Benedict's Other Films/Plays

J.P.

Starter...  Mark - unrecognizable. His voice and the whole damn facial expression was different. :o

I'm asking myself why this movie was set in 1985/6 though.

Well, Mark Gatiss was playing the actual host of University Challenge -- which aired from 1962 to 1986.

But they have Third Star with - I suppose - Korean subtitles. Well, there are no more excuses, I'm afraid...

Just got done watching it.  Probably won't watch it again because of the emotion with it.  Very well done though.  Hoping I won't need more kleenex.

Then there's this: https://vimeo.com/58296976

Think I will watch this to get me laughing again.  Third Star was :( :'( and :cry:

• Like 1

Too long?   I didn't get that at all.

Incidentally, on every forum I have been on, I have been uniquely weird(as well as in all the other ways!) in not finding Sherlock's character that bad...

Think I will watch this to get me laughing again.  Third Star was :( :'( and :cry:

Here's part 2, in case you need it :smile: .... https://vimeo.com/58469905

• Like 1

Did it. Watched Third Star. I'm okay now, but not after a heavy sobbing into my pillows. I wonder how the cinema looked like when it was poured over unsuspecting audience.

The fact that I was circling around it long enough, afraid to touch, but collecting information, softened the hit a bit too. But I know it will get me later when my defenses are down - as did a fanfic I was warned about: Alone in the Water. I've seen the accompanying video (which, by chance, used some screencaps from Inseparable), knew what to expect, so reading wasn't too bad, but next day, on my way to work I suddenly started to sob.

Stuff like that makes me want to have "All lives end, all hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage" engraved on my tomb, should there be any. But then, the flip side is, it's good to have someone to bring you to the sea, if needed.

The cynic in me answers: having friends doesn't guarantee they will do something like this for you. Stories are wishful thinking. Normal people  are mostly let down - only the few that aren't, make it into news or books, or movies. Alone is the only thing you have in the end.

Probably I will need to watch it again, in a better quality and with subtitles. Couldn't follow the dialogues too many times, as also the sky decided to cry and heavy raindrops were hammering into my window. For now I bought the screenplay ($1,45 at wearecolony.com, they also have Little Favor) and I'm starting to read. I'm a damn masochist...

• Like 1

Oh, f***!

Feelin like I've been hit by a train.

The script is a hard one to read. Gosh, I hate the script format with the typewriter font, it makes it even harder. And I mean hard as the dialogues are somehow chaotic and you don't really get a feeling of a consistent story, or clear character definition. I mean the story itself is good, but not necessarily good written IMO.

Until the last sequence which just tears you into pieces. But, again, it might be because you still have the images of the film in your poor little head. IMO the film is ALL the cast and the cinematography.

There was a moment I literally couldn't catch a breath.

It seems there is quite a few Jims in my inner Padded Cell, and they don't like to be woken.

Okay, got to sleep now. It's almost 3PM.

Hope I won't dream about drowning.

So wearecolony.com has actual screenplays?  (Not transcripts that somebody wrote down while watching the movie?)  Interesting.

It might be just the bad picture quality, but watching those older movies of Ben, you cannot say which ones of them are older without looking at the release year. He can seem mature in those films (the amazing voice!), but sometimes you see a face of a child full of wonder (in Third Star it just breaks your heart). And I think it can also be said of the Benedict we see now.

Maybe it's the source of his charm: if you manage to stay unimpressed by his wits and talent, he gets you by your mother instinct. :P

• Like 3

Argh..have to find time and mood to watch those links..!

Don't think I know/watch others but I remember Atonement. He crept me out, maybe that is a very few small roles that makes impression to me, which is a compliment of course. Or is it the mouthstache?

With Benedict you may never know as it could plausibly be either or both.

You can get the same script online if you google it. HERE is the pure transcript, hardly edited, but it's still handy if you want to check the dialogue.

The title seem to be derived from Peter Pan's line: "second star to the right, and straight on till morning", as the line is used in the film, only it says "third star to the right" instead of second.

Is it because the 2nd star leads to somewhere nice and a better(eternal) life, whereas the Third Star leads to cancer  and death?

Is To the Ends of the World also a sad movie? The first part gives no clues.

Not in the same way. There's some tragedy, but

a happy ending.

Or maybe it makes no difference which star it is, as long as you move your backside.

Oi, did I just discovered some important truth about universe and live by just babbling away? :blink:

Possibly! :D

Aww... this is crazy. Look what I found!

Was watching some documentaries about Little Favour and they were showing work on prosthetics. As they showed casting of Ben's face (for scars and injuries) I suddenly had this funny itchy feeling. It comes when I know what will happen (or what I will see) a second or two ahead...

Left: the cast from LV, right: the mask from TEH. Creative Recycling again. thbiggrin_gold.gif

9ve566c8.jpg

• Like 3

Caught Penguins of Madagascar...

I AM IN THIS MOVIE!

bzbnyahz.png

The actress is really cute, but they got my accent a bit wrong, I think.

The rest is - of course - dead right. Intelligence and analysis - that's moi. batter.gif

How did they know?

PS: As for the Wolf - initially it was hard to recognize the voice as Ben's, but toward the end it became more distinct. And I couldn't help to imagine him doing all the funny faces as his on-screen alter ego did.

• Like 1

PS: As for the Wolf - initially it was hard to recognize the voice as Ben's, but toward the end it became more distinct. And I couldn't help to imagine him doing all the funny faces as his on-screen alter ego did.

If you get tired of just imagining that, you can see a few bits of the real thing here (and if that doesn't work, the same video is also here) and a few more bits here.

For some reason, I can't seem to embed YouTube videos tonight, but those links should work fine.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but Simon Pegg's description of working with him in Star Trek at around 3 minutes in, is so funny.

https://youtu.be/20v1OxUXcQY

• Like 3