How do you relate to Sherlock (the series)?

"I never expected to be anybody's best friend" was the quote I used in my original signature.  I've just always related to that and this aspect of Sherlock so much.

tumblr_o4zpofHSA71s9htd1o1_r2_540.gif

tumblr_o4zpofHSA71s9htd1o2_r1_540.gif

tumblr_o4zpofHSA71s9htd1o3_r1_540.gif

tumblr_o4zpofHSA71s9htd1o4_r1_540.gif

tumblr_o4zpofHSA71s9htd1o5_r1_540.gif

tumblr_o4zpofHSA71s9htd1o6_r1_540.gif

[Link]

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I think I relate to him because I kinda am what his worst self is. When I watch and see sherlock sometimes I think I can immediately connect to how he's feeling or why he's doing it. In the first episode, when he's about to take that pill, it was this deep seated understanding that he was doing it because of course he was bored, tired of being bored, tired of being himself. And i just go same because I've been there before.

When they call sherlock a freak or sherlock's awkward, there's this concrete understanding to myself that the reason he's like that is because he's never really been around people, just like I've never really been around people. That he had to use all that time of being alone and asking why he's alone that he filled it with something he's good at, something that impresses people, deductions and solving stuff. But he still hates himself because he sees himself as unlovable or a danger or a freak. And I sit there and I say same.

But the problem is that I'm not half as interesting or smart or even competent as sherlock. The only reason why I was alone a lot of my life was because I was probably rude or awkward or annoying. That's why it's lowkey hard to even watch it sometimes because I'm built like sherlock but I'm only the worst of him.

But idk he's a literal fictional character,  I shouldn't think so much into it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lowkey said:

I think I relate to him because I kinda am what his worst self is. When I watch and see sherlock sometimes I think I can immediately connect to how he's feeling or why he's doing it. In the first episode, when he's about to take that pill, it was this deep seated understanding that he was doing it because of course he was bored, tired of being bored, tired of being himself. And i just go same because I've been there before.

When they call sherlock a freak or sherlock's awkward, there's this concrete understanding to myself that the reason he's like that is because he's never really been around people, just like I've never really been around people. That he had to use all that time of being alone and asking why he's alone that he filled it with something he's good at, something that impresses people, deductions and solving stuff. But he still hates himself because he sees himself as unlovable or a danger or a freak. And I sit there and I say same.

But the problem is that I'm not half as interesting or smart or even competent as sherlock. The only reason why I was alone a lot of my life was because I was probably rude or awkward or annoying. That's why it's lowkey hard to even watch it sometimes because I'm built like sherlock but I'm only the worst of him.

But idk he's a literal fictional character,  I shouldn't think so much into it.

That last sentence is something I used to tell myself every day then eventually stopped... :lol: Now I think it's totally fine to think about fictional people 24/7.

I relate to the bit about being as morose or rude or clueless as Sherlock without being able to claim his intelligence or charm (or looks, in this incarnation). That's definitely one reason I adore season 1 Sherlock because he says so many things that I think but would never, ever get away with saying out loud (plus I think he's just plain entertaining that way).

Now, of course I don't know you but I'm willing to bet you have some of Sherlock's positive attributes and strengths as well. At least one. And since we got to know him better and better over the course of the series, there's a lot more to chose from than smarts and capability and physical advantages.

One good side of Sherlock I think I can see in myself is his lack of resentfulness. I know people got upset that he didn't hate Mary for shooting him but I "get" that. If someone harms me, I'm generally more interested in why they did it than how I could get back at them too.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Lowkey said:

Well now, you seem to be more self-aware than Series 1 Sherlock, which is certainly a point in your favor.

Like you, I apparently have a tendency to be rude or awkward or annoying without meaning to be -- without even being aware of it.  I assume that's common for introverts.  But I've pretty much stopped worrying about it.  Nowadays I'm happy with just having good intentions, because I can't control other people's reactions (especially if they don't even tell me about it).  There are a few people I get along with just fine, and I'm usually content with that.

One thing I've discovered -- on the rare occasions when I've found out why someone took offense at what I said or did, they've usually misinterpreted.  Different people have different ways of looking at things (and how boring the world would be if they didn't!).  If it sometimes leads to misunderstandings, I guess that's just the way life is.

Anyhow, welcome to Sherlock Forum!    :welcome:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1