Doing The Math

CSIBakerStreet

It's ok, Sherlock. Knowing about how much you dislike celebrations of any sort. Take that Christmas party for instance it's understandable that you would delete it.

It's ok, Sherlock. Knowing about how much you dislike celebrations of any sort. Take that Christmas party for instance it's understandable that you would delete it.

Why on Earth would I delete THAT?

• 3 months later...

I've got ANOTHER one. Bit more like one of those complex math problems you'd get in school. And I'd like some help from the rest of you. If you wouldn't mind. This is to do with The Great Game, as John is prone to titling it on his blog.

The first case, I am given 12 hours to solve it or the victim would be blown up.

I solve it in 9.

This means that I solve it 3 hours after receiving it.

Lestrade mentioned that the victim lived in Cornwall. It takes 5 hours to get from London to Cornwall.

It's highly unlikely that the masked men who attacked the victim would have asked her to drive 5 hours to a London car park.

And remember, she gave me her location when I solved the case. Which I then gave to Lestrade, who then gave it to the whole of Scotland Yard.

This means that they would have been the ones who had to go 5 hours to the car park in Cornwall, leaving the victim inside the car for 4 hours.

UNLESS she worked in London and lived in Cornwall, but I doubt that very likely. Driving 5 hours back and forth would be rather tedious.

If there's anything you think I've got wrong, don't hesitate to tell me and I'm also slightly wondering where exactly the logic is in this, if one of you can figure that out, I will be exceedingly grateful.

Thank you. All this brainwork has taxed me tremendously. I apologize in advance, John.

tumblr_mdk85i6fIM1qmdkcso1_500.gif

I swear, next time I will throw the damned thing in the river!

Anyway to get on with this little problem. Could it be that she lived in Cornwall, worked in London, but because of the 5 hour drive time, held a flat in London near her work, and drove home to Cornwall on the weekends?

Or (and the most likely) she happened to be in London. She's from Cornwall, okay? She probably doesn't know how to act and get around in London very well, and was seen as a good target. 

I've got ANOTHER one. Bit more like one of those complex math problems you'd get in school. And I'd like some help from the rest of you. If you wouldn't mind. This is to do with The Great Game, as John is prone to titling it on his blog.

The first case, I am given 12 hours to solve it or the victim would be blown up.

I solve it in 9.

This means that I solve it 3 hours after receiving it.

Forget Cornwall, I'm still trying to figure this out.  If there are 12 hours to solve and it is solved in 9, then it is solved 9 hours after it was received.    Three hours before the deadline.  The bombs don't go off on a timer, they are detonated by the snipers, hence those cool red laser dots boy writers are so fond of using.

As to the rest: victims are "from" places.  There's no background here, no time they were  kidnapped, nothing.  For all we know Moriarty transports them all to Scotland.  Where they also have yards. I also think all locales will have their own law enforcement.  They have telephones.  Or mobiles.  They need them to get messages when they are all out in their yards.

Cornwall: Let's say she's actually in Cornwall.  Let's say Lestrade is going to  take his bomb squad to get her personally.  I'd take a chopper, if it were me.  But it doesn't matter, because she isn't going to be detonated.  I bet she really has to use the bathroom, though.  Yeah.  Definitely a chopper.

tumblr_mrngk23zGV1rf1tzmo1_250.jpg