How do you relate to Sherlock (the series)?

@J.P.: giggle-skype-smiley.gif Yups, too much sunlight is not good for our skin.

@Inge: Here *push Arcadia forward* have fun you two! \(^o^)/

@CAMPer: The web is a massive database made for play and fun ;)

• Like 1

@J.P.: giggle-skype-smiley.gif Yups, too much sunlight is not good for our skin.

@Inge: Here *push Arcadia forward* have fun you two! \(^o^)/

@CAMPer: The web is a massive database made for play and fun ;)

Agreed on the sun...dealing with my first sunburn for the summer that I got on Monday.

Also agreed on the web, but still have no idea how the zodiacs fit in to the fun (total John moment there).

• Like 1

Well, we are starting to drift away again...

Zodiacs. I do believe that there is something like a general characterization of types that seems to fit. But I don't believe it's stars and not the moment of birth. We still don't know all the factors that form us from the fertilized egg-cell. The mother's body reacts to seasons with differences of hormone/whatever level to food, daylight -> vitamin D, temperature, or even activity level, that might have some influence on the child's temperament.

And of course it doesn't always work. I've known someone born on the same day and she was totally different. We were 4 Geminis in out team over last years and all very different. On the other hand in the whole department, Geminis are the biggest part. Between may and june there are birthdays almost every day. Which again would be typical as our business is advertising. :D

• Like 1

What do you expect J.P.? It's the hiatus ( cabin fever) getting to us! And the id is not just Moriarty, he's kindergarten stuff compared to my veritable Dracula of inmost thoughts!

@ShadowDweller, please, please, please, rethink your decision and accept me as virtual humble younger sister! Can't speak for Arcadia, each one to their own!

Officially hijacked another thread! Now it's up to the non-existent supernova to call us to order :smile:

I did try bringing it back around with my parenthetical comment about having a John moment.

• Like 1

Duly noted, dear SherlockedCamper! But this version of John Watson gets lumped in together with Anderson and Dimmock in terms of impeding rather than helping the action move forward. A John moment would almost equal an Anderson moment. Previous comments available.

It does fall under the category of John's "I don't understand" & "I still don't understand" moments in HLV :)

• Like 1

Anything to keep our sanity during hiatus, even when it means delving into the unusual ^^

@Inge: "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead . Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus (*^-^*)

@CAMPEr: What kind of thing you use to deal with sunburn?

• Like 2

*Ahem* why not use sunblock ahead of time instead?

Existentialism and Camus! OK, although not my favourite writer ( hated his guts when I found out he was having an affair with Jean Marais) whatever you think best, ShadowDweller!

Couldn't we model ourselves on Chateaubriand instead, who during the 1830 revolution against the Bourbons said of his faction:I'm their leader, I must follow them?

You see my username, Inge. It means that my place is away from the limelight. ^^

• Like 1

Hoi hoi there..

John and Sherlock also have fun and speak gilberish too, I think. XD

Sunburn, use aloe vera gel. They usually put it together with sunblock. Sunblock 50+ SPF is good. Below, not enough, above, effective rate about the same with 50. If you forget, just enjoy the sun. Choose non sticky type, not something that will melt with your sweat. Don't forget the back of your neck. Spray type, rubbish. Sunblock is not to prevent tan, but skin cancer. (I just know some clots who refuse/mock sunblock because they thought it would prevent tanning.

Zodiac, I don't care for daily reading but quite enjoy finding out the personality traits that fit. As usual, with zodiac or any type of personality tests (I enjoy quiz so I don't mind good ones) I just take what is relatable and throw away what is not. From google, quite like what this one says

Now..about that topic

There is another thing that makes me relate to Sherlock: his Inner Jim in the padded cell. I also carry a strange conviction that deep in my psyche there is something very dark and mighty, that better don't ever come near to the surface.

Can't speak for all, this show definitely help me learn stuff about myself. Like when I see scene I relate to and people's reaction to the scene in general, I didn't realise this action affects others this/that way, or trying to run a scenario and found your own possible reaction, given the same circumstances, ability, chance, and ponder what it says about you.

Something dark that hopefully never come near to surface, like mentioned before, I despise people like Magnussen (they exist) but regardless how many ways I see it, I'd shoot him in the face if I was in Sherlock's shoe. Never going to happen I hope. The other not so good reality check, my loved ones and friends put up a lot for me, and how all of them give positive influence to me, like John.

Another thing to relate, I am not a hugger, my family also. Now that I think about it, I don't think we have ever hugged each other, and also incapable of mushy nice words, we barely comfort each other the way normal family does. Sitting there quietly is what we do, when we want to comfort another. But it's enough, we are very close, love and supportive of each other, it's just our way. Maybe not coincidental, most of my closest friends are not hugger, or maybe they understand me more.

I probably only hug two person voluntarily, and hug less than a dozen of people all my life, other than the two, are mostly situation I can't escape from, like farewells, congritulations and rendevous where they come in high speed with hands flailing about 45-135 degree perpendicular to their bodies, making it impossible to duck or jump.

But I'm better today, I stay instead of stepping backward or leaning at a very slanted angle.

While I am more receptive to hug (my standard) I really hate (Just got a very weird hug and smooch last week) from an introduction! Introduction! Come on, I barely have time to see you face yet. Extra helping of smooch is gross. Eek. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

• Like 3

Can't speak for all, this show definitely help me learn stuff about myself. Like when I see scene I relate to and people's reaction to the scene in general, I didn't realise this action affects others this/that way, or trying to run a scenario and found your own possible reaction, given the same circumstances, ability, chance, and ponder what it says about you.

There is another thing I find helpful. If you are talking with a therapist (or a good friend) and have things said to you - things that you don't like - you will react with defense, which is natural. It takes much more energy to make you accept anything when it feels like criticism.

When I observe Sherlock with all I project on him, and then try to analyze him, this indirect way lets me see myself clearer. Many things from the show that finally got through my defense lines, were told to me long time ago, but now they are aha-moments, and coming from myself they are more acceptable than being told by anyone else.

• Like 4

Anything to keep our sanity during hiatus, even when it means delving into the unusual ^^

@Inge: "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead . Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus (*^-^*)

@CAMPEr: What kind of thing you use to deal with sunburn?

*Ahem* why not use sunblock ahead of time instead?

Existentialism and Camus! OK, although not my favourite writer ( hated his guts when I found out he was having an affair with Jean Marais) whatever you think best, ShadowDweller!

Couldn't we model ourselves on Chateaubriand instead, who during the 1830 revolution against the Bourbons said of his faction:I'm their leader, I must follow them?

Hoi hoi there..

John and Sherlock also have fun and speak gilberish too, I think. XD

Sunburn, use aloe vera gel. They usually put it together with sunblock. Sunblock 50+ SPF is good. Below, not enough, above, effective rate about the same with 50. If you forget, just enjoy the sun. Choose non sticky type, not something that will melt with your sweat. Don't forget the back of your neck. Spray type, rubbish. Sunblock is not to prevent tan, but skin cancer. (I just know some clots who refuse/mock sunblock because they thought it would prevent tanning.

I had sunblock with and forgot to use it.  It's a mineral based SPF 30 that is sweat/water resistant.  Post burn I use a calendula ointment.

As for person to follow, how about Jesus of Nazareth?  Just like Sherlock, he managed to rub people the wrong way.  Unlike Sherlock, he actually cared for more people who would have been considered beneath him.

• Like 3

Dear SherlockedCamper, prevention is the best cure! As for your last suggestion, I'm already a churchgoer (Evangelical), so I wanted an elder sister, even a virtual one, but you can't have everything in this world! *sigh*

• Like 1

A lot of our Pirate gigs are in the hotter months of Summer. We are told to drink a lot of water and use sun block. I usually buy it, throw it in the back of the car and forget it. But we are usually so covered in layers and long sleeves only our faces are exposed and we are wearing wigs, and or hats so it's not to much of a problem but shade and water is always a welcome plus along with cool breezes.

Not much of a follower. I attend an Episcopalian Church, but I also read the scriptures of the Qu'ran and the Sikhs. I also find a wealth of knowledge and spiritual wisdom in the native tribes of the Earth and the Celts so yeah, I believe in a Higher Spirit then mankind. But a Universal power not owned or regulated by one religion, doctrine, dogma or theology.

• Like 1

:D I can't help but think of Irene here, saying to Sherlock that he believes in himself as a higher power...
Her analysis of him was pretty accurate. :lol:

I can't find it in me to really believe in anything like god or an afterlife. I am not an atheist - I'm just not sure. I just don't know, and right now, I'm fine with not knowing.

I have trouble imagining a divine being who is like a human, has its own consciousness and is interested in what we do on a daily basis. That's really hard for me to believe in. I find the concept of some abstract force for good in the universe easier to grasp. I mean, it would be great to have someone immortal look after us and everything, but somehow that's hard to reconcile with a lot of things that happen around me.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes, though. :lol: Not that he's real, of course. But that he's a hero and basically a good man, in spite of shooting people - and being completely fictional, of course. :P

(This post seems to indicate that I also believe in the power of emojis - how embarrassing)

• Like 5

The line from Irene is one of the best lines in the show so far. Her quick wits might be the other thing that puzzled Sherlock into stupor. :D

I have this comic pinned to the wall at my office, because it is so me that I almost cried seeing it for the first time. Looking at it I realized that living with Sherlock must be a bit like living with Garfield. Garfield seems to be a Sherlock/Mycroft melange with lasagne instead of cakes. :) Even the guy's name is Jon.

• Like 3

Whoop.. I was nervous about religion discussion because I had seen it gone ugly in many other place but not here :)  :thumbsup:

I am agnostic but enjoy discussing different religions as long as everyone keeps open minded.

The line from Irene is one of the best lines in the show so far. Her quick wits might be the other thing that puzzled Sherlock into stupor. :D

I have this comic pinned to the wall at my office, because it is so me that I almost cried seeing it for the first time. Looking at it I realized that living with Sherlock must be a bit like living with Garfield. Garfield seems to be a Sherlock/Mycroft melange with lasagne instead of cakes. :) Even the guy's name is Jon.

:lol:

Never made relation of Sherlock to Garfield before :lol:

I want to change the heads in the cartoon with Sherlock's and John's..

• 2 months later...

The first thing I related to when I started to watch Sherlock was the introduction scene between Sherlock and John. Like Sherlock I prefer texting to the telephone (I avoid telephone calls as much as possible), sometimes can be very silent (he doesn't speak for days on end) and playing music definitively helps me to think. I don't play the violin, though, but the accordion.

I'm a Molly/Sherlock hybrid with a touch of John. I tend to be quiet (shy introvert), stumble over my words, not always get someone's emotional body language until after the fact (possible high-functioning ASD but not diagnosed) even though I tend to notice when someone is upset/sad (Molly in TRF). And I can be stubborn at times some of them are very Sherlock in nature but occasionally they are more John like (for the other person's own good & mine not just because like Sherlock). Finally there's all stuff the goes through my head and rarely comes out that if it did would be a lot like Sherlock, somewhat dark but out of curiosity more than actual Moriarty derangement.

I think most of that applies to me, too. To some people, especially when I am not familiar with them I tend to come across a bit Molly-like. But with other people I am more Sherlock-like. But I still don't let everything out that I think. It's a bit of an inner Sherlock who doesn't show because I suppress it. For example I tend to correct other people's grammar in my head a lot, but almost never say anything about it.

Like Arcadia, I am also a Sherlock (with Irene Adler's fashion sensibilities, thankyouverymuch  ;) ).  I get going on a topic that excited me intellectually, and I can't "downshift" verbally, so I find myself vomiting forth polysyllabic words.  People don't understand, either intellectually or viscerally, what I'm talking about.  If I'm really in the middle of something good, I find I don't really care all that much whether they do or don't.

I sometimes have that, too. I can go on and on and at one moment the other person doesn't follow anymore. But that's probably a moment when I am already in a kind of monologue-mode and don't even realize if that's the case. It's a bit like talking rather at the person than having a conversation with them.

Hmmm.

I'm not saying I'm smarter than other people ... it's just that I'm interested in talking about things like subtext and politics and philosophy and such. And most people I know are interested in talking about their job, their kids and their spouses, and sort of roll their eyes if I go off on one of my egghead topics. I'm used to the weird looks I get from people when I say something "book-learned", and even have learned to enjoy it --

I feel you. Have trouble remembering people's kids. I don't even remember gender and quantity, let alone names and faces. After they talk about all those; jobs, babies, husbands, I would blurt out,"so, now that artificial inteligence is getting more sophisticated, do you think one day robots will take over humanity?

I hate small talk. If someone really has something to say about their job or their family, or just their last trip to the supermarket, something that comes from the heart and isn't just blabbered into the air to keep a pointless conversation going, that's fine with me, though. I don't mind "mundane" subjects or chatting, I just don't like interaction with other people that is insincere and meaningless. I also hate it when people just agree with everything you say no matter what their real opinions on the matter are.

I agree with both opinions a bit. It depends on my mood, I guess. I don't like the kind of small talk you described, T.o.by, but can sometimes enjoy conversations about rather trivial topics when they interest me. But sometimes I am more like what Arcadia and Van Buren Supernova describe and just don't listen because it is too boring and I cannot relate to it. That are the moments when I tend to be rather quiet and so am considered to be shy although I am just not interested in the topic and don't want to talk about it.

Two more little things why I relate to Sherlock:

Despite being a loner, I tend to think better when I speak. Maybe I should get me a Billy the Scull (wouldn't be too good in an anxiety phase) or a Wilson (from Castaway) or just start to talk to my dolls. Okay, sometimes I also think better when I write, so I will rather stick with you. :wub:

I really like the idea of wearing the same clothes all the time. Or having a lot of the same pieces, like Sherlock his coats.

Sadly before I realize that a piece suits me and I like it - it's long gone from the market. Beside this, if I started to wear the same all the time, I would officially become the freak of the team.

Especially writing also helps me to think, but talking works as well. I think for me it is easier to order my thoughts that way.
I know that clothes problem as well. I tend to be rather repetitive when it comes to clothes and shoes and would like to own more than one piece of my favourites. But as you say it takes a while to decide whether something belongs to those favourites and then it's not on the market anymore. But nevertheless I own a few of the same trousers in two different colours and even have got one shirt twice. I like the comparison with Sherlock's coats.

• Like 2

The first thing I related to when I started to watch Sherlock was the introduction scene between Sherlock and John. Like Sherlock I prefer texting to the telephone (I avoid telephone calls as much as possible), sometimes can be very silent (he doesn't speak for days on end) and playing music definitively helps me to think. I don't play the violin, though, but the accordion.

Interesting... I dislike talking on the phone too, but I dislike texting even more. Maybe that has more to do with the mechanics of it, though, because I don't mind email. I like being able to edit what I'm saying! :D

Two more little things why I relate to Sherlock:

Despite being a loner, I tend to think better when I speak. Maybe I should get me a Billy the Scull (wouldn't be too good in an anxiety phase) or a Wilson (from Castaway) or just start to talk to my dolls. Okay, sometimes I also think better when I write, so I will rather stick with you. :wub:

I really like the idea of wearing the same clothes all the time. Or having a lot of the same pieces, like Sherlock his coats.

Sadly before I realize that a piece suits me and I like it - it's long gone from the market. Beside this, if I started to wear the same all the time, I would officially become the freak of the team.

Especially writing also helps me to think, but talking works as well. I think for me it is easier to order my thoughts that way.

I know that clothes problem as well. I tend to be rather repetitive when it comes to clothes and shoes and would like to own more than one piece of my favourites. But as you say it takes a while to decide whether something belongs to those favourites and then it's not on the market anymore. But nevertheless I own a few of the same trousers in two different colours and even have got one shirt twice. I like the comparison with Sherlock's coats.

Yeah, I like to talk my way through things too. But does that makes me bad company? I ask a lot of questions at meetings, for example, but hardly ever get a word in response. Am I just boring them to death? I worry about things like that sometimes.

Once I find clothes that fit (and that can take a few weeks), I usually go back and buy 2-3 more of the same thing in different colors. Then the company goes out of business and I have to start the search all over again.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Like Sherlock I prefer texting to the telephone (I avoid telephone calls as much as possible), sometimes can be very silent (he doesn't speak for days on end) and playing music definitively helps me to think. I don't play the violin, though, but the accordion.

Interesting... I dislike talking on the phone too, but I dislike texting even more. Maybe that has more to do with the mechanics of it, though, because I don't mind email. I like being able to edit what I'm saying! :D

Oh heavens yes, editing is wonderful!  That's my biggest gripe about email -- once it's sent, it's out of my hands.  The best I can do at that point is send a PS, explaining what I really meant (and thereby running the risk of drawing the recipient's attention to the unfortunate alternative interpretation that they hadn't even noticed).  Forums have spoilt me for sure!

Yeah, I like to talk my way through things too. But does that makes me bad company? I ask a lot of questions at meetings, for example, but hardly ever get a word in response. Am I just boring them to death? I worry about things like that sometimes.

Yeah, what is it with people who don't answer questions?  Do they find it hard, having to say "I don't know"?  Or do they think my questions aren't even worth the courtesy?

Speaking of talking things through, am I allowed to rant here?  In a prior job, I had been in the habit, when designing a new system, of explaining it to a co-worker, as a way of making sure that I understood the design myself, plus working out any remaining rough spots.  One time, I got to that point and there was no one in the office but me and the secretary, but she was good enough to sit through my explanation (of which she admitted to understanding not a word), which was a great help to me.

Then I went to another company, and when I had my first design basically ready, one of the other software engineers agreed to act as my sounding board.  I thought that session went just fine, but then later, the boss asked me what was wrong -- seems the other gal had told him that I was "having problems."  Sheesh!  After that, I just went ahead and implemented my systems as designed, without the review session.

• Like 2

Or are they just bored silly? :d

It can be tough to transition to a new workplace; what works in one sometimes doesn't in another. I'm a big believer in teamwork, and that worked well at one place I worked; but when I moved to a new job, and pulled a team together to do a certain task, I received a dressing down for not doing it all by myself. Who knew? (Needless to say, I didn't last at that second job very long.)

• Like 2

Oh, another telephone hater :D . Hello! yaya.gif

Hello! yaya.gif

I also prefer emails to texting, but texting is still better than using the telephone for me. Yes, it is great that you can edit what you are saying. That is an advantage, but sometimes it also makes me slow in responsing because I re-read my texts again and again, trying to figure out what I could make better.

Speaking of talking things through, am I allowed to rant here?  In a prior job, I had been in the habit, when designing a new system, of explaining it to a co-worker, as a way of making sure that I understood the design myself, plus working out any remaining rough spots.  One time, I got to that point and there was no one in the office but me and the secretary, but she was good enough to sit through my explanation (of which she admitted to understanding not a word), which was a great help to me.

I sometimes do that explaining, too. It is really helpful. When I was at school one of my maths teachers said: "If you want to check if you have really understood everything, give someone a lesson about the topic and see if you can do it." That method definitively works for me.

• Like 4