Star Trek Beyond ... and beyond

Hey, they've started filming the third Trek-reboot movie!  This article has stills and a bit of video from a location shoot.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Here's the first trailer (a bit earlier than intended):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XRVD32rnzOw

Those accursed "Trending" emails from Facebook *finally* told me something interesting!

• Like 2

Hmmmm. Looks like the Matrix has infiltrated Star Fleet ... and who is that guy that sounds like Kirk but looks like a fashion model? :D

Not gettin' the good vibes like I did the trailers for the first two ... JJ, come back!

That trailer has some neat humor, though.  Don't really understand most of the trailer (looks like a bunch of bigger, faster, louder), but I do like the humor.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

JJ's the producer.

And Simon Pegg is the co-writer! Interesting. I think Scotty's my favorite character in this new version.

I see from this trailer there does appear to be some character development ... but it still looks awfully loud and glitzy. Sigh.

Simon Pegg and Karl Urban are the two Trekkers among the cast, afaik.

NNllzDo.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Just re-watched 'into Darkness' yesterday. So looking forward to the new one.

Though I think there should be way more women aboard in the films. Like Captain Janeway or so. Love Voyager. :)

I liked Voyager too ... I think I liked it the most after the original. Although I do like Picard. Deep Space Nine bored me silly, I'm afraid, I think because I like to see spaceships zooming around. :smile:

I looked at the current casting listed on IMDb and notice we don't have Carol (Alice Eve) who was on the ship at the beginning of the mission this movie is about (according to IMDb's summary).  (Just finished watching Into Darkness)

Hm. I figured she was Kirk's love interest.....

It's a big ship!  Gene Roddenberry's original description of the tv show was "Wagon Train to the stars" -- in other words, he envisioned each episode featuring some crew members we might never see again, simply because there were over 400 of them.

So Carol Marcus may still be on the ship, and we may see her again, even if not in this installment.  Then again, we may not.

• Like 1

Yeah, wasn't "it's a big ship" sort of the explanation for why Chekov wasn't seen in Season 1? :smile:

Official take is that he was indeed on the ship but not yet part of the bridge crew, and that Khan met him off-screen some time. Walter Koenig, iirc, used to joke (when asked about this) that Chekov made Khan wait a long time for the only available bathroom and that's why Khan remembered him with such particular animosity ;).

• Like 3

Oh, right, that was it! Because Khan remembered him in the movie even though they'd apparently never met in the show. ("I never forget a face," right?) Thanks ladies, I knew I wasn't completely fabricating that.... :D   So there's still some hope for my memory after all!

Reviewing that ... it's rather pitiful how little it takes to make me happy, isn't it? :d

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Has anybody seen "Beyond" yet?  Alex and I are planning to go next week.

I've been reading some of the peripheral stuff (not the reviews per se, since I'd rather not know what happens), and would be interested in other people's take on a couple of things.  (Though of course I'll subject you to my take first!)

I assume most of you have already read that it will be disclosed that Sulu is gay, and you've also read that George Takei thinks it's a bad idea for several reasons (and I'm paraphrasing my memory here, since I can't seem to find quite the same articles that I read the other day):  His original Sulu was straight, so why change Roddenberry's vision?  And since these movies take place before the original series, they're implying that Sulu was openly gay but then retreated into the closet.  If they want to have a gay character, why not introduce a new character who's presented as gay from the start, rather than waiting till the third film to bring Sulu out of the closet?

As I understand what the movie folks are saying, their Sulu hasn't been in any closet, his sexual orientation has simply never come up before.  Near as I can recall, the original-series Sulu had no visible sexual orientation either (unless you count the scene in "Naked Time" when he "rescues" an indignant Uhura while living out his fantasy of being a d'Artagnan type).  An article that I read today reminded me that in one of the original-cast movies, however, we meet Sulu's daughter -- but no mention is made of her mother, and gay couples can and do have children; in fact, Cho's Sulu and his husband have a daughter (nice tie-in there).  Besides, the new movies do not actually take place before the original series; they're in an alternative timeline that branched off about the time Kirk was born, so even though many things are (more or less) the same, there are also differences.

I think I like this move.  If they'd introduced an explicitly-gay new character, it'd be difficult -- regardless of how they handled it -- to keep people from thinking of and referring to him/her as "the gay character."  But we know Sulu already.  He's Sulu!

• Like 1

I think for me it will depend on how they handle it ... if it's a big deal, which it doesn't sound like it will be, I might find it distracting. If you just happen to realize he's gay and then move on, I think that'd be great ... we're supposed to be evolved in the Star Trek universe, why would anybody bother to mention someone's sexual orientation one way or the other? Does it somehow affect how you do your job? C'mon, guys, show us something interesting, like blowing up a starship! :d

I agree, except for the 3 leads, the crew's sexuality was their business, not ours. Sometimes I long for the good ol' days....

• Like 2