Oh, but we need our teddy bear moderator kept in a good mood, since Mrs Watson is appearing in the second episode as well, so being licked by CAM is on a par with THAT yucky feeling!

• Like 1

Part of it, though, is that I think the torture scene that we saw on screen is it.  That intro bumper where we see the infrared cameras tracking Sherlock as he gets taken down and captured by the Serbians tells me that Mycroft was keeping a pretty close eye on things while Sherlock was acting as an "agent," and he did, indeed, swoop in when Sherlock was in trouble.  So I personally think there were two years where Sherlock might have been in danger and sleeping rough and not necessarily enjoying himself, but he was safe.  And then there were a couple of days where he was captured and tortured until Mycroft showed up.  

So, I think there's a lot less there that would actually be traumatic for him.  As Arcadia pointed out elsewhere, he's Sherlock F'n Holmes. He's tough.  He can take it.

I have always thought the same thing ... he's captured, and Mycroft rides to the rescue a day or two later. I mean, he still looked pretty dang healthy, just a bit battered. But not like he'd been suffering for weeks or something.

It hadn't occurred to me before that Mycroft must have been surveilling Sherlock all along, but that does make sense, doesn't it? In this case I'm glad, but I have to admit ... I still think it diminishes Sherlock to have Big Brother always on the lookout for him. I guess it says something about their relationship, but it also robs Sherlock of a certain amount of ... maturity, I guess. Maybe that's the point? But it still bugs me.

To me, that scene is the exception that proves the rule on Mycroft.  We have been talking over on the "Tired Tropes in Fan Fiction" thread about the way Mycroft is portrayed as always surveilling and micromanaging Sherlock's life.  I think that, in general, he is not becuase if he really were tailing Sherlock's every move, it would look like the beginning of TEH!  If Mycroft really wants Sherlock on "alpha one alpha observation" or whatever he would call it, he would definitely have him tagged and followed and know his every move.  He has reason to do so in this case; he may be Sherlock's only contact and lifeline if something goes wrong.  I think under normal conditions, Mycroft keeps a "weather eye" on things, perhaps enough to warn John that he thinks its a danger night, but not enough to swoop in and save Sherlock from himself at every turn.

• Like 2

I also take the torture scene just what it is, without any serious impact for Sherlock, based on multiple reasons:

1. I would put John's army experience as different category with Sherlock's. It is true, somewhat, that you feel more psychological pain and trauma when you see people you care about being hurt than being hurt yourself. John must have seen a lot of that in the battlefield, with his fellow soldiers who could be his friends or at least people he wants to protect. I would say it is less scary to face danger alone than having people you care about on your side facing the same danger. A lousy example is, when I am flying alone, I don't really care about any whatever bloody turbulence and stay relax. But if I am flying with loved ones, I hardly able to sleep properly when the journey is not smooth and worried constantly about the well being of them. It also applies when facing other dangerous situation like going to unsafe places or getting your way out of undesirable situations.

So Sherlock's experience is less traumatic imho. He is by himself, he knows what he is capable of and doesn't need to worry or pressured by other's safety.

2. Sherlock treats everything else as 'transport'. He can handle physical pains and punches. He probably doesn't care at all. All the while his mind is running, deducing the torturer accurately and of course, the guy in the corner.

Sherlock also spends time studying human body. He knows exactly what he was facing. Alright, a couple of skin breakage probably up to dermis layer, type of bruises that would form and how long it would heal, how his brain and body would react by sending pain signal or releasing certain hormone, or maybe, grunting helps with pain management and also position and angle that minimize the blow and pressure. It's the calculated risk he takes.

*And I believe he prevents himself from being hit with the metal pipe, at that moment he starts deducing the torturer stops, and he had just picked up that pipe.

3. This could be part of his plan. He says this is the last of Moriarty's network, probably a layer that is very difficult to get in, unless it's a decoy, allowing capture to really get into the real center faster. Pretend to be deceived to deceive.

He doesn't really run like Sherlock, and he runs in what appears to be straight line that is not very good for avoiding trailing and Sherlock would find a way to resist capture or at least a fight even at gunpoint instead of just giving up. I like to think that he could also have couple of tricks to get him out of that situation later; something hidden in his hair, cargo pants or hidden in his weird standing position. Maybe he gets more credit from me, well, he is my hero too.

As for Mycroft, I think Mycroft has set up a couple of safe houses and check points for Sherlock to replenish resources or as aid points during his 'death', but I can see Sherlock doesn't give a rat a** and ignores it, well, because, it's Sherlock and Mycroft.

Mycroft also has to meddle in at the last point because, yes, I believe he wants to make sure his brother is okay, this could be the most dangerous point, but also, he has to get Sherlock back to London. Sending someone else to persuade Sherlock will ensure it doesn't happen. Because, they are Sherlock and Mycroft.

So yah, to me, the scene goes as far as that. Of course I don't want to see Sherlock being hurt, but from reasons above, I think it's just some moments of inconvenience for him.

Yep. All that.

Yes, it is my fault. I know. I'm a horrible person.

smiley-sad043.gif

Gosh.. she is shedding wings. Are you going to the other side? You sure? Okay then.. I just hope you are sure because take a look again,

this is your new side:

vrzskz.jpg

:sick:

This is the side you want to leave behind:

2mqovsx.jpg

:wub:

Okay, okay, I'll look for some superglue. Later. Right now I have to drive through our 17th-day-in-a-row of rain to teach a class. :(

• Like 3

Have you heard they've turned the third floor of Cardiff's student union into a children's hospital ward for filming!

• Like 1

No I haven't! Hmmmmm.... how old does a child have to be to be in the children's ward? :smile:

Generally after leaving the maternity wing up to 16 years of age, although some non-NHS wards go up to 18 years of age.

There are some hilarious tweets from Cardiff uni students, one was going to study and rounded a corner to find themselves face to face with BC (with photo evidence to prove it!)

• Like 4

Generally after leaving the maternity wing up to 16 years of age, although some non-NHS wards go up to 18 years of age.

Yes, but what I mean is ... at what age do they stop going to the maternity wing and go to the children's wing instead? I would think they'd get post natal care in the maternity wing for at least a few months, wouldn't they? But maybe not.