Banshee

Speculation: How Did Sherlock Do It?

In all the other episodes, I've found that on watching them again with the solution to the cases in mind, the clues are all fairly conspicuous and there are usually camera shots and / or bits of dialogue that draw attention to them....

I don't think it was all that obvious in "Hounds," though.  Yes, the clue was there (Frankland coming out of the Leaky Pipe Room wearing a gas mask), but hardly conspicuous (on screen for only a second, with the identifying sign well in the background).  Near as I recall, the only attention drawn to it was Sherlock making what appeared to be a wild guess at the end.

But since the perpetrator in "Reichenbach" is Sherlock himself, perhaps the clues are more -- poetic.

The clue to the room is really hard to spot, you have a point there. But we do see John inspect some leaky pipes later, so when Sherlock makes his "wild guess" at the end, we can remember that scene and, as always, marvel at Sherlock's insight. My only problem there was, before I knew that Frankland had come out of that room with a mask on, that I didn't understand why those pipes were supposed to be leaking that gas of all things.

In The Reichenbach Fall, there were so many shots where I thought "they must be showing us that for a reason", but I can't fathom it and I can't put them together.

I keep thinking the person who actually kidnapped the children must be important in some way. Isn't it kind of odd that Sherlock didn't try to find him? Surely producing the real criminal would be the most effective way to counter the accusations made at Sherlock himself. And Sherlock deduced a lot about his physique from the footprints (I still think it's odd that he didn't elaborate on those findings out loud, but perhaps that would have made the scene too long). It's pretty improbable that Moriarty did the kidnapping himself. He doesn't usually get involved directly.

1)      While waiting in one of Bart’s labs with Watson prior to the roof scene, Sherlock is shown with his feet planted well and truly on the desk. An unusual pose for him, but it does put on view for a brief moment one aspect of his clothing. His shoes.  Also when he stands you can clearly see that they are secured with quite visible laces. When he appears on the roof with to meet Moriarty his shoes are different.  Laces not to be seen and the heel appear to be deeper. Why would he change shoes?

2)      He confronts Moriarty and while in doing so they both appear to look on the edge of the roof down to the street below. The next shot in the film shows a street scene from above (the area where ‘Sherlock’ hits the pavement) but this does not necessary mean it is the view that Sherlock and Moriarty are seeing. 

3)      After a discussion with Moriarty, Sherlock stands right of the edge of the roof where he is standing facing outwards with Moriarty still talking to him with head level at Sherlock’s elbow. The next shot is from street level looking up at the corner of Bart’s and we see a lone figure, dressed as Sherlock, on the edge of the roof. No sign of Moriarty anywhere near him or to be seen. 

4)      The buildings in the background where Sherlock and Moriarty are standing would not be seen from the position of the lone figure on the corner of Bart’s roof.  From this you conclude that they are on a different part of the roof from the lone figure. This can be confirmed by comparing positions and backgrounds on Google earth and Google street view.

Well, the shoes could have been just an error caused by filming. I've never noticed it though. And for the rest of your points... I just don't know. I've never noticed any of it either. But it seems to me like another filming error. But who knows, maybe you're right. We will see very soon :)

These guys do not make filming errors, they check every scene, every frame. Just over one hour to go 

Exciting isn't it? :welcome: to Sherlock Forum by the way!

Even though I'm sure you won't post The Answer on this thread, let me just say that the difference you've noticed in building locations is real, and not a filming error -- but it's probably what one might call a filming artifact.  Sherlock's rooftop scenes with Moriarty were filming on one building, and Sherlock's conversation with John was filmed on a different building.  This was done because neither building had everything they needed for the filming.  Moftiss mentions this in the Series 2 DVD documentary.

The shoes, though -- that's interesting....

Carol - thanks for that. I have not seen the dvd documentary, but will have a look. At least it seems I was right about the different backgrounds. For such a major plot line I would have thought they could have got round that issue of filming. 

Without the change of backgrounds I would have agreed with the majority of other theories on how he did it. Still great to have him back and on fine form.  

Icon-Hazard.pngModerator Warning:  

Please note:

I know it's tempting to celebrate that your theories were correct (or bemoan that they were not), and that's fine.  But this is not the place!

If you've already seen "The Empty Hearse," and you want to post a followup to a theory you posted here, please do it on the "Empty Hearse" thread.  You can include a quote from this thread, if you like.

Any spoilers posted here will be removed.

• Like 1

Carol - thanks for that. I have not seen the dvd documentary, but will have a look. At least it seems I was right about the different backgrounds.

Yes, you have sharp eyes!  I was too distracted by what was happening on the roof and/or willing to believe that the differences were merely due to different camera angles.