Speculation: How Did Sherlock Do It?

Banshee

Well...

I have no idea how it was done. But Sherlock asking for help is the most out of character thing in the whole episode.

Sherlock obviously knew what he was going to do. After all, he did choose the play ground.

I think that he was genuinely shocked when Moriarty killed himself, and that moment of panic was real as was his tears for John.

It clearly has something to do with Molly, the homeless network and the truck that was parked outside the hospital...

When I get hoome from my holiday, I'm going to sit and study Reichenbach.

• Like 1

The 'moment alone' might have been to text Molly, in what context I'm not sure but it would have got the ball rolling for the rest. Maybe he sent a prearraged signal to the homeless network, or Mycroft, or both. He left his phone on the roof, rather than have it smash in the 'fall'. Did he leave someone a message on it?

There is no indication when Mrs Hudson and John visit Sherlock's grave. I was wondering what the timescale was. Sherlock was well, at least he seemed uninjured. However, this might have been months afterward. The grass has settled on the grave (assuming he is buried there and not cremated and it's just a stone) so time has passed. I'm thinking that enough time passed that any damage from the fall has been healed, six months to a year maybe? So there is the possibility that he did risk injury to some extent, and recovered, possibly with Mycroft's help.

Apparently, according to both Gatiss and Moffat, some speculations on the internet are close to what happened. They both take great glee in saying it will be worth the wait and we'll have to wait until 2013 for the next series. There's a word for people like them.... restrains myself because this isn't the adult forum....

• Like 2

Apparently, according to both Gatiss and Moffat, some speculations on the internet are close to what happened. They both take great glee in saying it will be worth the wait and we'll have to wait until 2013 for the next series. There's a word for people like them.... restrains myself because this isn't the adult forum....

^ epic trolls? XP

Edited by Lirael

Everyone has such interesting theories. This one, however, has stuck with me and hit on a few details that I definitely missed.. :)

http://melissmine.tu...faked-his-death

HAHA, their Tumblr is so funny, especially all the swearing...They're forgetting that Sherlock shook hands with two other people in that episode though - the two assasins who both got shot after shaking Sherlock's hand. Honest to God, first time I saw Reichenbach I expected someone to shoot Moriarty for some reason....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i have actually a theory too:

It could be that he has pushed Moriarty from the building and beause we see the scene from John's point of view, (and he was hit by a bicycle) it could be that John didn't understand that it was moriarty and thought it was Sherlock.

But there is the problem that everyone else said that it was Sherlock too , who died, that's the problem...

Hum, I think it looked pretty clear it was Sherlock that jumped...unless he put a mask and his clothes on Moriarty's corpse and pushed him...oh hey! That could happen, right?

We don't know how long it was from Moriarty shooting himself to John arriving. In fact the entire episode of 'The Reichenbach Fall' takes place over 2 months and just feels like it is one rushy ADHD injection of action.

Sherlock could have swapped clothes and fooled John that way - but I think that's a bit cheap. Sherlock has gone into hiding for a reason, his reputation means nothing to him and so it is either for John, Mrs Hudson and Lestrade's well being or it is to investigate something without the pressure of people knowing he's investigating. There's more afoot and I think that's what will become apparent in series 3.

Of course it's all guesswork - but it is fun to speculate.

-m0r

The crucial time is the time when John loses sight of him. We, the viewers, do not see the whole of the fall, I think that is important. We see him jump, and we see... sombody who looks like Sherlock hit the floor. John feels for the radial pusle - the one in the wrist - but that is the first to fade. You sometimes cannot feel the wrist pulse of a casualty. That's why you don't bother with it in emergency first aid. Always go for the pulse at the neck, it's an arterial pulse and is the strongest. The posibility is that he did fall, but something unknown broke it part way down. He may have been injured but not fatally. After all, Sherlock is genius with probabilities. Injury is better than death and Sherlock would probably have risked injury which he knew he could recover from. All it would take is Molly to change his name for him, get him admitted under another name as a patient and change a dead body to Sherlock's name. Who ID-ed the body? Molly? Mycroft? Maybe he texted Molly about what he was going to do. That gurney appeared pretty quickly after the fall. Was she ready for him? Doubtless we'll find out in a year... sob... a whole year....

It's definitely Sherlock jumping off the roof, or at least someone alive. A dead body just wouldn't fall in that way.

That's pretty much the feeling I got watching it, a dead body would pretty much fall like a sack of potatoes. Not what we saw at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Though I myself have theories of the situation (i will post them later) I have to say one thing.

I keep looking that the "dead Sherlock'"... his face.. that couple of seconds we have of that face that is all bloodied before he is wheeled away.. i cant help but think something isn't right.. like i keep staring into his eyes in hopes of finding something but to no avale. *ponders*

• Like 1

I have my possible theories in regard to Sherlock’s supposive death jump. Though many people seem to have it figured out, I want to bring up some points before people start with saying that they have it all figured out.

First off, the most common theory (written in basic terminology):

Sherlock used the dummy from the beginning of the episode as a duplicate of him self. He fell off the roof and landed in a ‘truck’ of some sort and tossed the body over and used fake blood. He had to trick Watson so he could trick the assassin (sense he had very lil knowledge of where the assassin could be). Watson was hit by the biker so that he could have time to prepare the dummy.

Now for my two cents:

I have every reason to believe that it could be this very theory that I have just stated. However I have a few bones to pick with this possible theory.

-First off he didn’t ‘jump’. He stepped off. He fell straight down. The truck is not right under the him. He would have to push off in hopes that he would reach the truck in time.

- Second off (in regards to the assassins) only 3 are accounted for. The supposive female assassin was never scene again in the episode after Mycroft shows the pictures to Watson.

How would the other two assassins have known that Sherlock jumped? There is no sign of a commutative device that the sniper could have used to communicate to the other assassins to call them off.

-Third, take note that after Moriarty ‘shot himself’. More on this in a bit… Sherlock raises his hand to his hair.. Like he is grabbing something?

-Fourth, Moriarty may be still alive? I know this one makes very lil sense but the only thing I can think of is that if a gun is put into your mouth and the trigger is pulled wouldn’t there be more … gore? Blood spatter? Brain explosion? There are rumors that Andrew Scott (Moriarty) will not be making a return. If not then pretty obvious that Moriarty is indeed gone. If not well then … who knows at that point.

-Fifth, other things to consider:

-Remember the digit code that was talked about all episode… well…

http://thatswhatgeeksdo.tumblr.com/post/15748348866/so-this-code-was-in-the-teasers-for-the-reichenbach

-The one thing Moffat mentioned in a tweet.. Something that we all missed in regards to the way Sherlock was acting.. Well.. (two links this time.)

http://whumpresource.tumblr.com/post/16391365481/sherlock-theory

And

http://qthebadwolf.livejournal.com/9229.html

-Watson was wearing an Ear Piece?

- Mrs. Hudson was … kidnapped?

http://mutley2.tumblr.com/post/16727362243/who-kidnapped-mrs-hudson-you-know-i-am-the

-for you too look as well..

http://sherlock-theories.tumblr.com/

I hope the links work.. Just copy and paste I suppose.. That is all I have to say for the moment. Hopefully you all understand what I am trying to get at!

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

I too have many wild theories, some of you may have seen the one about Moriarty's identity, but they are too numerous to mention. I will say, however, that it could be possible for Sherlock to have planned the diversions--the bicycle, and I believe a lorry may have driven by as well. This could have been planned so that John couldn't see everything.

It's obvious....

All down to Aliens. Or Torchwood. *ahem*

• Like 1

It's obvious....

All down to Aliens. Or Torchwood. *ahem*

Oh come now, it was all far too well organised for Torchwood! :rofl:

• Like 2

I quite like the rhododendron ponticum theory :D And I DID wonder why the newscast never mentioned Moriarty being dead. "Why didn't the dog bark", you know?

Also, if you google map the route from Baker Street to St. Bart's, it's at least 14 minutes (without traffic). That means that it was at least half an hour between John leaving and returning to St. Bart's. I think there was a time lapse (at least 10 minutes) between Moriarty killing himself and John coming back to the hospital. Would that have been enough time for Sherlock to get rid of Moriarty's body, maybe even use it as the bloody decoy on the ground?

far too well organised for Torchwood!

True.

Not for the Doctor, though.

Also True. And I don't think River Song could resist poking her nose in either.

Also, for some reason a giant, squishy, invisible cushion-like alien might have taken pity and wanted to give Sherlock a soft landing. Maybe MOLLY is an alien and has contacts...

I definitely agree with all who say Molly had a part to play in his fake death. We all can see who really matters in Sherlocks life because Moriarty only had assasins standing by to kill John, Mrs. Hudson and Lestrade, the only 3 people he truely cares about. This shows that Sherlock was lying to Molly when he said that she "always counted", which is very out of the ordinary because Sherlock always manipulates Molly into getting what he wants. The very fact that she does autopsies means she has the knowledge and ability to say that he is truely dead. Molly knows that Sherlock manipulates her, she isnt that ditsy, but she doesn't care as long as she gets some sort of attention from him, this gives her the motive to do it for him. I only wish we could have seen the actual funeral go on that way we could see if she was even there and if so how she was acting.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the ball is a red haring. 1. When John goes in saying Mrs. Hudson was shot Sherlock has his feet up. You can see dirt on his feet or mud. Later in the episode you'll see the same dirt but moved to the front. Why? 2. Moriarty dead on roof A. Firstly this was never reported anywhere that moriarty died. second there's a ledge connecting the buildings. When Sherlock looks down it different from the building he actually jumps from. Maybe an ode to the cannon where Holmes says to John he escapes Moran by crossing a ledge on the cliff he's on. Still not sure why jim wasn't found though. So he's not even on the building he jumps from. 3. when he jumps his coat has been closed this whole time. You can't see what shirt he's wearing, until he jumps. You see white. A white shirt flapping out of the lower buttons of the coat. John sees Sherlock on the ground. Now he's facing sideways how is that possible? No idea. But he's PERFECTLY sideways, AND there's no blood on his face YET. He goes forward and then gets hit. When he gets back up we see a pair of people walking behind john to a van carrying what looks like a jar. (one person has the jar the other is ahead of that person, Sherlock keeps things in Jars....Like a head. Maybe he didn't get a whole body I don't know. ANYWAY (Sorry) John turns him over now 'Sherlock' has blood and his coat is fully open and he has a PURPLE shirt. John is then pushed away after checking a for a pulse. Now after he's on the stretch and going into the hospital freeze the picture. 1. Sherlock has 0 blood and if you watch and freeze it again one of the doctors tries to cover his face. My question is when did he preform THAT switch?

Vote for the 'out of character' moment: Holmes' request for a "moment of privacy" at the edge of the rooftop....Seems an ideal moment to signal any compatriots, and it seems extremely odd for Holmes to ask for such a thing.

Yes! For sure. That and the crying, which could have been partially real and partially faked for Moriarty. But maybe crying got him an excuse to ask for "a moment." Nice call!

Oh wow I will have to check for the white to purple shirt change. That is very interesting.

I also really like the Rhodendron theory!

I think the homeless network were in on it for sure, and maybe one of them stuck Sherlock with a hypodermic needle after he fell with something to slow his heartrate... The biker hitting John and evening possibly concussing him is key because he is very out of it and also going into emotional shock. Obviously Molly was involved too. I think it was definitely Sherlock who jumped, and he was hurt. Maybe he had padding or something. But it's not a dummy and it's definitely his blue/slate eyes, not Moriarty. I think they had already picked out a deceased body double for him earlier, and Mycroft probably ID'ed the body.

So I have been mad at Mycroft this whole time- but it does make perfect sense now that he is involved. No sheet Sherlock!! :facepalm: