your neck. You probably won't be able to mimic more than a rudimentary Adam's apple, but it should be there for a convincing appearance.

• Like 1

I'm definitely the last person to ask, since I consider putting sunblock as make-up.

But if all else fail.. put a tiny plastic bone on your cheek. :)

I'm definitely the last person to ask, since I consider putting sunblock as make-up.

But if all else fail.. put a tiny plastic bone on your cheek. :)

Great pun, haha! Definitely sharing that one xD

Youtube also has a lot of Sherlock cosplay vids and some have the players doing makeup tutorials. Tumblr may be a good place to look for those as well. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

keicosplay.deviantart.com/art/Cosplay-Tutorial-Male-Body-Shade-332688614 Just in case ^^

• Like 1