The Three Garridebs

softmachine

I was reading this last night, and thought, "even in the later/lesser cases there are so many lovely little details".... that make any tale, no matter how weak the actual detective/mystery plot might be, rise above its station.

Even Watson gets the fake ad straight away, and that Killer Evans is trying to lure little Mr Garrideb away from his house becomes clear quite quickly. So this should be a fairly weak story in anyone's eyes..... but!!!.......

We have nice little bits of continuity, e.g the reference to Holmes' always reading the wanted ads and the gossip columns of newspapers; Holmes being an action hero; some rare words of appreciation for Scotland yard; and of course THAT scene where Holmes thinks Watson may have been wounded.

Bonus points for "it's only a flesh wound" sounding like something from Monty Python and The Holy Grail :)

• Like 2

I don't suppose that "It's only a flesh wound" started as a cliche, but it sure has become one, at least in the movies!  I used to think it meant literally "just a scratch," but as I understand it now, it actually refers to a wound affecting only skin and muscle (rather than breaking bones and/or puncturing internal organs, which would be much more serious).

I agree, this story (somewhat like the Sherlock episode "Blind Banker") has some nice little scenes, despite its weak plot.  It's really a shame that Jeremy Brett was too ill to appear in the adaptation.  Charles Gray was a fine stand-in as Mycroft, but of course they had to shortchange "that scene," since it would have been out of character for him to react as his brother did in the story.

• Like 2

Oh I really like that story (even if it's not one of my favourite) because Sherlock looks worried for his friend Watson. I think that's one of the rare cases in which we can see a sensitive and human Sherlock, who cares about his friend :)

• Like 1

Oh I really like that story (even if it's not one of my favourite) because Sherlock looks worried for his friend Watson. I think that's one of the rare cases in which we can see a sensitive and human Sherlock, who cares about his friend :)

absolutely. Isn't it wonderful? :)