Introverts, how is your day?

And here I've been thinking that "marrow" was the British word for zucchini.  :huh:

Yeah, they can get really big, especially if you let them ripen on the vine.  One of Mom's neighbors gave me one a few months ago that had been hiding under the leaves until the plant died.  It was fatter than yours, and I assumed I'd have to peel it and remove the seeds.  But no, everything was still tender, and it was delicious.

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

And here I've been thinking that "marrow" was the British word for zucchini.  :huh:

And I thought it was what you found inside a bone.

So what the heck is it?

The British term marrow is any various summer squashes including cocozelle and zucchini (courgette). (Per dictionary.com)

Ya beat me to it, Camper!  But here's what I was typing:

I think the full term is "vegetable marrow," Arcadia, if that makes you feel any better.

If I'm understanding the Wikipedia explanation, a marrow is basically a mature (i.e., by American standards overgrown) zucchini, though apparently special varieties are generally used, in order to get the largest possible fruit.

I'd better not go to England, then, as the only squash (squashes?) I can stand are the really small ones. And even those I have to bury the flavor in about a cup of garlic. :D 

I've never referred to a courgette as a marrow, though I accept it may be a type of marrow. A courgette you buy in a supermarket is generally about 18cm (7in) long and not all that, er, girthy. Trying to define things makes my head hurt. 

And don't worry Arcadia, we don't force feed folks squash at the border... not even the English. :P

• Like 2

Ah, the joy of nature programs. Sean Bean's Yorkshire wildlife voiceover tells me...

"This black slug is looking for a mate." Ewwww. 

"They raise their heads and sense each other with their tentacles." Ewwwwwww. 

"Slugs are hermaphrodites. Over the next hour they swap sperm and fertilise each others eggs." EWWWWWWWWWWWWW. 

WHY, SEAN, WHY?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Does one of them get eaten after it's over? Perhaps, by the other one? After all, what's a nature program without at least one act of cannibalism?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Ah, the joy of nature programs. Sean Bean's Yorkshire wildlife voiceover tells me...

"Slugs are hermaphrodites. Over the next hour they swap sperm and fertilise each others eggs." EWWWWWWWWWWWWW. 

WHY, SEAN, WHY?!

Isn't it just the usual slash fanfiction written by Mother Nature?
At least they use their tentacles only to sense each other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

WHY, SEAN, WHY?!

Would it have been better, worse, or about the same if Benedict had done the voice over?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

And don't worry Arcadia, we don't force feed folks squash at the border... not even the English

Dang..! Now I have to drop the destination a couple of notch down my list since there is no squash force feeding to American and English at the border. But don't feel bad, I had moved it up a couple of notch previously after dragon on the flag, so yah, it remains the same as ever. Not too shabby.

10 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

WHY, SEAN, WHY?!

And how do you think the slugs feel when they know you are watching and commenting on its sex life this way hmm?

9 minutes ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

Would it have been better, worse, or about the same if Benedict had done the voice over?

Of course it's better! 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

I don't think it would have made any difference, I'd be equally as repulsed. 🤢

I meant the English would be doing (or not doing as the case may be) the force feeding not being force fed. :P

I'm back to feeling nauseous, the stress of everything is getting to me. Btw, I haven't heard back from the artist since I returned the print last week, I'll give him today to respond otherwise I shall be emailing him yet again tomorrow morning. Just admit you f*cked up and give me back my money FFS... it can go into the boiler fund.  

• Like 1

MY STUDENT FINANCE HAS BEEN APPROVED!! Oh thank god, it was never needed more! Such a weight off my shoulders. I wanted to check yesterday but couldn't handle another financial kick-in-the-teeth if it had been declined. YAAAAAAAAY! 

• Like 3

Print update:

HA! Today, out of the blue, I got a print delivered - and he's redone it with the proper colours! It's still slightly pixellated, which I expected since the scan is obviously not high enough res, but I can deal with that because it likely won't be obvious when up on the wall. The colours must have been obvious when he looked at this new print in comparison to the old one, but there's no letter or no email... I'm just glad it's sorted and so it's another thing up in the air I can stop stressing about!

• Like 4

It's great! So two things off the list, student finance must be a big burden in your mind.

I assume student finance means student loan that you'll pay back sometimes later? Or is it a scholarship?

20 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I meant the English would be doing (or not doing as the case may be) the force feeding not being force fed. :P

Oh. I'm not sure that it affects the rating on my list much, although to be honest, the other way around seems more fun. 

AH! How nice! 

You have to tell us about narwhal if it's part of what you study. I always feel that species is magical and belongs to fairy tale.

Had fun one time when I tried to convince a friend that it exists (and won a bet in a process), I still think they should be called sea unicorn, if they haven't.

Don't think I'll be studying narwhals, but I'm going to try my best to steer everything I do into the direction of whales and dolphins. Narwhal horns used to be sold as genuine unicorn horns back in the day. 

13 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Narwhal horns used to be sold as genuine unicorn horns back in the day. 

Gasp! Nasty people! Isn't it enough that they trade rhino's horn? And that is even when they don't know that rhinos are actually fat unicorns!

I just got slightly made fun of in the post office for the way I talk... it wasn't mean spirited though so it's okay.