Introverts, how is your day?

Like, I suspect, most people, most of my early friendships were with people I went to school with or who lived in the same neighborhood. As an "adult", though, my friendships have come about because I get involved in my interests ... because I joined a book or art club, mostly. Made one friend sitting in line to get concert tickets. My brother made friends joining a hiking group. In other words, doing things we would do anyway. Some of the friendships are limited to the sphere in which we first met people, but a few have grown beyond that. Mind, I don't make a LOT of friends that way, but I feel like I only need a few good ones anyway.

I have no problem turning down invitations to parties and such, either. Whether new friends or old, if I don't want to go, I just tell them thanks, but it's not my thing. If that turns them off, I just assume it's not someone I would be good friends with anyway.

I do have a problem with socializing for networking reasons, though. For the sake of my income, I know I should mingle in the "right" circles more often. But I hate it, so I don't, and I'm probably not as successful as I could be as a result. But it would make me miserable to achieve success in that way, so I guess it's a good trade off. (?) Poor and stressed out about it, but otherwise happy.....

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

P.S Jen, like your new avatar! Again, I have problem remembering where it comes from. TRF? HOB?

I don't know 😂 I saw this pic on fanfiction .net, then on Google Image, but I don't know where it comes from... Does anyone know?? In all cases, that's a gorgeous picture!! 

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

As an "adult", though, my friendships have come about because I get involved in my interests ... because I joined a book or art club, mostly. Made one friend sitting in line to get concert tickets. My brother made friends joining a hiking group. In other words, doing things we would do anyway.

I wish that'd work for me.  :(  When I participate in clubs or classes that interest me, it always turns out that everyone else there came with friends, and they don't really care to engage with anyone outside of their own group.  Even if it's just two people.

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Mind, I don't make a LOT of friends that way, but I feel like I only need a few good ones anyway.

At this point I'd settle for just 1, lol.

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I do have a problem with socializing for networking reasons, though.

Ugh, ditto.

The main problem I've had with making friends through clubs, at least in recent years, is that I have a rather unusual set of interests and outlooks, so that when I join a group devoted to one specific thing, I'm likely to be the only member who doesn't agree on some other thing.

Just as a particularly unusual example, I've enjoyed belonging to science-fiction clubs in a couple places where I've lived, so when we moved again I did some internet searches and found such a club not too far from us.  Fortunately I signed up for their online newsletter before we ever attended a meeting, and it turned out they're really heavy into occult stuff.  Now I'm not anti-occult; in fact I'm pretty well convinced that some of it really does work.  But they sounded like a group of True Believers.  (And I reserve the right to be a skeptic regarding just about everything.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

The main problem I've had with making friends through clubs, at least in recent years, is that I have a rather unusual set of interests and outlooks,

I run into that problem as well.

Another issue I've had with clubs lately is that very few people stick with it.  Most only show up for one meeting, and then you never see them again.  It's harder to make friends when you don't get to spend time with the same people consistently.

17 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

(And I reserve the right to be a skeptic regarding just about everything.)

tenor.gif

• Like 1

My best guess would be "Friday's Child."  Hang on, I should be able to at least find out whether that's right or not.

Nope, not "Friday's Child."  Will have to give it some more thought.

22 hours ago, Jen said:

I don't know 😂 I saw this pic on fanfiction .net, then on Google Image, but I don't know where it comes from... Does anyone know?? In all cases, that's a gorgeous picture!! 

I could be wrong, but I sorta think it's where he's laughing at John whilst putting his scarf back on, at the end of Empty Hearse.

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

My best guess would be "Friday's Child."  Hang on, I should be able to at least find out whether that's right or not.

Nope, not "Friday's Child."  Will have to give it some more thought.

The one with the big amoeba? I can't remember the name of it. Wait ... Immunity Syndrome? 

I know it's after Bones tells Spock off, but it might be a different episode.

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The one with the big amoeba? I can't remember the name of it. Wait ... Immunity Syndrome? 

I know it's after Bones tells Spock off, but it might be a different episode.

I think you got the name right (I always get that one mixed up with the giant ice-cream cone, AKA "The Doomsday Machine.")  But I don't offhand recall the ending of that one.  Just checked a couple of online transcripts, but they were mostly just dialog.  That's the episode where Kirk says (twice) that he's looking forward to shore leave "on some lovely [yeoman walks by & Kirk leers] planet," and they didn't even include that blatant subtext.  Where is Ariane DeVere when you really need her?

In any case, yes, it's clearly one of those end scenes where they've just insulted Spock again, just before the little ha-ha music plays.

1 hour ago, Jen said:

I'll watch the end of "The empty hearse" again, I'll tell you if you're right 😅

Go for it!   :applause:

• Thanks 1

I could be wrong, but I think it may be an off-screen moment.  It looks more like a Benedict smile than a Sherlock smile.  Here's a fuller version.  He appears to be standing close to someone with long blonde hair, in a coat.  (I think I spot Martin's hair behind his head.)

67d53c6803fcea21dc45ad6024265555.jpg

• Like 2

I think that's a slightly different shot, although presumably from the same event.  The tip of the collar is against a somewhat different part of his face (though of course that would be easy enough to Photoshop on the small shot), and I think his head is turned a bit more toward the camera in the large shot (though it's hard to be sure due to the lower resolution of the small one).

At any rate, if it  *is* a different shot, that implies it's from a film or video, rather than a photograph.  It could still be a non-Sherlock moment, but I think the odds are decreased.

Added:  And if that is indeed John / Martin behind him, then it's apparently from Series 3 (or from the filming thereof).

• Like 1

Ah, yes.  Here's the larger version.  I still think it looks more Benedict than Sherlock.  Possibly even the same moment but a few seconds later, as you can still see the woman's hair strands on the right.  But hard to tell one way or the other.

5039f1fc57ab07c7f06295ba58e43ee5.jpg

Hmm, in that last one, there's a brownish object near the bottom, more or less beneath his mouth.  It looks to be a square corner of something -- maybe he's wearing a brownish shirt and that's a corner of the collar?  Oh, wait a minute, in the other big picture, there's something vaguely similar, possible the inside of his Belstaff, with a pale lining and the inside of the lapel?  In that earlier one, if that is indeed the inside of his Belstaff, he's pulling it open, so that the lapel is much further from his face than in the most recent one.

Not sure if that's strands of hair or just some random wispy substance.

Random semi-unrelated fact:  Did you know there's a town named Lapel, Indiana?  (Less than 60 miles -- 100 km -- from Liberty, Indiana, in fact.)  They named it that because the plot of land it was originally laid out on was shaped like a lapel.

4 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

It looks to be a square corner of something --

It looks to me like the corner on the green part of the coat sticking up in the first picture, just moved closer to his face.  I think whoever that person is may be putting their arm around him or something.

7 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Not sure if that's strands of hair or just some random wispy substance.

Looks like hair to me, and in a shape similar to the portion of the hair closest to his nose in the first picture (some strands sticking out, some in loops).

14 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Did you know there's a town named Lapel, Indiana?

I do now!

It's true that it looks more like a Benedict smile than a Sherlock smile !!!🤔  

We'll find it!!! 😅

In all cases, I'm in awe of this picture... A killer smile!!! I can't stop looking at this awesome picture 😍 😁 thanks for the fuller version ! 

@Jen, you see what happens here? We are sleuthing over your avatar with deep analysis  and discussions. This is our nutty world when we run out of Sherlock episodes to discuss, although I wonder why we haven't cracked the 247 (237?) types of tobacco's ash. Geez guys, slackers!

It seems like you are as nuts though, :D the fact that you haven't run away screaming tells me that.

On 11/13/2020 at 11:02 PM, Arcadia said:

I do have a problem with socializing for networking reasons, though. For the sake of my income, I know I should mingle in the "right" circles more often. But I hate it, so I don't, and I'm probably not as successful as I could be as a result. But it would make me miserable to achieve success in that way, so I guess it's a good trade off. (?) Poor and stressed out about it, but otherwise happy.....

Thank you!! I've been looking for someone to validate me on that, but everyone else told me to network for my advantage (pssst, including Carol), but I worry it would make me unlove doing what I love (excuses!). My wallet disagrees strongly with me, sigh..

This world belongs to extrovert people, at least the wealth, so it seems to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

everyone else told me to network for my advantage (pssst, including Carol)

I don't recall saying that, but there's networking and then there's networking.  If it makes you feel uneasy, then don't do it, that's my motto.

• Tongue 1

I'm so happy when I find a forum like this ! I think I'm crazy, yes, and I really like to come here 😂

It's fun to be crazy!!!😁

Glad my avatar is such a source of discussion 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jen said:

I'm so happy when I find a forum like this !

We're glad you came along, Jen!  Most of us have been here almost four years (at least) now, and were starting to repeat ourselves.  It's really nice to hear some fresh perspectives!

2 hours ago, Jen said:

Glad my avatar is such a source of discussion

See what I mean?   :D

• Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 3:27 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I think you got the name right (I always get that one mixed up with the giant ice-cream cone, AKA "The Doomsday Machine.")  But I don't offhand recall the ending of that one.  Just checked a couple of online transcripts, but they were mostly just dialog.  That's the episode where Kirk says (twice) that he's looking forward to shore leave "on some lovely [yeoman walks by & Kirk leers] planet," and they didn't even include that blatant subtext.  Where is Ariane DeVere when you really need her?

In any case, yes, it's clearly one of those end scenes where they've just insulted Spock again, just before the little ha-ha music plays.

I just checked, I was right, yay! :cowdance:  It's right after Bones says "Shut up, Spock, we're trying to rescue you!"

I'm so proud of myself.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:45 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

@Jen, you see what happens here? We are sleuthing over your avatar with deep analysis  and discussions. This is our nutty world when we run out of Sherlock episodes to discuss, although I wonder why we haven't cracked the 247 (237?) types of tobacco's ash. Geez guys, slackers!

It seems like you are as nuts though, :D the fact that you haven't run away screaming tells me that.

Yep, she's one of us alright. Poor kid. :D 

On 11/16/2020 at 2:45 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Thank you!! I've been looking for someone to validate me on that, but everyone else told me to network for my advantage (pssst, including Carol), but I worry it would make me unlove doing what I love (excuses!). My wallet disagrees strongly with me, sigh..

Yep. Sigh. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It's right after Bones says "Shut up, Spock, we're trying to rescue you!"

Hey, that does sound like the place!   :applause:  

But one minor quibble:  I believe the end of that line was simply "... we're rescuing you!"  *goes to check*  Yup, checked a couple of online transcript sites, and they both have the shorter wording.  (Just too bad neither one mentions the nods.)