Benedict's Other Films/Plays

J.P.

After the Parade's end I've seen Amazing Grace. Liked the movie. Liked the cast. Liked the whole bunch of different haircuts on Ben. ;) (Everything was better than that white wig :o )

I think it the movie worth seeing for the sake of the story and how it was made.

Well, when I go to that link, I see basically an ad for Wreckers, which says you can rent or buy. When I click on one of those links, it tries to sign me up.

But I also did a search under "Wreckers" and "Cumberbatch" and it didn't turn up. (??)

It's on Amazon ... does this link work for you? https://www.amazon.com/Wreckers-Claire-Foy/dp/B00D75PDMA?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Okay, so from USA it seems to work for WAC...

Amazon.com wants my Credit Card and I'm everything but willing to give them the number. I pay to Amazon.de via bank transfer.

I would rather support WAC, but can probably buy a DVD on Ebay for less.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, finished it. Really well made. I'm surprised why this haven't catapulted BC's career up to the sky. He's so good in it. From tragic to funny, certainly able to carry a leading character in presence of other great actors. He was 29 then, but looking muuuuuch younger. This can be an advantage for an actor, looking like a kid but being mature enough to understand the part.

Well, the part with Edmund falling in love with... the young lady whatwashername, seemed a bit over the top, but I assume it was all because of the concussion. :P

Couldn't help thinking - again - that this ship and her passengers was a metaphor for why I don't like people in big doses.

And folks, how tall is Charles Dance actually? He was towering over Ben like a mountain :blink:

• Like 1

And folks, how tall is Charles Dance actually? He was towering over Ben like a mountain :blink:

According to IMDb, "only" 6'3" -- and he was also in Imitation Game (as the military officer) and Starter for 10.

After thinking a bit about To the Ends, I must say the ending was a bit disappointing. First I needed help of IMDB to understand what happened to Summers,

and I would like to see how it affected Edmund. Then the sudden happy end felt stretched - if there would be anything about how she found him, it would feel more believable. I mean, India and Australia are not exactly of backyards' size, and there was no Email beside carrier pigeons.

I found an explanation of the title Third Star

In the 1953 Disney film, Peter Pan, the word ‘star’ is added to the directions Peter speaks: ‘second star to the right, and straight on till morning.’ That phrase is widely quoted, and was used again in the 1991 movie Hook. But the less said about Hook in a film blog the better.

The title THIRD STAR had arrived and was quickly signed off. The link to Peter Pan is inalienably British and subtly enforces the idea that these are Lost Boys and that in a way, James never will grow up.

Read more
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooh, I have to read more of that blog.

I loved To the Ends, I really hope I get time to watch it again someday soon. I only dimly remember the circumstances of the ending, but I don't remember being disappointed by it, so now you have me more eager than ever to see it again ... sigh. I need, like, 6 vacations a year .....

Watched The Last Enemy. Well, from all what I saw until now, this is the weakest of Ben's work. The issues with the almighty surveillance are even more actual than the filmmakers have foreseen, but story-wise it's quite confusing (lack of subtitles didn't help either). I didn't manage to care about any of the characters. And I didn't see ANY kind of chemistry between Stephen and Yasim, sorry.

What I saw though, is the actor who played Westie in TGG and this gentleman, with a quite distinctive face:

mcy7sv5i.png first image TEH, second The Last Enemy

What I also saw is a familiar looking piece of furniture.

lxfada2c.png

Cannot say 100% it is the sofa from 221B, but it is clearly a very close relative.

Also the green kitchen furniture could have been reused in Mrs Hudson's apartment.

PS: Can someone tell me what was the dialect Robert Carlyle was using? And maybe who his character actually was? Or that gunman who got fried at the fence?

I think the Carlyle character was Scottish. Or maybe it's just Mr. Carlyle who's Scottish.... :huh:

I can't help you with the rest, because I never could figure it out myself. I even looked online for an explanation but couldn't find one, just a lot of people who were as puzzled as I was.

• 2 weeks later...

Another huge disappointment. I have bought the Boleyn Girl DVD, because I thought the TV cut the movie (as they often do to put more adverts) so the William's story line has magically disappeared. But NO. They are not on the DVD either. So where the heck the two final scenes in this Youtube compilation come from? Anyone knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43ju-KqMXQ

According to IMDB "In the end, Mary lives happily ever after with William Stafford. No one explains what happened to William Carey, who she married at the beginning of the film, but he actually died of the sweating sickness. The DVD version includes Carey's illness and death in the deleted scenes."

All I can think is that you either don't have a legit version of the DVD, or later pressings didn't include the extras?

How was the film otherwise? I've only ever seen the clips you have above.

Another huge disappointment. I have bought the Boleyn Girl DVD, because I thought the TV cut the movie (as they often do to put more adverts) so the William's story line has magically disappeared. But NO. They are not on the DVD either. So where the heck the two final scenes in this Youtube compilation come from? Anyone knows?

According to IMDB "In the end, Mary lives happily ever after with William Stafford. No one explains what happened to William Carey, who she married at the beginning of the film, but he actually died of the sweating sickness. The DVD version includes Carey's illness and death in the deleted scenes."

All I can think is that you either don't have a legit version of the DVD, or later pressings didn't include the extras?

J.P., did you check the Deleted Scenes section on the DVD?

My DVD has no deleted scenes. Dang...

I'm with the people commenting on YouTube that without the end of Carey's story the film is incomplete.

The movie itself is quite good. Somewhere in the field of Elisabeth, or the Tudors. The cast is suberb.

• Like 1

According to Amazon, there have been two fairly recent adaptations of the same book (one from the BBC and the other from Sony).  I'm guessing that Mr. Cumberbatch is in the former, and the deleted scenes appear to be on the latter.  Sorry!  :(

Nope. The Sony is the version with BC. But the term deleted scenes explains it all, the end of Carey's story just didn't make it into the final movie. I just falsely assumed it was the TV station that mutilated the movie, as it happens quite often.

If you get the scenes or not depends on the DVD you buy. Mine was second hand for less than an Euro plus shipping, so it's not that bad. :)

August in Osage County. It's a first time I write: don't watch this. What a beep toxic movie about beep toxic family - compared to it Wreckers looks like a family evening feelgood movie.

You better stick with the nice singin' Little Charles clip on YouTube. It's the only nice moment in the whole thing (and almost all of Little Charles in the movie). I mean the acting is great, but... no, nothing for me. Rather one more reason not to do families.

I think I need to watch Starter for Ten again for a detox.

• Like 2

August in Osage County. It's a first time I write: don't watch this....

I must admit, from the few clips I saw, it didn't really look like my kinda movie.  Thanks for the confirmation!

Nevertheless, I can understand why Mr. Cumberbatch chose to be in it.  The character is a far cry from most of his roles -- so it was presumably an interesting job, plus it's good for his résumé.

I've watched August: Osage County once all the way through.  There is a fair amount of language in it and it describes a dysfunctional family quite well.  My favorite part is Benedict's singing.  I will eventually show it to my son so that we can then discuss dysfunctional families and some of those dynamics.  My biggest beef with that film is the language.  That is the main reason I have not shown it to him sooner.  I thought the film was done very well considering what it covers.  The acting was superb by all involved.

It is good. Probably that's the problem. But somehow I overlooked a reason why those people hate one another so much.

BTW, Lil' Charles is a really pitiful looser type when he interacts with the family, which makes the singing scene, when he seems to switch to a normal person mode, so important for the film. And BC's acting is suberb, as usual.

This -->

https://youtu.be/4CL4LNWHegk

Um.....

• Like 1