Introverts, how is your day?

Sure, when I typed he was sweeping the gutter in the street outside his house. To be clear, not within the garden walls of his property, not even the pavement outside his property, the actual gutter on the road. 

• Confused 1

Hey, if he were truly finicky, he'd sweep to the center of the road!  If he were obsessive-compulsive, he'd sweep the whole road and maybe your sidewalk too.

I'd say he's merely *kinda* finicky.  Count your blessings!  ;)

It's a main road mind, as in cars going past pretty often. It's not a quite little side street. I know he's not OCD, I'm more OCD than him (pretty sure I genuinely am, given the amount of 'rituals' I have to do on a daily basis, it's exhausting), but I'd firmly put him in finicky... I think he's just one of those old guys that has nothing to do except potter about, and when he's done all the pottering he can in the garden he emerges from the gates to potter outside. I wish I could catch him in a kind of man-sized cat carrier and release him into my house to clean whilst I'm at work. 

• Haha 2

That would be my dad. If it touched his property, it got "maintained."

• Like 1

Just made my first mayonnaise from scratch. A little bit sharp but not bad for a first attempt. 😊

• Like 2

Actually I always admire the diligence of older generation. My parents never relax when things are not in order and they always find something to keep them busy. Never get up of bed late or lounging around.

Anyway, I got to reject plans with reason 'I want to hang out with my dog' :P . Honesty is the best policy.

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
White or light-colored text is basically invisible against the white background of certain forum themes.
  • Like 3

Airshow weekend, and an extra quarter of a million people descend upon my city. An introvert's nightmare. Luckily I don't intend to leave the house and shall be safely tucked away.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

How about this introvert's nightmare: big family party today and I couldn't sneak out Sherlock style because I was hosting it? 

Seriously, I am glad it's over. It was nice and all but I am utterly spent. All I want now is to order something deep fried for dinner and husband wonders how I can even think of food but I haven't eaten properly since breakfast and am dehydrated too. A buffet is all fine and well but not for the person hurrying about trying to make sure that all the guests are comfortable when she knows that one has a terrible backache, one just got her, uh, red week and didn't come prepared for that, two others must be kept apart at all costs and everyone is getting a sunburn. 

I think that once I have mustered the energy to get off the sofa, I will make myself some onion rings. And I don't want to speak another word until Monday. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well then I'll wait till Monday to ask why you invited them -- assuming they didn't just turn up at your door demanding to be fed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Well then I'll wait till Monday to ask why you invited them -- assuming they didn't just turn up at your door demanding to be fed?

😄

No, of course not. Church wedding. We only did registry office when we got married but church is an important part of my husband's life so that had to follow eventually and the time was right this year. We did it as an extended anniversary celebration because I said I wasn't going to be a bride again and pretend like we haven't been living as a married couple for years already. Fortunately, the minister went along with that. She was great, I must say. Everything went well. Hosting parties is just not my thing. 

• Like 5

Red week can always be referred to as a “friend”. It’s discreet while still getting unexpected-ness of the arrival across (learned the term in college before a co-ed trip overseas).

I recently tried out the usual euphemisms on Alex, and he knew 'em all.  Of course he has sisters.  Yes, "my friend" is a discrete phrase, just don't assume that the guys won't know what you're talking about.

Of course the code words may differ outside the US.

Camper, did you perhaps mean to say "unexpected-ness" (with an n)?

If someone told me their 'friend' was visiting I'd take it literally and end up really confused! One of my mates, who always has slightly gross terms, calls it 'surfing the crimson wave,' lol. 'Shark week' is pretty common. I've never taken the euphemisms to be designed to hide something from men, it's just less blunt that plainly stating the facts.

• Like 1

We don't generally say "my friend is visiting," though -- more often "I got my friend," an odd phrase that's is unlikely to be taken in any sort of literal way.

Likewise "the curse," as in "I got the curse today"

There's also "fell off the roof," but I don't believe I've ever heard anyone actually use that expression.

... I'd still be blank. Me, with a simple, trusting expression, "You got your friend what?" 

I don't use any euphemisms. Nor do my sister in laws, though they are both nurses so used to saying things as it is. 

• Like 3

Camper, did you perhaps mean to say "unexpected-ness" (with an n)?

Yep. Didn’t even notice.

*quickly goes off to correct that as she hears a mosquito in her car. May it be gone by morning.*
  • Like 1