Introverts, how is your day?

On 10/27/2018 at 3:55 AM, J.P. said:

Why are Mycroft and John having a breakfast together? Are you trying to imply something?

OH LOOK! Shhhhhshsshshsshsssstttt.

Now I'm going to get kidnapped.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:51 AM, Pseudonym said:

Or I could get a burkini. :D

If everything fails, you can always cover your face.

Click at your own risk, my friend said I gave her scar for life by showing her the picture of this trend in China.

weird-asian-trends-facekini.jpg

You know it’s fall in Minnesota when you wished you had grabbed your winter coat while johnspec and his friend play on a playground that is empty (school still in session for many kids) and you’re sitting on a bench with a gentle breeze.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

^  Indeed.  I put on my fleece jacket to take the dogs out and was wishing I’d grabbed my winter coat instead.

I think someone was trying to steal my car, or something out of my car.  The lock on the driver's side was jimmied, and now the guard that fits over the lock is broken off.  Must have seen me or someone coming and run off.  At least they didn't get my car, I guess, but now I have to pay to fix the lock before someone else gets in.  *Sigh*.

That happened to me once. They broke the vent window (this was a '62 VW) to get in, then tried to start the engine using a screwdriver or something as a key.  Either they failed or somebody came out to the parking lot and they ran off.  I needed to pay for repairs, but at least I still had a car.

Doesn't insurance help with repairs in a situation like that?

I don't know about a window, but I don't think the lock is covered.

Depending on coverage & the insurance company, the damage would be covered after the deductible. If the person who did it is ever caught, they would have to pay back the full amount of the repairs. A good insurance company would make sure the amount of your deductible was paid to you first before taking the rest to cover their loss. I’m still waiting on my check from when a neighbor damaged my bumper with his car. He never showed up to the court hearing when my insurance company went after him.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Doesn't insurance help with repairs in a situation like that?

I think all I had was liability insurance.  Repair costs for that car were pretty reasonable anyhow.  The first time I drove in snow, I rear-ended a Buick station wagon (not advisable in a VW bug) and pretty much demolished the front end of my car.  The Buick had only a dimple in its rear bumper, but that cost more to fix than buying a new headlight and used left front fender and trunk lid (this was the original type of Beetle, with the engine in the rear), plus painting the used parts.

One of my friends in uni had his car nicked for times over a period of a few weeks, and once they left the screwdriver in the car and broke back in the next night to get it back. Stupid thing is it was a shitty car on a student street, there was nothing in there of any value. 

I'm not sure why anyone was after my car either.  It's old and scratched up, and I don't keep anything in there at all, except a few things in the glove compartment that have no value.

When I took my VW to have the window replaced, the repair guy said that the Bugs were popular targets for theft because the chasses made good dune buggies.  Dunno how he would know that, though, unless he was running a chop shop!

Back then my colleague told us a story about the bike he rode to school when he was a kid.  Based on advice by his parent, he secured it properly, with proper lock and all, and then found that...the lock was intact, and safely protecting the wheel, like this.

nice-save-1.jpg

• Sad 1

^ That's happened to some people I know too, lol.  That's why you're supposed to wrap the lock around the bike frame instead of the wheel.

• Like 1

But then again I had seen picture with the lock being left with the bike frame, and the rest are gone. XD

True, but the other parts are usually cheaper to replace.  :happy:

The bike should be locked to both the frame and the wheel. I’ve seen bikes where the front wheel can quickly be removed from the front so that it can be locked with the back wheel and frame.

• Like 1

Hmm, I've never had a bike lock that stretched long enough to lock both properly.  But I haven't looked for a new one in a long time.

11 hours ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

I’ve seen bikes where the front wheel can quickly be removed from the front so that it can be locked with the back wheel and frame.

Better yet, put the disassembled bike in a carrying case and take it with you!

• Like 1