Greetings, fellow Detectives, Doctors, ladies and gentlemen

ACD221B

Hi guys. :)

I am not entirely sure what to do upon registering, so I figured I'd just say hi over here. Well. Hello.

What do I do next?

It'll be so awesome to meet you all, and start my new career in deductions and crime-solving!

Looking forward to seeing you,

ACD221B

:wave:

Hi, ACD221B -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

What you do next is, check out some of the conversations here and join in on whatever you find interesting.  Oh, and have fun!

Hi ACD221B, I believe there is a doppelganger with your avatar here, don't think it's a problem though.

What you can do next, go down to Moffiss's houses and breathe down their necks to speed up the writing.

No?

Okay. Or come out and play. Bart's rooftop. Falling is just...

No?

Hmmmmppppphhh, okay okay..

Just a regular normal greeting then..

Afganistan or Iraq?

• Like 4

Hi ACD221B, I believe there is a doppelganger with your avatar here, don't think it's a problem though.

What you can do next, go down to Moffiss's houses and breathe down their necks to speed up the writing.

No?

No?

Afganistan or Iraq?

Middle Earth. :lol2:

Sorry, couldn't help it. Its nice to meet you! And I'll get right on my avatar - its kinda boring anyways. ;)  Any ideas on what I could replace it with? Sherlock based, of course. Something different that nobody else has. Should be easy! :facepalm:

Hope to start a long and successful friendship! Who's going to be who's blogger? :lol:

ACD221B

Hi, ACD221B -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

What you do next is, check out some of the conversations here and join in on whatever you find interesting.  Oh, and have fun!

Hello, Carol! (Typed like an idiot - almost called you Carlo. :blink: :facepalm: )

Thank you for your kind words of welcome - I've never actually been very active in a forum before. Hence the complete lack of what-to-do-next.

How do you go up in the Detective ranks? Do you have to post a lot, or have a load of likes, or what?

Thanks for your help,

ACD221B

Welcome, ACD! Glad to have you! Don't mind Van Buren, she's just had too much caffeine today. :P

Yes, you go up in the ranks by posting. If you go high enough you get to order everyone around. NOT! :D

I'd never been on a forum either before I joined this one, so I know the feeling ... but yeah, just find a conversation that interests you and jump in. If you haven't already done so, may I suggest you check out the latest on the upcoming special episode? Which I was going to link to, but the link function doesn't seem to be working... hmmmm. But you'll find it if you click on the "Forums" link, somewhere above, and scroll down to "BBC Sherlock". Right now we're having a riveting discussion about Dr. Watson's mustache. :p

And don't worry about bringing up an old topic, many of us are happy to revisit them!

• Like 2

Welcome, ACD! Glad to have you! Don't mind Van Buren, she's just had too much caffeine today. :P

Yes, you go up in the ranks by posting. If you go high enough you get to order everyone around. NOT! :D

I'd never been on a forum either before I joined this one, so I know the feeling ... but yeah, just find a conversation that interests you and jump in. If you haven't already done so, may I suggest you check out the latest on the upcoming special episode? Which I was going to link to, but the link function doesn't seem to be working... hmmmm. But you'll find it if you click on the "Forums" link, somewhere above, and scroll down to "BBC Sherlock". Right now we're having a riveting discussion about Dr. Watson's mustache. :P

And don't worry about bringing up an old topic, many of us are happy to revisit them!

Thank you so much to all of you. The welcoming atmosphere is AMAZING! :D I hope I get to a Consulting Detective one day. ;)

I am jumping in right now. Can't wait!

ACD221B

Yay! Go for it!

I've gone for it. :)

Can I ask your help with something?

I need a new avatar, because somebody else already has it, and I can't decide on a really cool quote to put as my signature. What do you suggest? :) ;) 

Oh, wow. I like your avatar, but I guess you don't want to go around looking like somebody else, do you? :smile: I don't know of any specific source of images; when I want an image, I just google "Sherlock" and grab what I like. Who's your favorite character? Maybe that's a good place to start.

For quotes, how about "I'm your landlady, not a plot device!" :D

• Like 1

Oh, wow. I like your avatar, but I guess you don't want to go around looking like somebody else, do you? :smile: I don't know of any specific source of images; when I want an image, I just google "Sherlock" and grab what I like. Who's your favorite character? Maybe that's a good place to start.

Right!  I went on Google Images just now and searched on each of the following:

Sherlock avatar

"John Watson" avatar

"Molly Hooper" avatar

Lestrade avatar

"Mrs. Hudson" avatar

... and they each came up with some appealing images. Most were too big (though many could easily be cropped with any image-processing software), and some of them are already in use here.  But there were still several good ones to chose from.

And it'd be kinda neat to have your quote match your avatar.

To both Arcadia and Carol. THANK YOU! Oodles of big squishy hugs. I haven't felt so welcome anywhere in my life. By the way: I FOUND A PERFECT AVATAR!!! Unless, of course, its taken. :) Also, Arcadia, I used the quote you suggested. (It was that or 'Prolonged exposure drove them insane. XP)

Thanks again, you two!

ACD221B

P.S. I was thinking of posting a thread where I can take fanfic prompts/proposals from the community. I'm an amateur writer and have been kinda dormant recently, what with two family tragedies in the past year. Anyhoo, I'd really like to start writing again, as practice, and would be willing to fill out fanfic prompts. I do write ships, but don't have any of my own. I am proudly ship-free! ;P I'll write anything, except smut. Where would I post this, would I be allowed to, and do you think it'd work? Thanks for helping a newbie out.

'B

• Like 1

Hey, ACD221B, that is indeed a great avatar picture.  I couldn't quite read the text on it till I loaded your profile page.  (For anyone else with less-than-optimal visual conditions, it says "I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-idiot.")  And no, I don't recall seeing it before.

The thread you describe sounds interesting but somewhat familiar.  Hang on a sec -- yup, here's what I was thinking of.  If that's the sort of thing you have in mind, you may feel free to resuscitate that existing thread (and bring it back on-topic in the process), or you may start a fresh thread (in the same subforum), whichever you prefer.

Me likey! One of these days I should get me a Sherlocked-themed one, I suppose -- except the one I have still amuses me, so.....

Me likey! One of these days I should get me a Sherlocked-themed [avatar], I suppose -- except the one I have still amuses me, so.....

And it's distinctive!  I find you far easier to recognize that some of the myriad Sherlocks.  (Though a number of people, including ACD221B, have done an admirable job of finding distinctive Sherlock avatars.)

I look like that in real life too, so it's convenient... :p

• Like 1

That'll make it easy if we ever meet, then.  You just look for the duck, and I'll look for the -- whatever!

No?

No?

Afganistan or Iraq?

I just found out ... There's another word that you English speeking dudes copied from German:

Doppelganger!

That's so fun actually... In German it's Doppelgänger!

This other word is kindergarten.

• Like 1

That'll make it easy if we ever meet, then.  You just look for the duck, and I'll look for the -- whatever!

As long as we don't meet near a pond. :P

Actually, that sounds like the ideal place for us to meet.  You can cast your shadow on the sand so I'll recognize you, and then I can paddle over to join you.

There's another word that you English speeking dudes copied from German:

Doppelganger!

That's so fun actually... In German it's Doppelgänger!

This other word is kindergarten.

There are lots of German words in English.  In fact, if you go back far enough (say, a thousand years), English is just a dialect of German.  But we've borrowed a lot of words more recently too.  Lemme think.  Even avoiding technical terms, there's sauerkraut, bratwurst -- umm, this is kinda hard because many borrowed words have become so common that I don't tend to think of them as German.  Maybe other people can mention more.

• Like 2

Sauerkraut is a food sent from heaven.    :wub:

I found this list of German words that we use in English:

http://german.about.com/library/blvoc_gerloan.htm

• Like 1

I found this list of German words that we use in English:

http://german.about.com/library/blvoc_gerloan.htm

Some of those are what I would call technical terms, so the average English speaker might not know them.  And some are "German" only in the sense that an invention was named for its inventor, who was German, or for its place of origin, which was a city in Germany.  And some probably came in through Yiddish, rather than directly from German.

But yeah, an interesting list: angst, strudel, dachshund, -fest, gesundheit, hamster, poltergeist, waltz -- among others.

Who's going to be who's blogger? :lol:

Since you write fan-fic, of course it's you! I blabber nonsense with or without caffeine, and my grammar is terrifying disaster for some.

Anyway, I really like your avatar. On my latest TRF rewatch, I notice Sherlock's back, a lot.

Love his back. Sounds weird.

Let me rephrase it: I love him back. :p

And I thought your caption I'm not anti-social. I am anti-idiot is great signature.

Me likey! One of these days I should get me a Sherlocked-themed one, I suppose -- except the one I have still amuses me, so.....

Eh...eh.. how will I recognize you without that..fuzzy...spiky..thing?

As long as we don't meet near a pond. :p

Don't worry. Carol is not amphibian! XD

But seriously, what Sherlock avatar if you guys have to choose one?

I really like what I have now, but I remember for a day, just to kick start I chose this 1zb9zcz.jpg

as I am as pissed-off as Sherlock with that CIA Agent.

And the first quote that really strike my cord is sentiment is a chemical defect found on the losing side. Gloomy but so much truth in it.

• Like 1