Introverts, how is your day?

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

It's hard to find a good example, but I thought I was getting a deep blue-gray, kind of a slate color.

Sort of like this scarf, but not exactly...

artistic-weavers-blankets-throws-s001510

What I ended up getting was a very dark, almost black, midnight navy.

I love just about any color in the blue-gray range *except* the really dark one and the really bright ones (either of which tends to wash me out), and I agree about the difficulty of buying online.  It can be hard enough in person, depending on the shop's lighting.  I have been known to ask permission to step just outside, for the natural light.

Pink is another tough one online -- is this particular pink actually mauve (great!) or apricot (makes me look sick)?

We had to buy wallpaper recently (don't ask, long story) and the first store I went to, I was told they "only sell it online." I just looked at the clerk, thinking: "Are you kidding? How could anyone possibly pick out a color from those tiny little samples on a computer screen?" (I don't think she appreciated my expression.) Really, how can this be a thing? Sometimes commerce makes no sense to me.....

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

I recently bought wallpaper online. I didn't like it so it went straight back.

Did you end up buying wallpaper in person, or what?

I've never bought or hung wallpaper.  I used to think it might be fun to do one small accent wall in paper, but I've always chickened out and painted instead.

No I decided to paint and just buy a big print to hang up instead. My bedroom has wallpaper on a 'feature' wall. It's not fun to put up but it looks nice. 

5 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I recently bought wallpaper online. I didn't like it so it went straight back. 

My point exactly. I don't want to be bothered with that, I want the right thing the first time! Grrr.

I shopped for it on the online version of our local DIY shop, picked what I wanted and went to see it and pick it up in person. I wasn't amused when I discovered it was online only, but at least I could do it click and collect and just drop it back into the shop to return it so I didn't have to deal with delivery. 

Our equivalent (I assume) to your DIY stores are called home centers, or at least the big chains are.  Some of them emphasize building supplies (wood, concrete, etc.), some have a better assortment of fixtures (lighting, plumbing, etc.), and some are more oriented toward decorating (carpet, paint, etc.).  Plus just about all if them have pretty good gardening sections (though generally not as good as at an actual garden center).

Sounds the same, yea. The one by me is massive because it deals with trade as well as private customers so has pretty much everything. 

Gah, the Quote selection doesn't always work when it's from previous page!

@specific color ditto to my annoyance. Why is it so common that people determine colors only by those box of coloring pencil they got in primary school? I got a lot of complain when I describe a color of dark greyish brown, from a company with wood painting as one of their scope. They don't 'get' what it is.

@Whataps I'm grateful for this apps as I can't imagine my phone bill without those living away from everyone. However, it's also a curse because of how easy everyone could reach you. On top of that, it's ultimate curse because we use it for working that really blur the line with personal use. On top top of that, it has group chat which thankfully make it easier to coordinate with multiple people at work or personal, but it's a living hell when the phone doesn't stop receiving message. Even when I have excluded myself from as many groups as I could.

On 9/23/2018 at 5:11 AM, Arcadia said:

We had to buy wallpaper recently (don't ask, long story) and the first store I went to, I was told they "only sell it online."

Since my role model is someone who doesn't care about social cue, eh.... why do you have to buy new wallpaper? :P

Did the old one smell like pee or because it had too many bullet holes?

@store that only sell online

That sounds ridiculous! I thought it's the other way around unless it doesn't actually have physical store. At the very least you should be able to view the sample? Otherwise, why do you need the store???? PEOPLE! Or it is a store that sells multiple other things?

I don't use wallpaper as well, paint is how we always do it but lately I get really pissed at how much it doesn't last/look bad easily I'm considering many other finishes as well. Because of bad construction, I'm struggling with defects at home and I really really want to have cosy library corner and it's not going to happen if my wall doesn't cooperate. But can't afford renovation yet, and even if I could, I'd hate the mess and the strangers and have no time to supervise them and I trust no one in this field.

• Sad 1

Umm... what to reply when someone texts 'I miss you'?

Not romantic thing, as blunt as I am, pretty sure it's not, we are not singles anyway. I think it's more like brotherly way of saying (he is older by ten over years than me and very brotherly). This is from a colleague who left the company couple of months ago, he was ousted because of something that they thought he had done (but he didn't). It was messy time and our team got much closer at the end.  I know he was/still in bad place that I still maintain contact with him. We have group chat but he pm me. So I just said, I'm sure the rest of the gang miss you too. Errr.. because even if I know for sure he doesn't mean anything and probably just a lip service, it's still cringey for me to just return it.

• Like 1

I normally either ignore it or say thanks, lol! If it's a kid I might force myself to text 'I miss you too' back, but it's likely a lie. 

It depends, but "I miss you" usually indicates to me that someone is feeling either nostalgic or sad.  If it's the former, I'll try to respond by recalling a mutual good/funny memory to reminisce about, like "The other day I was just thinking about that time you [insert memory here]."  After that the subject naturally changes.  If it's the latter, I'll try a sympathetic response, like "Sounds like things have been hard for you since you left.  How's it going?"  Responding with questions usually does nicely too.  A thoughtful response makes them feel like they are being thought about (which is mostly what they're hoping for), even if you don't particularly miss them, lol.

Of course, the easiest thing is just to ignore it, which I've also been known to do.  But I've found that no response tends to lead to problems, so I attempt the above unless I really just can't be bothered that day.

P.S.  I've missed you, VBS.  :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Since my role model is someone who doesn't care about social cue, eh.... why do you have to buy new wallpaper? :P

Did the old one smell like pee or because it had too many bullet holes?

Okay, I reckon it's only a long story because once someone gets me started I keep ranting about all the things that have gone wrong and it's taken over my entire summer and I'm sick of it and majorly stressed out by it and …. AK!!!!!!!!!

Short version … we had a pipe break back in June, and the entire basement was flooded, and the water soaked into the walls, so they had to be torn out, and they had wallpaper on them. So we had to get new wallpaper for the new walls.

Slightly longer version … the company assigned to restore the house is a joke, the work STILL isn't done, I have to call daily and I hate my life.

There's LOTS more but if I get started on it I'll be here all day...……….

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

@store that only sell online

That sounds ridiculous! I thought it's the other way around unless it doesn't actually have physical store. At the very least you should be able to view the sample? Otherwise, why do you need the store???? PEOPLE! Or it is a store that sells multiple other things?

Oh, they sell multiple things, and apparently wallpaper isn't a big seller, so they figure why devote space to a bunch of samples? I figure, why sell it at all if you can't do it right?

In this area, the internet is killing off most retail … is that true in other places? I was driving around the other day, and noticed several new shops opening up … and every single one was a service of some kind … barbershop, restaurants, dry cleaners, etc. Nobody selling goods, just services. Except the grocery stores, but a new one of those hasn't been built in ages, and even they are pushing online shopping. A few clothing stores are hanging on, and most of the "big box" department stores, hardware stores, things like that; but they are cutting back on inventory. Cute little shops where you can go buy unusual things, or stores where you can get specialized things (like wallpaper) … those have almost disappeared. Is that happening everywhere, or is just us?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... the water soaked into the walls, so they had to be torn out, and they had wallpaper on them. So we had to get new wallpaper for the new walls.

I'm missing something here.  The old walls had been papered, OK -- but those walls were gone.  Why couldn't you just paint the new walls?  Or did you particularly like the look of paper in that area?

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

In this area, the internet is killing off most retail … is that true in other places? I was driving around the other day, and noticed several new shops opening up … and every single one was a service of some kind … barbershop, restaurants, dry cleaners, etc. Nobody selling goods, just services. Except the grocery stores, but a new one of those hasn't been built in ages, and even they are pushing online shopping. A few clothing stores are hanging on, and most of the "big box" department stores, hardware stores, things like that; but they are cutting back on inventory. Cute little shops where you can go buy unusual things, or stores where you can get specialized things (like wallpaper) … those have almost disappeared. Is that happening everywhere, or is it just us?

I'm seeing the same thing here, though it started many decades ago.  When I was a little kid, my parents did practically all their shopping around the courthouse square in the local small town.  There were two chain grocery stores, three drugstores (one with a soda fountain), two shoe stores (one of which also sold some clothing), a ladies' dress & lingerie shop, a basket shop, a school-supply store, a hardware store, one or two doctors, a dentist, a bank, and a movie theater.

Then Indianapolis started expanding toward us, and shopping centers sprang up in its suburbs.  Of the businesses I mentioned above, all that's left around the little town square are the movie theater (which is now a special-event venue) and the bank.  Then, as you say, the big-box stores and the internet happened.

BUT all this is a serious case of deja vu.  For over a hundred years starting in the late 1800's, the  Montgomery Ward and Sears Roebuck catalogs provided one-stop shopping (like the big-box stores) from the comfort of one's own home (like the internet).

20 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm missing something here.  The old walls had been papered, OK -- but those walls were gone.  Why couldn't you just paint the new walls?  Or did you particularly like the look of paper in that area?

Yep. We had paint down here originally, but wallpaper just works better. Warmer, softer, etc.

35 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm seeing the same thing here, though it started many decades ago.  When I was a little kid, my parents did practically all their shopping around the courthouse square in the local small town.  There were two chain grocery stores, three drugstores (one with a soda fountain), two shoe stores (one of which also sold some clothing), a ladies' dress & lingerie shop, a basket shop, a school-supply store, a hardware store, one or two doctors, a dentist, a bank, and a movie theater.

Then Indianapolis started expanding toward us, and shopping centers sprang up in its suburbs.  Of the businesses I mentioned above, all that's left around the little town square are the movie theater (which is now a special-event venue) and the bank.  Then, as you say, the big-box stores and the internet happened.

BUT all this is a serious case of deja vu.  For over a hundred years starting in the late 1800's, the  Montgomery Ward and Sears Roebuck catalogs provided one-stop shopping (like the big-box stores) from the comfort of one's own home (like the internet).

We're regressing, in other words. :smile: 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Artemis said:

It depends, but "I miss you" usually indicates to me that someone is feeling either nostalgic or sad.  If it's the former, I'll try to respond by recalling a mutual good/funny memory to reminisce about, like "The other day I was just thinking about that time you [insert memory here]."  After that the subject naturally changes.  If it's the latter, I'll try a sympathetic response, like "Sounds like things have been hard for you since you left.  How's it going?"  Responding with questions usually does nicely too.  A thoughtful response makes them feel like they are being thought about (which is mostly what they're hoping for), even if you don't particularly miss them, lol.

Of course, the easiest thing is just to ignore it, which I've also been known to do.  But I've found that no response tends to lead to problems, so I attempt the above unless I really just can't be bothered that day.

P.S.  I've missed you, VBS.  :D

Aw, it is so nice of you... eh... wait...  .  ..  ....!!! :blink:

I do feel sympathetic to him, and maybe because we are more similar in our background compared to others, he tends to share more story with me, including how he is now. And I make efforts to reply to him instead of just ignoring messages for days even for good friends like I do to most others (good god! I remember there are some that I haven't replied yet and it's already outside the time frame!) because I think he is feeling very low.  Hopefully my response sounds sympathetic enough for others, because it's obvious I dodged this one. Sigh... words are tricky.

16 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Okay, I reckon it's only a long story because once someone gets me started I keep ranting about all the things that have gone wrong and it's taken over my entire summer and I'm sick of it and majorly stressed out by it and …. AK!!!!!!!!!

Short version … we had a pipe break back in June, and the entire basement was flooded, and the water soaked into the walls, so they had to be torn out, and they had wallpaper on them. So we had to get new wallpaper for the new walls.

Slightly longer version … the company assigned to restore the house is a joke, the work STILL isn't done, I have to call daily and I hate my life.

There's LOTS more but if I get started on it I'll be here all day...……….

Oh, they sell multiple things, and apparently wallpaper isn't a big seller, so they figure why devote space to a bunch of samples? I figure, why sell it at all if you can't do it right?

In this area, the internet is killing off most retail … is that true in other places? I was driving around the other day, and noticed several new shops opening up … and every single one was a service of some kind … barbershop, restaurants, dry cleaners, etc. Nobody selling goods, just services. Except the grocery stores, but a new one of those hasn't been built in ages, and even they are pushing online shopping. A few clothing stores are hanging on, and most of the "big box" department stores, hardware stores, things like that; but they are cutting back on inventory. Cute little shops where you can go buy unusual things, or stores where you can get specialized things (like wallpaper) … those have almost disappeared. Is that happening everywhere, or is just us?

Good gracious, I can imagine how stressful it was! And here I am complaining about some damp walls. At least it's one time thingy, I hope the pipes don't have habit of breaking. Have to admit I'm disappointed that your wall didn't go down because of cracks cause by smiley face....

Regarding stores...um.. I still see a healthy dose of physical stores around in three places I frequently go. And I am very grateful for that, especially for unusual stuff that I mostly find by looking accidentally. But bookshop is definitely dying, the surviving ones are big chain or those specialized in catering for school, and music store are almost dead, but that is old story.

The trend that I see now is actually restaurant or small-medium eatery. With delivery services and food apps, the importance of physical store is diminishing although I don't think it'll be totally gone, but it's not uncommon to see some surviving with almost no customers but food are going out for deliveries.

Really weird this morning when my alarm went off. I couldn't figure out what was going on - what day was it? Was I meant to be going somewhere? Was there someone to do? It must have caught me mid-dream, I was completely confused. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Really weird this morning when my alarm went off. I couldn't figure out what was going on - what day was it? Was I meant to be going somewhere? Was there someone to do? It must have caught me mid-dream, I was completely confused. 

Errrrrr..... I think I have never had any occasion when I wake up in the morning thinking whether I have someone to do that day.  :lol5:

But then again, my life might not be as exciting as yours!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Good gracious, I can imagine how stressful it was! And here I am complaining about some damp walls. At least it's one time thingy, I hope the pipes don't have habit of breaking. Have to admit I'm disappointed that your wall didn't go down because of cracks cause by smiley face....

Regarding stores...um.. I still see a healthy dose of physical stores around in three places I frequently go. And I am very grateful for that, especially for unusual stuff that I mostly find by looking accidentally. But bookshop is definitely dying, the surviving ones are big chain or those specialized in catering for school, and music store are almost dead, but that is old story.

The trend that I see now is actually restaurant or small-medium eatery. With delivery services and food apps, the importance of physical store is diminishing although I don't think it'll be totally gone, but it's not uncommon to see some surviving with almost no customers but food are going out for deliveries.

Yeah, the Chinese restaurant nearby almost never has diners in it anymore … but they must do a healthy takeout business, because they wouldn't be able to afford their rent otherwise. It's sort of spooky in there; huge dining area, but almost never anyone in it. 

Bookshops … I think we have one left, and it is also a music store, app store, bakery, toy store, newsstand, knickknack shop and for all I know they have auto repair out the back. On the other hand, we have a couple of "used book" stores that do a healthy business just selling books. Go figure.

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I buy everything online, so I can't say much. I hate going shopping in person. 

Heathen! :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Bookshops … I think we have one left, and it is also a music store, app store, bakery, toy store, newsstand, knickknack shop and for all I know they have auto repair out the back. On the other hand, we have a couple of "used book" stores that do a healthy business just selling books. Go figure.

The used-book store is selling books at a price that people are willing to pay.  Plus there's the "recycling" aspect.  I hardly ever buy new books any more.  Actually, I don't buy all that many books these days.  Most of what I used to look up in my books is now online.

I would happily still subscribe to magazines, though -- except that all of my favorites have gone out of business, or gone all generic, or gone internet-only.  Phooey on 'em!