How do you relate to Sherlock (the series)?

Interesting... I dislike talking on the phone too, but I dislike texting even more. Maybe that has more to do with the mechanics of it, though, because I don't mind email. I like being able to edit what I'm saying! :D

I also prefer emails to texting, but texting is still better than using the telephone for me. Yes, it is great that you can edit what you are saying. That is an advantage, but sometimes it also makes me slow in responsing because I re-read my texts again and again, trying to figure out what I could make better.

Oh dear, I'm the same ... sometimes I take more time editing my emails than I do writing them! I do that with posts on this forum, too, and sometimes 2 or 3 people add new posts while I'm editing .... then I have to edit again to respond to what they said! And sometimes I just end up deleting my post because someone else already said what I wanted to say. :blink:

I've already edited this post 4 times ..... :p

• Like 2

... sometimes I take more time editing my emails than I do writing them! I do that with posts on this forum, too, and sometimes 2 or 3 people add new posts while I'm editing .... then I have to edit again to respond to what they said! And sometimes I just end up deleting my post because someone else already said what I wanted to say. :blink:

I've already edited this post 4 times ..... :P

Only 4 times?  And yet you dare to call yourself an INTP?  :D

• Like 2

Once I find clothes that fit (and that can take a few weeks), I usually go back and buy 2-3 more of the same thing in different colors. Then the company goes out of business and I have to start the search all over again.... :rolleyes:

Is it appropriate to say that I do that for..uhmm..smallclothes? The ones to be worn inside?

Yeah, what is it with people who don't answer questions?  Do they find it hard, having to say "I don't know"?

You sound like Moriarty for a little bit there. :P

Then I went to another company, and when I had my first design basically ready, one of the other software engineers agreed to act as my sounding board.  I thought that session went just fine, but then later, the boss asked me what was wrong -- seems the other gal had told him that I was "having problems."  Sheesh!  After that, I just went ahead and implemented my systems as designed, without the review session.

That is weird. Just because they have different styles, they think the other style is problematic?

I find brainstorming helps as well, especially when others may have valuable inputs from different point of view.

Only 4 times? And yet you dare to call yourself an INTP? :D

Oh oh... battle of INTPs..... XD XD
  • Like 2

Once I find clothes that fit (and that can take a few weeks), I usually go back and buy 2-3 more of the same thing in different colors. Then the company goes out of business and I have to start the search all over again.... :rolleyes:

Is it appropriate to say that I do that for..uhmm..smallclothes? The ones to be worn inside?

Why not?  Underwear is the most important clothing of all.  If it doesn't suit you, you'll be uncomfortable, regardless of what outer clothing you put over it.

Why not?  Underwear is the most important clothing of all.  If it doesn't suit you, you'll be uncomfortable, regardless of what outer clothing you put over it.

That is so true.. embarassing story.

About a month ago, I was trapped, unable to fly back because there was airport closure. It lasted a few days, luckily the airline took care the passengers very well, we were put in very good hotel. However, since I was flying back, I didn't bring any clothes with me except couple of new T-shirt.

Long story short, had to do some washing as I was unable to buy anything suitable for a period of time. So I had to move around in the room in sheet and bathrobe. XD Sherlock made it look comfortable but it feels weird and make me appreciate underwear so much more.. :lol:, needless to say when I had chance to do some shopping I bought half a dozen each.

• Like 2

Initially I wanted to post it in the Personality Types thread, but somehow I think that the theme might fit better here.

http://startupbros.com/21-ways-overcome-impostor-syndrome/

That's a good article, J.P.!  For those who want to know what it's about before they bother to read it:

What is impostor syndrome? It’s feeling like an impostor when you’re not. Like you’re a fraud and the whole world is going to find you out.

I used to feel that way, until one day (when I was in my 30's) I confided to a friend that I was mostly just faking things, and he said, "Hey, don't you realize -- everybody's faking it!"  That helped a lot.

The article goes on to give examples of famous people who've expressed that same fear, plus a number of suggestions to help you avoid sabotaging your own life due to imposter syndrome.

Thanks Carol, I was in hurry and just wanted to plant the link before it disappear in the www.

I think we have discussed it somewhere - that Sherlock might feel this way too, that it's one of his little secret fears.

You're welcome.  And considering that apparently most people are secretly afraid of being unmasked as a fraud, it seems pretty reasonable to suspect Sherlock may feel that way.  He doesn't seem to let that fear paralyze him the way some people do, though.  He seems to take it more as a challenge to do better.

• Like 2

Initially I wanted to post it in the Personality Types thread, but somehow I think that the theme might fit better here.

http://startupbros.com/21-ways-overcome-impostor-syndrome/

I didn't know there is such thing, it does make me feel better reading it.

• 3 weeks later...

Was thinking again about the impact Sherlock had on me (I try again to discuss it with my only long term friend from Poland again)
This time I realized that there is no work of fiction that was "quoting" me so often - even if the quotes were about things I didn't know yet. It's like someone out there was knowing me better than I do. 

Where to start? I think with that one which was like a slap in the face:

- Alone is what I have. Alone protects me.

Then:
- (of course) All lives end, all hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

- You always feel pain. But you don't have to fear it. <- less of a personal quote - more like an advice

And the less spectacular ones:

- The noise! The people!

- Houston, we have a mistake! / PINK! <- as babbling things no one understand, because they cannot follow my inner deductions.

- Sometimes I don’t talk for days on end.

- Shut up everybody, shut up! Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe, I’m trying to think.

- Everything else (apart from the brain) is transport.

- I am the smart one. <- not saying this aloud too often though

- I am dismissive of the virtuous, unaware of the beautiful and uncomprehending in the face of the happy.

- I don’t have friends!

• Like 2

- Shut up everybody, shut up! Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe, I’m trying to think.

I know exactly what he means!  Apparently Alex doesn't function that way, so I'm forever having to (euphemism alert!) ask him to please not talk, preferably don't think, and above all, stop watching me!!!

• Like 3

- All lives end, all hearts are broken.

- You always feel pain. But you don't have to fear it.

Love these. And how true.

It's interesting that they are spoken by Mycroft and Moriarty.

The ice man and the insane one.

Do they used to be very delicate people who then build a lot of armors to protect themselves and turn to what they are?

I believe so.

Honorable mention:

Of course I'll miss dinner!There will be people! :p

But I'd make a lot of effort to be with people I enjoy being with.

Not quote, but I notice doing some of the things the characters do, just didn't realise them before:

- I open doors with palm.

- Take a deep breath before saying my piece of mind in work discussion. Normally after listening for a long time, forming a lot of counter scenarios and interupt the speaker who has been going on and on with something I thought is wrong/disagree. And counter them back in the same breath.

- also at work scenario, when people waste time back and forth discussing/arguing/unsure about some facts I would just use my phone to google and interupt the mayhem with the real facts.

- can't guess my presents but always shake them (don't give me puppy in the box :p). Really prefer to open presents away from people because it's very hard to fake my reactions, don't want to be unappreciative.

- I have habit of walking over furnitures.

- and questioning weird products to no end. (but don't have ear-hat)

• Like 3

It's interesting that they are spoken by Mycroft and Moriarty.

The ice man and the insane one.

The voice of reason and the life force. :P

But seriously, actually Jim's line is incredible true. Might even be the most wise sentence ever said in a work of fiction.

When I say that I relate to Holmesian POVs, it doesn't mean that those are necessarily right. They just resonate with my own.

It's not about being right - it's about being understood.

ETA:

The life force - or maybe the part of Sherlock's psyche that got dumped in that padded cell with other dark secrets and things that don't follow Mycroft's philosophy.

When Myc says pain of emotions is a bad thing and are to be avoided, little Sherlock tries to adopt this view. On some level though (and here comes the Jungian Shadow again) he rebells against it - but this rebellion is surpressed and "chained to the wall"

• Like 4

When I say that I relate to Holmesian POVs, it doesn't mean that those are necessarily right. They just resonate with my own.

It's not about being right - it's about being understood.

What, why?

I thought the quotes you mention are all right.

I agree with them.

Nope, my way is the only right way. :evilinside:

I have to say you get a bit of Mycroftism this Christmas, or at least Holmestism. :p
  • Like 1

Nope, my way is the only right way. :evilinside:

I have to say you get a bit of Mycroftism this Christmas, or at least Holmestism. :P

That's actually nothing new -- she's always been like that!  :tongue3:

• Like 4

Ssshh, Carol, you weren't supposed to tell them that! Remember, I'm supposed to be the sweet one...

• Like 1

Ssshh, Carol, you weren't supposed to tell them that! Remember, I'm supposed to be the sweet one...

Oh boy! Oh boy! No. No. No. NO!

My excuse of rabid behavior is to restore the balance of universe, so you have to be the kind one. Bear with it!

It's like finding that Santa is not real!

(Anyway, what is up with knowing Santa is not real=destroying childhood? XD Can't speak for others, but I was purposely told (and rub in the face) that Santa is not real and there is no use putting up sock hoping for present :lol: and my only reaction was laughed it off and moved on.

• Like 1

I don't think I was ever taught to believe in Santa.  The only gift I got from him was the year my grandmother spent the night.  I knew the gift was from her.  I was just old enough to figure that out (probably about 9 years old).  I might be a bit Sherlock like when it comes to Santa.  My son was never taught to believe in Santa but was told a bit of his history.

• Like 1